Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
It's telling that they (in general) haven't been back targeting the tube after what happened last time.

They need to protest the people in power, not the every day people.
Greenpeace were protesting outside Downing Street about oil drilling earlier in the month. I bet no one has really heard about that though because they were just standing on the pavements with placards and not making a nuisance of themselves.

Reactions: 3

thatstupidcat

These plonkers gluing their hands and especially feet to the road, is the road not absolutely freezing cold now and so they are risking significant long term injury by doing this? Feet are not something you really want to screw up unless you relish a life of pain and hassle.

As for the £2m police bill that the Mail story mentions (not sure how it's that much given the police response has been so pitiful) is there a reason this can't just be billed to the plonkers' group and supporters?

View attachment 846260

I am going to defend the Met here. They cannot bill protestors and that would be a legal quagmire their legal department wouldn’t want to touch - that stuff would need to come from Parliament.

As a background, the Met have far fewer police officers than 10yrs ago and have had a hiring freeze for a considerable length of time plus no time off whatsoever during Covid.

The basic level of monitoring they are doing is simply at the cost of police presence at serious incidents - the Met is so overstretched, dispatch is literally deciding which murders, stabbings and rapes get police first. They do not have the manpower and the protestors know it.

Any proportionate police response will require the government sticking their hand in their pocket, and contrary to the stereotype, Tories have always made a point of sticking the boot into the Police both in London and Nationally. So unlikely to happen, especially when winter sets in and a chunk of the fairweather protestors move on until spring/summer.

kev1974

VIP Member
We need the police to act like this a bit more often.

I like the woman in red bleating and bleating "I'm trying to leave". Too late for that now petal. Hope you enjoy getting an arrest record after just ten seconds of "activism".

Codiaeum

VIP Member
A lengthy stint of community service would give these people a sense of actual purpose in their otherwise empty and unproductive lives.

I've heard about "Letzte Generation" ("last generation", who are active in Germany) that when you join they'll ask you whether you are okay to go to jail for your activism and how much time you can take off work.
I've zero respect for this style of activism - I don't even know what they want, I just hear about them with their ridiculous stints and many people are less and less tolerating of such crap. Most people I know are saying that more needs to happen to combat climate change, but surely destroying paintings in a museum or glueing yourself to some bridge isn't quite the way to get there.

• Heart

Captainmouse

VIP Member
These useless arseholes are targeting London Bridge, i left work almost 2 hours ago, I get one train an hour. 🤬

• Heart

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I've never voted for the conservatives.

I 'm not in favour of increased inheritance taxes either. Greater accountability and full transparency for how our taxes are spent yes I do agree with.

Might be controversial but in the words of Commander Adama : "has humanity asked itself why it deserves to survive?

If we die out as a species it's just the result of natural selection. The earth can take care of itself without us.

Last edited:
  • Heart

RaveChampion

Chatty Member
It's always put me in mind of these in some ways TBH. There's a very odd psychological feel to their fervour which is based in "magical thinking". Their behavious has an odd internal logic not based in rationality. They didn't go round spraying stuff though except in their own blood:-

As I said prior they are an end of the world cult which have been going on since ealry Christian times but they fail to see the inherent irony in this fact.

They have the funding so why not go and take action where it counts? India/China etc? (I mentioned one of their wealthy US backers a while back-he says he will fund indefinately,

It's because they lack the courage of their convictions. Greenpeace confronted trawlers at sea and put their bodies in the way (Maritime law is a bit scary) as did the tunneling Eco protestors of the 80's/00/s (swampy et al) That takes some real courage/commitment. I can respect that (Security back then were well up for a scrap and had batons) This Ersatz lot lack the minerals and that's partly why I struggle with them.

Maybe they need to do a hunger strike now? It's unlikely though I feel.
They'll just chuck some orange dye on a rare manuscript or something and have a bit of a cry.
That heroism will definately make us fossil fuel free by 2030!

Last edited:

IngressUK

VIP Member
I dont understand how bagpipe man can be moved on for safely playing a musical instrument, while someone blocking a road cant?
Welcome to the UK in 2021.

Those who break the law are pussyfooted around, in order to not offend or contravene their Human Rights. Whilst those who uphold it are treated with distain by the Police.

Is it any wonder the majority have had enough?

I am going to defend the Met here. They cannot bill protestors and that would be a legal quagmire their legal department wouldn’t want to touch - that stuff would need to come from Parliament.
I shed no tears for The Police, in particular the Met. Many of their problems are of their own making, plus the calibre of some of the people they employ/promote.

For example:

Back in 2013 myself and a mate witnessed someone being bottled outside a pub in New Cross. When the Police arrived my mate went over to the Inspector to try and explain what had happened. Instead this Inspector pulled his hair and tackled him to the ground and put a knee in his back. When I went over and told the Inspector he was highly out of order, I was threatened with arrest.

At this point I was rather angry and said to him, 'go ahead', but rest assured his Chief Constable would have been hearing more about the incident, plus the media too.

Of the Inspectors female colleagues who witnessed the incident pulled me away and basically implied (without compromising herself) that the Inspector had been out of order. She then proceeded to take my statement regarding the incident.

My mate received NO apology from the Inspector for being wrongly thrown about and manhandled as a mere witness to the incident.

So please don't expect me to have any sympathy for The Met, as I really don't have any.

Last edited:

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Funny how they don't protest at football matches, Glastonbury or the travellers fayre at Appleby.
They wouldn't make it out alive with the football fans, compared to the mild pensioners who make a large proportion of that flower show.
---
It would have been better if they timed it with a Royal family visit. More security to kick them out quicker.

Reactions: 2

The Shadow

I am all for a peaceful protest but like you I was disappointed when they starting climbing on trains.

I have spoken to colleagues who have been in the City today and have not seen or heard of them at all today.

I am going into the City tomorrow, hopefully I will not cross paths with them.

Maid22

VIP Member
Looks like they're on the Abbey road live cam, there's 4 of them and loads of police, what a waste of police time for these wasters!

kev1974

VIP Member
I see the German police have the same issue of road blockers now

The difference being that the loons in Germany haven't bothered with superglue, because they know the German police won't play softly softly and are more likely to leave their hands behind while dragging them to the pavement.

neroli

VIP Member
I think that once Dale Vince gets bored with them and cuts their funding when he finds a new attention-bringing project then their stunts will peter out.
Kylian Mbappe to Forest Green Rovers?