Cleaning With Mario #6 and so forth

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It most definitely wasn’t a dig at all. I can’t afford to buy a house so I rent too. It doesn’t matter if someone rents privately or through the council. I most certainly do not judge that. I asked my landlord to decorate as it was looking tired. He also replaced the carpet in the bedroom as it was terrible. I just thought it was the landlords responsibility as each property I’ve rented has been sorted by the landlord. Forgive my ignorance if this isn’t the general case, I get that this isn’t the case for council places now.
I get that this is unsolicited advice, but please take in the spirit it's intended- there is zero judgement from me on this and its the same advice I'd give to a loved one.

If you don't think buying your own property is realistic and you're settled in your area, get your name on the council house and/or housing association lists asap. You might wait years but it's most often a better option for long term renting and generally your home will be your home for as long as you want it to be because you're not at the mercy of a skint landlord or one who decides to sell up to cash in on a property boom or just cannae be arsed anymore.

The ONLY benefit to a private rental is you choose the property you rent rather than receiving an offer of a particular property.

That's why Melvin is prepared to spend the dosh to get his home the way he wants it. He can pretty much guarantee that his flat is home until he decides otherwise. Burst letterboxes notwithstanding, that's also why when his heatings on the blink or he's got a vermin problem or the tiles get blown off the roof etc the problem gets dealt with sooner rather than later. As another tattler said, if the cooncil decided to condemn the building he's in, they will re-home him.

No system is perfect, including being mortgaged btw, but it would be worthwhile exploring your options. There's a lot of brand new social housing being built in my area and I doubt that's unique to the shire, but you need to be on the list to be considered for a tenancy.

We are still living with the Thatcher legacy of selling off really great council properties, without "replacing the stock" unfortunately. i totally get why you would be hesitant to improve your home at your own expense if you feel that would be benefiting your landlord more than you.

Sorry this post got a little bit serious and political 💚

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I get that this is unsolicited advice, but please take in the spirit it's intended- there is zero judgement from me on this and its the same advice I'd give to a loved one.

If you don't think buying your own property is realistic and you're settled in your area, get your name on the council house and/or housing association lists asap. You might wait years but it's most often a better option for long term renting and generally your home will be your home for as long as you want it to be because you're not at the mercy of a skint landlord or one who decides to sell up to cash in on a property boom or just cannae be arsed anymore.

The ONLY benefit to a private rental is you choose the property you rent rather than receiving an offer of a particular property.

That's why Melvin is prepared to spend the dosh to get his home the way he wants it. He can pretty much guarantee that his flat is home until he decides otherwise. Burst letterboxes notwithstanding, that's also why when his heatings on the blink or he's got a vermin problem or the tiles get blown off the roof etc the problem gets dealt with sooner rather than later. As another tattler said, if the cooncil decided to condemn the building he's in, they will re-home him.

No system is perfect, including being mortgaged btw, but it would be worthwhile exploring your options. There's a lot of brand new social housing being built in my area and I doubt that's unique to the shire, but you need to be on the list to be considered for a tenancy.

We are still living with the Thatcher legacy of selling off really great council properties, without "replacing the stock" unfortunately. i totally get why you would be hesitant to improve your home at your own expense if you feel that would be benefiting your landlord more than you.

Sorry this post got a little bit serious and political 💚
I totally get what you’re saying and really really appreciate the advice. Thank you ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 4
sadly any council house comes like a bare shell. floorboards and damp!! I suppose I was lucky when I had a council house and it was that run down they have us vouchers for paint so that helped. I have had private rents since then......didn't want to stay where people were running around the car park with a knife at 9am on a Sunday morning on drugs and throwing tvs out their windows..... Some private landlords are great and others are not. my house before this one, my landlord was my neighbor too, it was a private courtyard with 13 houses inc theirs.......they were nice BUT the boiler was around 20 years old and no matter if it was on all day and night the house was never warm AT ALL. then, it broke and he couldn't get anyone to fit it and asked If I could get someone. I did and got a quote (mates rates) but that was too expensive for him SO his son and friend done it!!! no inspection or certificate and I wasnt happy at all. that along with a leaking shower from the en suite never getting fixed was when I decided to move...only for him to then rip up the carpets and put in a new en suite as we were moving out!!!

