Christmas Watch 2022 #3

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What’s everyones thoughts on workplace secret santa?

I really don’t want to take part this year, all I ever get is a generic present with little thought and I’d much rather spend £10 on items for the local food bank instead for people actually in need. I just know I’ll be seen as a grinch even though I love Christmas, and I’ll have everyone in my ear all of December asking why I’m not taking part.
Oh lawd. Back in the day when I worked for a newspaper we did a secret Santa and everyone in our dept had to watch each other open their presents. Everyone had nice things from Benefit or whatever. I opened mine and it was a ‘horny devil’ kit- complete with horns and body paint. It was mortifying opening it and I was very puzzled as to why someone had bought me that!?

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Secret Santas can get in the bin. Awful concept, even when done with family/friends.

Someone in my office does a yearly advent calendar collection, all he asks for are the basic chocolate ones and he donates them to the food bank connected to his church. He had a haul of them yesterday. It's little charity things like this that make me feel Christmassy and magical.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Both trees are up and Christmas presents are almost all bought. I’m so smug. I’m off this week coming and I can’t wait. Going to york and Lincoln for Christmas festivities before going to client meetings/Christmas parties the week after 😁 a very happy Holly.

What’s everyones thoughts on workplace secret santa?

I really don’t want to take part this year, all I ever get is a generic present with little thought and I’d much rather spend £10 on items for the local food bank instead for people actually in need. I just know I’ll be seen as a grinch even though I love Christmas, and I’ll have everyone in my ear all of December asking why I’m not taking part.
I know who has me for secret Santa this year and he’s notorious for buying expensive perfumes because he panics. Looking forward to opening my secret Santa 😆

Reactions: 9
Oh lawd. Back in the day when I worked for a newspaper we did a secret Santa and everyone in our dept had to watch each other open their presents. Everyone had nice things from Benefit or whatever. I opened mine and it was a ‘horny devil’ kit- complete with horns and body paint. It was mortifying opening it and I was very puzzled as to why someone had bought me that!?
In the first secret Santa I ever did at the 19, someone bought my a laughing dildo with a face on it. So when I opened the gift it started moving and laughing.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
On a Christmas food front I can highly recommend the Tesco turkey and stuffing balls crisps (the sort that are usually cheese flavour) they are addictive!!! They come in a huge bag and they're lovely and salty and I think I probably ate the vast majority of the bag today 😬 sort of relieved they're gone but also want more 😂

Reactions: 4
Trying to order my Terry’s chocolate oranges for Christmas, shocked to see on the thread that they cost 75p !! They’re out of stock currently but they will cost me 5€98 + shipping 😪 I want English Christmas snacks !!

• Wow
Reactions: 2
The one at Meadowhall (Sheffield) is currently closed for refurbishment but I saw a new sign with B&BW on it there earlier this week!

We are going mid December to see friends. Love Harrods but Fortnum and Mason is my most favourite place to go 😊 and then looking at the decorations on all the designer shops on Old Bond Street.
Next is supposed to re open next week at Meadowhall 🤞🏻🤞🏻

• Heart
On a Christmas food front I can highly recommend the Tesco turkey and stuffing balls crisps (the sort that are usually cheese flavour) they are addictive!!! They come in a huge bag and they're lovely and salty and I think I probably ate the vast majority of the bag today 😬 sort of relieved they're gone but also want more 😂
Noooooo!!!! I've been eyeing these up in Tesco for weeks now and had vowed to avoid them. Looks like I'll be picking up a few a bag next time I'm in there 😋

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Secret Santas can get in the bin. Awful concept, even when done with family/friends.
Oh I totally disagree! I love it. We do Secret Santa among the adults in the family so everyone just buys for one person (couples still buy for each other separately) - you spend £50 on something they really want and save money and save stress of everyone trying to find things to get everyone.

I’m also in a secret Santa with my book club and it’s lovely to get a little present at the Christmas meal.

for work we do secret non denominational sock giving (lots of faiths so secret Santa not appropriate). It’s great cos who doesn’t like new socks and there’s loads of nice gifty socks around.

What is everyone's fav festive sandwich this year? so far I've only tried the M&S Turkey & slaw and a Costa Turkey with all the trimmings toastie but out of those two Id pick the Costa one.
I really like the pigs under blankets panini. I tried the pigs in blanket one from M&S that was nice too but pricey for what it was I thought.

for work we do secret non denominational sock giving (lots of faiths so secret Santa not appropriate). It’s great cos who doesn’t like new socks and there’s loads of nice gifty socks around.
I'm all in for a sock swap. New socks is one of life's simple pleasures.

• Heart
What is everyone's fav festive sandwich this year? so far I've only tried the M&S Turkey & slaw and a Costa Turkey with all the trimmings toastie but out of those two Id pick the Costa one.
I had the M&S truffle mushroom one (it was in their cafe idk if they sell it to take home in the food court?) and really liked it - it reminded me of the mushroom toastie from Ole & Steen that was never continuously available!

Oh I totally disagree! I love it. We do Secret Santa among the adults in the family so everyone just buys for one person (couples still buy for each other separately) - you spend £50 on something they really want and save money and save stress of everyone trying to find things to get everyone.

I’m also in a secret Santa with my book club and it’s lovely to get a little present at the Christmas meal.

We do charity shop secret Santa in my family - it’s always hilarious. At work we’re a tight knit group who have a lot in common and we talk a lot so it’s not hard to get the right present for whoever you draw! I love a secret Santa :)

• Haha
We do charity shop secret Santa in my family - it’s always hilarious. At work we’re a tight knit group who have a lot in common and we talk a lot so it’s not hard to get the right present for whoever you draw! I love a secret Santa :)
That sounds like a laugh, might suggest that to my family.

I love it when the Hallmark style movies pretend the trees are real trees when you can clearly see it's a cheap plastic one.

(Melissa Joan Hart one just started on channel 5, hello! lol)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
When I was at work we used to do a thing of whoever could find the worst bit of holiday tat ... I won one year with a light up plastic Taj Mahal that got smashed up on the way home.

I think that would be fun for a Secret Santa. Most crap present.

That sounds like a laugh, might suggest that to my family.
It’s pretty good fun! We have a £5 limit. It started with most people taking it seriously until the year I bought my brother in law a bedside cabinet and my sister bought my husband a box set of Twilight books 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
for anyone with children - saw bike club advertised and thought it looked a great idea! you pay a subscription and then upgrade when they grow out of that size. they've got first month free and 50% off some bike subs til june if you sign up before 20th Dec

Can’t remember if it was this thread or the autumn one (but suspect there’s a lot of cross over ?) where we were discussing velvetisers - but has anyone tried the Hotel chocolat hazelnut praline pouch? I love praline but had the Starbucks praline hot choc and it’s scared me right off anything that’s masquerading as praline 😳 it was foul!