Christmas Watch 2022 #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
👋 a second thread!

We left off at the last thread with people discussing who they’re buying for & whether or not they’re putting out a wreath… so continue 🎄🌲🤶🏻🎅🧑‍🎄

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Thank you for making another one!

anyone else already thinking about the snacks they’re going to get this year 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
Thank you for making another one!

anyone else already thinking about the snacks they’re going to get this year 😂
My little one is a much stronger eater this year so excited about all the stuff she can have! 🥰

This reminds me I also need to get us stockings. My childhood was not the best so being a Christmas mum doesn’t come naturally but is something I really want her to have!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
We have somehow ended up doing a lot of token gift buying for aunties and uncles and cousins since I moved in with my now husband. I am hoping this year is the year we do away with it - what is the point in basically just swapping bottles of Prosecco out of a sense of duty, when money is going to be so tight for everyone? No thought goes into it (on either side!!), I would rather not bother and just stick to my immediate family 😬 but it’s getting the word out soon enough.. some of his family will have bought already I’m sure.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I buy for my mum and son. I used to buy for my brother, his wife and their three children but they are ungrateful sods and never say thank you so this year I'm getting them a tin of celebrations/heroes between them 🤣 I also buy for 4 friends & 3 children of friends, just small token gifts. Any children of friends/family that get to 18 no longer get anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I've booked onto a wreath making course in December. Did one last year & hung it on my back door (as my main entrance to the house) so I get to see it and no thieving 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
I've booked onto a wreath making course in December. Did one last year & hung it on my back door (as my main entrance to the house) so I get to see it and no thieving 😂
Our neighbors one has been stolen more then once.

My little one is a much stronger eater this year so excited about all the stuff she can have! 🥰

This reminds me I also need to get us stockings. My childhood was not the best so being a Christmas mum doesn’t come naturally but is something I really want her to have!
Etsy have some nice handmade ones.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Our neighbors one has been stolen more then once.

Etsy have some nice handmade ones.

I got my daughters’ stockings from Etsy they both have their names stitched on the white fluffy bit, I love them! 😍
ETA it’s this one

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I got my daughters’ stockings from Etsy they both have their names stitched on the white fluffy bit, I love them! 😍
ETA it’s this one
Those are lovely traditional ones. Would also help a small business !

Reactions: 5
I was out walking the dog this morning and my neighbours hailed me over to discuss outdoor Christmas lighting for this year 😆 we’re new to the cul de sac so I need to buy some outdoor lights - any suggestions? I’ve found loads but I don’t know if they’re any good.
I also want to wrap them around out bannister this year so I’ll get some battery powered ones for inside, too.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
New to this thread, I LOVE Christmas! But I need some advice.
Every year I host Christmas Eve at my house, so my husband the kids and I and then our parents, my brother, his sister and her husband and 2 kids. Then Christmas Day is with my family so we don’t see my in laws a part from Christmas Eve.
the 2 times we did Christmas Eve at my SIL house, she asked for us to pay our share for the food, no problem we did that’s fine. Then when I started she asked me how much money she owes me for the meal, so we said nothing just bring some alcohol for the evening. So they brought a bottle of wine with them, ok fine.
but now, they come every year and they come empty handed, not even a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, nothing. And it’s really starting to piss me off, I spend about 800€ for this one meal alone.

we tell each other what to buy for the kids so we don’t have useless things. As my baby was only 6 months last year, I asked her for a gift card for clothes later on (as she already had thousands of toys) and I got her girls a bunch of toys from their Santa’s list. She got us a stuffed toy, that I don’t think was new it had a hole in it and was clearly not clean. This really pissed me off as it was my little girls first Christmas and no effort was made (and I spent quite a bit on her girls, I always do)

to top that off, on the 23rd of December she sent us a text saying, let’s just get each other 10€ max gifts, and spoil the kids rather than each other , ok fine, but it was the 23rd of December I had already bought the gifts. I wasn’t too bothered about that, I was bothered when my little girl got an old stuffed toy!

so this year,they are all getting small cheap presents. But please how can I tell them that I shouldn’t be paying for absolutely everything. My husband said we should say we are not hosting this year and that it’s their turn, but I don’t want to have my kids miss out on a lovely magical Christmas Eve, as they don’t actually make an effort