New landlord is nice, its a farm and there are 4 rented houses BUT the farmers dog barks and howls all night long and my kitchen is an eye sore as in big holes out of the worktops and everything is yellow. I asked if I could fablon it and was told no, I suppose its fair enough but when its an improvement on the place I dont see an issue. I am only aloud to paint. all of the floor has holes in them from got knows what and that wont get fixed either...they plan on retiring to the house I rent so will do it all then...wish I knew this before I moved, sorry for ranting there lol xx
I can promise you that not all local authorities are the same. Once upon a time, you're absolutely right that you would get a bare shell. Our L.A. will now leave flooring as is if in good condition and will let the new incoming tenant decide whether they want the council to rip it out for them. It makes total sense too. If, say, you're a bit skint and the worst you can say about the crapets is it wouldn't necessarily be what you'd pick for yourself, it's a better option than bare floors.

Even what Mario has just binned would be preferable to bare floors while you're saving up for what you do want. Crapets can be cleaned far cheaper than replaced.

Appreciate not all L.A's will operate in same way though.

Mario has already stated that he could buy a house just like that if he wants but said there is no way he is leaving his house for someone else because he's built it from the ground up. Selfish. I know I'm buying a house in approx 4 years and I am in a housing association house. I'm not letting it get run down, I'm keeping it nice and part of the reason is because when I moved here I had nothing and it was a wreck. I am so grateful to have been housed and I'd like to think that the next person who lives here will love it and feel comfortable in a nicely decorated home that's been loved and taken care of ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Mario has already stated that he could buy a house just like that if he wants but said there is no way he is leaving his house for someone else because he's built it from the ground up. Selfish. I know I'm buying a house in approx 4 years and I am in a housing association house. I'm not letting it get run down, I'm keeping it nice and part of the reason is because when I moved here I had nothing and it was a wreck. I am so grateful to have been housed and I'd like to think that the next person who lives here will love it and feel comfortable in a nicely decorated home that's been loved and taken care of ❤
My nana lived in a council property for forty years until she died. it was beautiful!
garden was amazing, inside clean and we’ll maintained.
she’s died now and I hate when I drive past and see that the people there now have let it go to rack and ruin! It’s such as shame

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
He wanted his house bright and cozy and he has achieved it?? Really!? I'd say it's as far from either as you can get! Moron.

Reactions: 5
Melv is probably furiously DM'ing small businesses explaining to them how he is their lord and saviour and to gift him all the grey, diamante plush crap they possibly can.

Why has he posted that random Just Giving page, with no explanation? I read the description on the page and I am actually non the wiser what it is all about. It’s so strange.

Reactions: 6
When did he say this? I seemed to have missed out on seeing him make a clown of himself that day lol

Why has he posted that random Just Giving page, with no explanation? I read the description on the page and I am actually non the wiser what it is all about. It’s so strange.
Another page that mario hasn’t donated to. I really doubt that he will donate and keep anonymously.

Reactions: 2
He said about being able to buy a house - and the supposed ease of it - about 6 weeks ago? He was ranting about why he spends so much doing up the flat and how he built it from the ground up and how they've put so much into it that moving / buying a place wasn't for them. Usual word vomit nonsense.

• Haha
Why does he never close his curtains or blinds 😩 He is constantly complaining that it is cold, constantly wearing his grotty hoosecoat . I realise that he is probably not overlooked but his heating bills must be huge. When my heating comes on
in the evening I rush round and make sure all the blinds and curtains are closed, especially in this weather 🥶
975B2B8D-BD96-4F30-9091-4833B0B5A8AE.jpeg

Reactions: 3
Does anyone think he could get a mortgage working in Debenhams. I don’t think he would be highly payed. Does anyone know what Derek. Another just give he hasn’t donate anything to.

Reactions: 2
He said about being able to buy a house - and the supposed ease of it - about 6 weeks ago? He was ranting about why he spends so much doing up the flat and how he built it from the ground up and how they've put so much into it that moving / buying a place wasn't for them. Usual word vomit nonsense.
Verbal diarrhoea

Does anyone think he could get a mortgage working in Debenhams. I don’t think he would be highly payed. Does anyone know what Derek. Another just give he hasn’t donate anything to.
It’s not just about how much you earn though, it’s the size of mortgage, deposit size and outgoings as well. My husband and I both work blue-collar, I’m only part-time and we were given a pretty decent mortgage.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.