Comedowntothewoods #3 mostly moaning and free stuff’

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Her travel counsellors ad actually came up as a sponsored post in my feed this week. I really don't know how travel counsellors work as they seem to gift holidays to people with big followings but the ads are never done in a way that it inspires me to use them.

After all the freebie stays gifted to her so called insta pals I don’t see any one of them forking out with their own earth nuggets to stay in Smurf House. What a white elephant it is.

Reactions: 3
Did anyone else spot the state of the velvet blue curved sofa the other day in her stories? Stained to buggery. I mean who’d have thought it would be a bad idea to put a velvet sofa in a rental property?! 😂😂

I don’t know who she thought would be staying in the place, but it was never going to end well for that sofa!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
Did anyone else spot the state of the velvet blue curved sofa the other day in her stories? Stained to buggery. I mean who’d have thought it would be a bad idea to put a velvet sofa in a rental property?! 😂😂

I don’t know who she thought would be staying in the place, but it was never going to end well for that sofa!

Decent quality cotton velvet is robust and cleans well, but why they chose to have a sofa made that looks like it belongs in a shopping mall or departure lounge is beyond me.

It looks too fixed, too upright, too firm, and too long. Nobody wants a couch that feels like an upholstered bench! How do you curl up or snuggle?! It might be well made and impactful, but it belongs in a conference break out room, not a holiday let.

Reactions: 10
Decent quality cotton velvet is robust and cleans well, but why they chose to have a sofa made that looks like it belongs in a shopping mall or departure lounge is beyond me.

It looks too fixed, too upright, too firm, and too long. Nobody wants a couch that feels like an upholstered bench! How do you curl up or snuggle?! It might be well made and impactful, but it belongs in a conference break out room, not a holiday let.
Agree. Who wants to sit in a row like an….um…..dentist waiting room? 😂. There’s not enough comfortable seating for 12 and the living room area isn’t big enough. Plus you will be publicly shamed for any stains on the sofa - whether you made them or not

ps - I hate that lamp. It give me me a headache

Reactions: 11
Well put it this way - I got flights for 5 and a lovely air b&b apartment in Rome for a week for around the cost of a week in Katie’s place. I didn’t have to do a horrible drive (and pay for fuel), the weather was better in Rome and there were far more and better food options that the very ordinary looking pub across the road. Plus the apartment had its own lovely private outdoor area and we could use that for as long as we wanted rather than a garden that we had to vacate by 10pm . So why would I want to go to Devon? In summer, we are going to an all inclusive resort in Dubai for two weeks for not much more than the cost of two weeks at Katie’s place. Again - why would I book Devon. It’s too expensive/not surrounded by good enough facilities/too remote to be a destination place to go for our wider family weekend meet ups. The competition for that is so fierce - a slide and low level lighting in the loo is totally irrelevant.

Reactions: 10
There are some amazing places to stay in Devon, really high end with huge grounds, own pool and incredible views.

Katie has priced herself as something super luxurious but really it’s just a house in the middle of a village, with a ring outside space. That’s ok if you are in the centre of Dartmouth or Salcombe but she’s not.

Reactions: 6
The problem presumably was that so much was spent on it, they’ve had to price at this. But no one wants to stay in it (partly due to cost) there’s a real risk that they won’t be able to claim the tax breaks for it being a holiday key as it not rented enough. What a nightmare. Why do none of the liggers that turn up for the free stays ever put their hands in their pockets and stay? It doesn’t even have any reviews on booking dot com because no one’s paid to stay in it. The “friends” could l pay to stay for a couple of nights only and get a family member who hasn’t stayed for free before to do a review. Talk about fair weather friends - happy to turn up and take something for free

Bit Drippy is pleased - working away at his practice to pay for man with a hammer etc’s free stay at the house in Devon 😵💫

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
She would have been better just doing it as a standard holiday let and not a high end one. She could have priced it cheaper and been more booked up. No good having high end fixtures and fittings if the place is lying empty for most of the year.