Ps: I know I sound like a witch saying this but I just think it’s really unfair how they act towards us, we let them have free holidays in our holiday home etc. And I just feel like we are being used. And to clarify, they are not struggling money wise, they are not as well off as we are, but seriously they can more than afford a present for my little girl and bring a bottle of wine or something.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Every year I host Christmas Eve at my house, so my husband the kids and I and then our parents, my brother, his sister and her husband and 2 kids. Then Christmas Day is with my family so we don’t see my in laws a part from Christmas Eve.
the 2 times we did Christmas Eve at my SIL house, she asked for us to pay our share for the food, no problem we did that’s fine. Then when I started she asked me how much money she owes me for the meal, so we said nothing just bring some alcohol for the evening. So they brought a bottle of wine with them, ok fine.
but now, they come every year and they come empty handed, not even a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, nothing. And it’s really starting to piss me off, I spend about 800€ for this one meal alone.

we tell each other what to buy for the kids so we don’t have useless things. As my baby was only 6 months last year, I asked her for a gift card for clothes later on (as she already had thousands of toys) and I got her girls a bunch of toys from their Santa’s list. She got us a stuffed toy, that I don’t think was new it had a hole in it and was clearly not clean. This really pissed me off as it was my little girls first Christmas and no effort was made (and I spent quite a bit on her girls, I always do)

to top that off, on the 23rd of December she sent us a text saying, let’s just get each other 10€ max gifts, and spoil the kids rather than each other , ok fine, but it was the 23rd of December I had already bought the gifts. I wasn’t too bothered about that, I was bothered when my little girl got an old stuffed toy!

so this year,they are all getting small cheap presents. But please how can I tell them that I shouldn’t be paying for absolutely everything. My husband said we should say we are not hosting this year and that it’s their turn, but I don’t want to have my kids miss out on a lovely magical Christmas Eve, as they don’t actually make an effort

Ps: I know I sound like a witch saying this but I just think it’s really unfair how they act towards us, we let them have free holidays in our holiday home etc. And I just feel like we are being used. And to clarify, they are not struggling money wise, they are not as well off as we are, but seriously they can more than afford a present for my little girl and bring a bottle of wine or something.
You aren’t being a witch at all - if it was me, I would get my partner to have a word.
For my family, we all make a list and organise who is bringing what in advance. For example, last year we were on dessert duty and got a few that we knew would suit peoples preferences.
It’s only fair and now we are all adults, we all choose to contribute x

edit: I hope it all works out. It sounds like you put a lot of effort in to make it a magical time for your family every year 🥰

Reactions: 7

My SIL used to do this! Came to us 3 years running with her tribe of kids and a Nivea gift set for us, ate and drank us out of home! After the 3rd time we just booked to go out the next year for Christmas dinner, told them what pub we would be at and said they were welcome to book their own table, surprise surprise they didn’t bother!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 11

I would be raging!! Do the parents say anything to her as they might be in a better position to as no doubt see them arrive empty handed and see what the presents are?

What do you do for the Christmas Eve meal/ party btw? I am looking to start something like this!

Reactions: 3
Honestly I would say you want to do Christmas eve on your own this year and stick to it. Let SIL make her own plans. Perhaps Invite the grandparents a day before Christmas eve.

You could also just do a family gift where all of their kids have one item to share.

I was out walking the dog this morning and my neighbours hailed me over to discuss outdoor Christmas lighting for this year 😆 we’re new to the cul de sac so I need to buy some outdoor lights - any suggestions? I’ve found loads but I don’t know if they’re any good.
I also want to wrap them around out bannister this year so I’ll get some battery powered ones for inside, too.
Homebase have some amazing lights for a reasonable price. I've got a 6ft blow up santa dinosaur for my back garden, and prancing reindeer and Christmas trees for the front lawn. I also found Wilko really good for battery powered lights indoors. Good price/quality for various sizes. B&Q also do great outdoor lights

I live in a cul de sac and no-one used to decorate till I moved in....now most people do 🤪🎅🌲 but it's ultimately your choice if you want to! I'd never pounce on my neighbour and tell them to decorate 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Oh I love that no one did it before and now they do. We’re we live its a quite little village and everyone goes all out. It’s magical. I try to be the first house with the lights up but last year someone beat me to it by a few days before 🤣.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.