Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

bellinibobble

VIP Member
We have somehow ended up doing a lot of token gift buying for aunties and uncles and cousins since I moved in with my now husband. I am hoping this year is the year we do away with it - what is the point in basically just swapping bottles of Prosecco out of a sense of duty, when money is going to be so tight for everyone? No thought goes into it (on either side!!), I would rather not bother and just stick to my immediate family 😬 but it’s getting the word out soon enough.. some of his family will have bought already I’m sure.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

calmyourritas

VIP Member
We have ordered a new Xmas tree 😁 a pre lit one. Hopefully now we don’t have to untangle and get the lights on we won’t argue and I won’t need to stomp out and cry 😁😁😁

• Heart

ATV2021

VIP Member
I know what I don’t want - body lotion or hand cream. I have enough to last me the rest of my life!
i volunteer in an Oxfam shop and we are donated so many gift sets - mainly Baylis & Harding - you would not believe it! And no one will buy them either, even at huge reductions .
I can't stand B&H gift sets 😅 I definitely end up either shoving on ebay or down the local chazza as I'm just too fussy about the products I do use (sensitive flower). They need to stop creating them. Nobody likes to receive them 😂

This year I have a DVD...and a new iron on my list. When the F did I get old 🤣

• Haha

candyland_

VIP Member
Why have Home Bargains sent a bunch of influencers BY HELICOPTER to a luxury place in the lakes to play with Christmas decorations?
I love their Christmas stuff but my friend works there and they treat their staff like crap. They had announced on their Instagram about a big surprise and this was it..!? Watching influencers have a piss up? Humbug 😂

• Wow
  • Angry
  • Sad

I_Like_Tractors

VIP Member
We've booked experiences this year as presents and only getting a few presents as they have so much stuff already I struggle to think of anything new! We're going to have an overnight stay at Legoland between Christmas and New year as their main present, something to look forward to after the big day!

• Heart

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
It’s also really awful for the environment too 🙁 Although turning this from a preachy moment to a fun one - is anyone making any eco swaps this year? If so tell all please! ❤
that’s my point, it’s so so bad for the planet to keep changing things out. Bloody influencers are largely to blame.

I’m buying a real tree this year and I’ll keep it and bring it in every year. No shiny Christmas paper as that shit doesn’t recycle. Garland for the fireplace will be picked on my walks over the next few months and dried out.

• Heart

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Can't believe I've just spent £36 pound on a mug for a Christmas present. Personalised Emma Bridgewater. They better use it twice a day, every day. 🤣

• Haha
  • Wow

Pesky Tarian

VIP Member
Gift guide and Christmas sandwiches in Boots today!

I keep seeing adverts for a sex toys advent calendar. Rather have the choc 🤣.

• Haha
  • Wow

Wishwash

Oohh I'm glad I found this thread! I'm itching to get started on Christmas shopping, sorting out my decs for this year. I've got loads on my "to buy" list!
I need a new wreath for my front door, mini Christmas tree for the kids, Christmas cushions and bedding 😍
I feel like I can't start until November - I'm not a huge fan of Halloween and my kids are too small for it so I'm wishing it out the way so Christmas can start!
We're limiting presents for our children, we actually did it last year too as I found a saying, I don't know if you'd call it a tip or advice, but essentially it's "something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read." I find it really helpful to focus my shopping and not go crazy.

My birthday is in November, treating myself to a beauty advent calendar. I had one last year and enjoyed it far more than I thought I would!

Orphan_Black

VIP Member
A Christmas carol (any of them) is the only Xmas film to watch.
Muppets Christmas Carol is a work of art.

Isn’t it wild they’ve always shown Oliver Twist on daytime and there’s a literal hanging scene and themes of domestic violence?!

Ngl I do actively seek it out to watch it but yikes 😬

Sort of related, watched Hocus Pocus for the first time in years and was kinda shocked with how mature/dark some of it was. The sequel was also watched, but the less said about that, the better.

• Heart

StrawberryCream

VIP Member
Went to a couple of garden centres today to look at Xmas departments and it was lovely. Peaceful as its midweek in October so it meant we could actually look at everything properly.

Got a few nice baubles to add to my tree.