She would have been better just doing it as a standard holiday let and not a high end one. She could have priced it cheaper and been more booked up. No good having high end fixtures and fittings if the place is lying empty for most of the year.
Agreed. What actual market research was done for the business plan. Bar asking a select few on instagram? Quite often there’s a reason that a specific product in a specific area isn’t available - it’s because no one wants it and/or it wouldn’t be profitable

Reactions: 9
Things you would expect for that price for a house for 12 people -
Parking, no
A wonderful view (sea ideally as you’re in Devon). No
A comfortable living area for 12 people to sit, nope
A pool, no
A garden you can sit in till late, no.
It was all done for insta likes and to show off.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Things you would expect for that price for a house for 12 people -
Parking, no
A wonderful view (sea ideally as you’re in Devon). No
A comfortable living area for 12 people to sit, nope
A pool, no
A garden you can sit in till late, no.
It was all done for insta likes and to show off.
It’s fine to do what you like with your own house - so longs as you can afford it

if you’re renting it out - particularly in a saturated market - you put your own views aside and work out what the ceiling price is for rental. If you were to exceed that, what would guests like to make them pay that. But you would need to actually do some research and also he willing to listen to other people’s views which might not necessarily accord with your own very strong tastes in decor. Then you have to create something that appeals to the widest market possible. Decorating a house in a very particular style that you like (because really you’re just tolerating guests for a tax advantage) then taking the huff when no one values that and doesn’t want to pay a premium to stay there and underwrite you, doesn’t work as is plainly obvious

Most people on holiday have zero interest in instagrammable interiors and want privacy when on holiday - hence why barely anyone has stayed there and no one has tagged it on insta apart from the liggers who got it gratis. They are not going to pay a premium for that. So if you said: would you like a blue velvet sofa in the living area? I think it will look fabulous in insta but not all of you will actually be able to sit down and those that do will need to sit in a row bolt upright. Plus you’ll be nervous that your kids spill something on it - you’re right to be nervous as I’ll shame you on insta if that happens and take it as a personal insult. Rather then being professional and dealing with it as wear and tear. What do you think? Most prospective guests would say NO!

Also all the insta stuff is about boring shite no one gives a crap about. Who cares if there are low under lighters in the bathroom or whatever? Most of us cope perfectly well putting a light on during the night briefly. Why would we drive a million miles to rural Devon to stay in a house because of that. Why is there never any content of here are my kids enjoying the local area. Here is how long it takes to get to the beach in relation to the house (suspect it takes ages). Here are some nice local eateries/shops and footage of us walking about. It’s the odd random shot of some sandy bits - where are they vis a vis the house? And lots of stories of the liggers sitting about awkwardly and doing fake laughing. Which makes it look as though there’s nowhere to go outside the house.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
The village it’s in is called Marlborough. It’s just outside Salcombe, but it’s a very long hilly walk with parts of the road with no pavement. Maybe ok for a hike but not for families going to the beach.

There isn’t much there, just a petrol station with an Asda attached to it.

There are so many amazing places to eat in Devon, especially outside, chilled places. But she never shared anything like that. Maybe because she’s not been offered a free meal?

Reactions: 7
The village it’s in is called Marlborough. It’s just outside Salcombe, but it’s a very long hilly walk with parts of the road with no pavement. Maybe ok for a hike but not for families going to the beach.

There isn’t much there, just a petrol station with an Asda attached to it.

There are so many amazing places to eat in Devon, especially outside, chilled places. But she never shared anything like that. Maybe because she’s not been offered a free meal?
Presumably they just sit in a row eating free Waitrose food? Dunno. They never seem to do anything that would distinguish the area and make you want to travel there and possibly book the house. I never get any feeling that there’s a true passion for the area. So if the owner can’t be arsed, why would I go there? I’ve got loads of room to host my own extended family and much more comfortable and plentiful seating so it would be for the area and I’ve never seen any of it bar some random bits of sand and a very undistinguished looking pub over the road which would actually put me off.

Reactions: 4
She could make some amazing reels that portray how lovely Devon is, but clearly she needs a freebie to do it!

She’s a bleeping idiot. For an educated woman with qualifications, she’s stupid when it comes to business/financial decisions.

it’s all been about what looks good on insta and what she can show off about. The Devon house and her current house. She thought she could impress everyone and it’s all backfired.

This wouldn’t be a problem if it was just her and she’d not spent 2 million. But she’s got kids and they’re living in a shithole purely cos their mother stomped her feet and wanted a bigger mansion to play with. Idiot.

Reactions: 15
Decided to go abroad in the summer so released dates they’d originally blocked for themselves. What a way to run a business, blocking off prime holiday dates for your own use. Mind you not that they’d be booked anyway judging from availability!!

What are the odds it’s going to be a gifted holiday abroad? If it’s not then once again they need to get their priorities straight. Spending money on peak time holidays for a family of 6 won’t get their house fit for living in!

Attachments

• Wow
So while the rest of us are out doing a solid days work, Madam is doing jigsaws. Any wonder she doesn’t have the earth nuggets to finish the house. Get off your arse Katie and earn a wage rather than lounging about the house waiting to be gifted free tit. There are only so many Neom candles that you can sell on!

• Heart