Christmas Watch 2022 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I usually follow age appropriate kids discreetly round a store when I'm stuck to see what they go "apeshit" about and it usually goes down well with the child/teenager I'm buying for.
This has tickled me 😂😂 I can just imagine you in full stealth mode hiding down the aisles trying not to be spotted

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Took my daughter to our local Christmas fair this morning and it was so sad. Barely any stalls no tables to sit down and enjoy the tea and cakes they were selling for the Christmas lights on the small high street and no face painter as advertised. There was a nice stall with Xmas decorations so we got one with a little robin which my 3 year old loves.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I’ve got my first Christmas bargain - a green Christmas tree shaped plate for holding treats and choccies for £2.50! I got a bigger but shallower one last year from H and M (but white) for £10!

Reactions: 5
I basically bought out tkmaxx of all Christmas stock. I found two garlands for the fireplace and dining side table that were both reduced already.

Reactions: 2
We did 4 nights at Butlins over Xmas a few years ago with our kids for a change and we absolutely loved it! Would recommend.
Do they have all the activities and entertainment on? I was wrong then saying nowhere does it! Clearly I've been looking in the wrong places!

I assumed they were fostering or adopting? But I agree very ambiguous. Especially as he seemed to spend several weeks learning to skate.
Oh! Is that the John Lewis one? I saw that last night and didn't even realise it was for JL 🤦‍♀️.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Do they have all the activities and entertainment on? I was wrong then saying nowhere does it! Clearly I've been looking in the wrong places!
Yeah the works; a pantomime, staff all dressed up etc. On Christmas Day my kids were enjoying the high ropes activity, and also a Segway thing. Felt odd, and not our usual Xmas day but they bloody loved it! And I didn’t have to cook so win-win. We paid for the half-board thing and thought the food was pretty good tbh.

• Heart
Took my mum to a garden centre today so she could look at the Christmas stuff now I'm watching Miracle on 34th street.🎄

• Heart
Reactions: 6
had my (1.5ft table top) tree up for almost a week which i don't think is too bad considering i'll be leaving for home around mid december. went for a wander round the shops yesterday and bought mainly wrapping stuff - still having to search high and low online for gift ideas!

I've done some Christmas shopping today. I've managed to get quite a few bits on the children's lists including; Groot Lego, a You Tuber hoody with a very unfortunate dispatch time of March 2023 that was only revealed after checkout 😬 and the extremely random request of "a rainbow hologram frog" (thank you Etsy).

I've also bought one of them a Tamagotchi. I 'babysat' my cousin's Tamagotchi as a child, whilst she went on holiday. It died twice and I could never get it past the point where it grew lips that made it look like a burger. It'll be interesting to see if my son is more successful.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
How many people do you have to buy for??

I have 16 people to buy for, and I’m stressing more so this year than ever before about how I’m going to afford to buy presents for everyone. I know I need to scale it back compared to previous years. But I wish I just had it all done but I need to wait until payday and it’s just stressing me 🙄

• Wow

I have 16 people to buy for, and I’m stressing more so this year than ever before about how I’m going to afford to buy presents for everyone. I know I need to scale it back compared to previous years. But I wish I just had it all done but I need to wait until payday and it’s just stressing me 🙄
4 Inc parents, siblings and hubby. Might get chocolates etc for a couple of others, but out of those 4 we have two birthdays between Christmas and New Year so it feels like 6 😂 and my birthday mid January.

Reactions: 1

I’ve got 11 including works Secret Santa. Is the list all family? Because my group of friends and I decided not to give presents a few years back and just put the money aside to go for a meal or a night out ect in the new year, is that something you could do?

Reactions: 3
Can anyone recommend gift wrap?
I usually buy from TKMaxx but haven’t been wowed this year and some members of my family wouldn’t glance twice at ‘nice’ gift wrap so feel it’s not worth splashing extra

i had some from M&S last year that was so paper thin I tore loads by just wrapping, evidently not carefully enough!

Basically I want cheap but thick 🤣

I’ve got 11 including works Secret Santa. Is the list all family? Because my group of friends and I decided not to give presents a few years back and just put the money aside to go for a meal or a night out ect in the new year, is that something you could do?
Yeah they are all family, we have discussed scaling it back this year and only buying proper worthwhile presents, not body wash sets etc. But I’ve worked it out and I’ve still got like over £500 worth of gifts to buy yet

• Wow
I usually buy from TKMaxx but haven’t been wowed this year and some members of my family wouldn’t glance twice at ‘nice’ gift wrap so feel it’s not worth splashing extra

i had some from M&S last year that was so paper thin I tore loads by just wrapping, evidently not carefully enough!

i always prefer recyclable papers. used this one ^^ last year with another h&m pattern they haven't got back this year (brown paper with black stags / toile de jouy pattern) and plain brown paper. still have some left! i'll group gifts if there's multiple parts to a present (hoping that makes sense, think games console and games, controllers etc) with the same paper. brown paper for physically bigger gifts and then put more effort into ribbons - again last year i used butchers twine style red/white and black/white with a dark red satin ribbon.

that all sounds a bit much but i do love wrapping gifts! i go all out with folded edges and double sided tape. linked a fave i used in 2020, the black with gold foliage. oxfam also have a kraft paper with cats that would be good for kids!

Last edited:
  • Heart

Tesco also have really nice thick Kraft style paper with prints on, the added bonus is that it's recyclable too ❤

• Heart
Yeah they are all family, we have discussed scaling it back this year and only buying proper worthwhile presents, not body wash sets etc. But I’ve worked it out and I’ve still got like over £500 worth of gifts to buy yet
Can you honestly just tell them the truth? How many would really want family members to struggle just so they could have something to open on one day of the year?

• Heart
Reactions: 10

I know it's quite plain but what about brown paper? It's usually fairly inexpensive (I bought mine from Asda) and really thick and you could make it look a bit fancier with ribbons or bows or metallic pens.

• Heart
I guess it depends on your family & how you feel but I always buy gifts in the sale.
Next, John Lewis and M&S have some really nice things if they’re funny about the shop.

I never spend more than £15/20 per person- kids I spend £10/15 & they still get 2 things to open. And I buy chocolates from Aldi as they have really big chocolate santas for £1 or much cheaper branded boxes of chocolates.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.