Bought my first Xmas pressie

And then I finished my audiobook on my way home and didn't want to chose a new one when I only had 5 mins left of my journey, so I popped heart Xmas on and sang along for the last bit of my drive home
I went to a garden centre too today with my SIL we actually just went in for lunch and she got carried away and bought a £200 Christmas tree 🤣 its like a winter wonderland in my local one already. I need to go back and have a proper look at everything.

• Heart

And_that's_okay!

VIP Member
Does anyone do a Christmas bathroom? I saw a entire range of Christmas bathroom items in The Range today. I'm definitely going to be a Nana with a Christmas bathroom 😅 (one day)

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 11

JE172

VIP Member
New to this thread, I LOVE Christmas! But I need some advice.
Every year I host Christmas Eve at my house, so my husband the kids and I and then our parents, my brother, his sister and her husband and 2 kids. Then Christmas Day is with my family so we don’t see my in laws a part from Christmas Eve.
the 2 times we did Christmas Eve at my SIL house, she asked for us to pay our share for the food, no problem we did that’s fine. Then when I started she asked me how much money she owes me for the meal, so we said nothing just bring some alcohol for the evening. So they brought a bottle of wine with them, ok fine.
but now, they come every year and they come empty handed, not even a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates, nothing. And it’s really starting to piss me off, I spend about 800€ for this one meal alone.

we tell each other what to buy for the kids so we don’t have useless things. As my baby was only 6 months last year, I asked her for a gift card for clothes later on (as she already had thousands of toys) and I got her girls a bunch of toys from their Santa’s list. She got us a stuffed toy, that I don’t think was new it had a hole in it and was clearly not clean. This really pissed me off as it was my little girls first Christmas and no effort was made (and I spent quite a bit on her girls, I always do)

to top that off, on the 23rd of December she sent us a text saying, let’s just get each other 10€ max gifts, and spoil the kids rather than each other , ok fine, but it was the 23rd of December I had already bought the gifts. I wasn’t too bothered about that, I was bothered when my little girl got an old stuffed toy!

so this year,they are all getting small cheap presents. But please how can I tell them that I shouldn’t be paying for absolutely everything. My husband said we should say we are not hosting this year and that it’s their turn, but I don’t want to have my kids miss out on a lovely magical Christmas Eve, as they don’t actually make an effort

Ps: I know I sound like a bitch saying this but I just think it’s really unfair how they act towards us, we let them have free holidays in our holiday home etc. And I just feel like we are being used. And to clarify, they are not struggling money wise, they are not as well off as we are, but seriously they can more than afford a present for my little girl and bring a bottle of wine or something.
My SIL used to do this! Came to us 3 years running with her tribe of kids and a Nivea gift set for us, ate and drank us out of home! After the 3rd time we just booked to go out the next year for Christmas dinner, told them what pub we would be at and said they were welcome to book their own table, surprise surprise they didn’t bother!

• Wow
  • Heart

al255

VIP Member
I've bought loads of second hand stuff for mine in the past! Ebay mainly. I've even re-gifted presents that their older brother had (8 year + age gap). Their joint main present this year is second hand, bought from an acquaintance so do not have any guilt about it at all. Think of it as recycling and getting the most out of things.
thank you all xx

I just felt like i should have bought it brand new cos everything else I get is brand new (society too.. we often don’t hear enough about second hand toys etc being bought but there’s a lot to be said about those that are willing to donate second hand toys to others, so why is it frowned upon so much maybe??)

Although I’ve started buying her some coats off vinted (stick them on a 60 wash) and I got a puddle suit off vinted that was brand new with tags! I’m not skint really but with the price of everything going up I want to make sure my bills and mortgage etc is a priority over winter.

I’d have to take it out the box anyway to build it. I’ve got a huge bow to put on it. I want to try and teach her that you don’t always have to buy brand new to be happy/pay full price for everything.

• Heart

MaineCoonMama

VIP Member
I

Same hun same 🤣
Random question, but do the christmas decs and cards in Australia have snow on them? 🤣 just something I've always wondered about in hot countries! And are the Christmas adverts wintery too or set in summer?
Some cards have wintery scenes one them, we do get them with Santa hanging with kangaroos and things as well! Here is one of our Christmas ads from Aldi.

• Haha