Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
How did they get their money? Who are they?

"The couple met in 1987 when Tony stopped at a petrol station in Manchester to ask for directions.

At the time, Tony had won the runner up prize in the the New Scientist of the year award.

The two men have a combined wealth of £40million.

They have made their money from various business ventures, including a global medical research company.

They also earn cash from real estate."

Reactions: 1
Might not be the appropriate thread if it’s not direct me elsewhere please.
Has anyone made the decision not to buy for others this year? How do you stop feeling guilty about it.
My gas meter needs the couple of hundred I would spend.
We stopped as a family a few years ago, only buy for my daughter (19) she’s had £150 and will buy for niece and nephew (8 and 6) £30 each, no pressies for adults (parents and partners both sides, bro and his girlfriend or my grandad) and I don’t expect anything back. We all just had an honest convo that we couldn’t afford it and didn’t want to waste money and that Xmas was just about being together, eating and watching crap tv. Everyone chips in for booze and food but it’s not extravagant (just a Sunday lunch with added starter and pud). We all make more of an effort for birthdays as they are individual and far more special for us as a family.
Just have the conversations and people should understand, times are hard and no one should feel guilty for not spending money you haven’t got.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
We stopped as a family a few years ago, only buy for my daughter (19) she’s had £150 and will buy for niece and nephew (8 and 6) £30 each, no pressies for adults (parents and partners both sides, bro and his girlfriend or my grandad) and I don’t expect anything back. We all just had an honest convo that we couldn’t afford it and didn’t want to waste money and that Xmas was just about being together, eating and watching crap tv. Everyone chips in for booze and food but it’s not extravagant (just a Sunday lunch with added starter and pud). We all make more of an effort for birthdays as they are individual and far more special for us as a family.
Just have the conversations and people should understand, times are hard and no one should feel guilty for not spending money you haven’t got.
This. We’ve never bothered with gifts to each other, even pre economic tit show. No #boydidgood #spoiltrotten #mineisbetterthanyours pics in my gaff 😂
No presents for adults. One secret Santa. Lots of food, lots of family and friend time. Lots of wholehearted connection.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I feel ya with the 4 year old wanting Tommy Hilfiger.

My daughter is 12 and this year wants a swimming pool so we're having to build an extension. It takes up the space her pony lived on but she got that last Xmas and is bored of it now, so we're selling it for glue...

...or not. What an absolute heap of shite that a 4 year old cares about designer labels. As if! 🙄😂

• Haha
Reactions: 21
We had £100 limits when I was a teen in the mid 90s so I don’t actually think £2/300 is excessive nearly 30 years later with the cost of things. I feel it’s sad people get into debt though.

I’ve never borrowed for Christmas I save. Though I don’t spend huge amounts which dates back to when I was on low wages. My nephews and nieces are older. The adults now don’t get. I buy their children if they have.

I have godchildren I buy for My budget for any kids is £15/£20 plenty for a nice gift even now.I’m thinking of doing lottery tickets or a scratch card for family adults this year just to open when we meet. Life is a bit crap right now.

I spend £50ish on my dad and I do get a sibiling a small gift as they do a lot for family. Other one does feck all and buys no one so nope! I spend around £100 on my fella and £20 for 4 close friends. We get some extra snacks in but I work around and at Christmas so pointless overdoing it.

I love Christmas but I love the getting together and family/friend time elements as much as the gifting.

Reactions: 2
My three year old nephew has no concept of asking for anything. At that age kids might run up to a toy in a shop but that’s about as far as they go. I suppose if pushed he would say he wants a toy car or something.

Reactions: 3
Omg 🙌🙌 people with actual common sense!
I agree with everything you have said so much

Reactions: 5
I had to play that youtube clip 3 times, I thought I miss heard he has a partner and a husband (who had a partner)

Iv also realised iv asked the question an not answered it my self.

I don't have a budget as such, I spend about £500 on my 3 children.

Reactions: 1
I had to play that youtube clip 3 times, I thought I miss heard he has a partner and a husband (who had a partner)

Iv also realised iv asked the question an not answered it my self.

I don't have a budget as such, I spend about £500 on my 3 children.
£500 each (it wouldn't let me edit)

Anyone worried about reducing their budget or not buying family a gift, you could tell them it's for environmental reasons. Also Amazon vouchers, Amazon don't pay their fair share of corporation tax in the UK so personally I would choose John Lewis vouchers or another company that does pay their tax here unless there is something specific that the recipient wants. Our services need funding so why give money to companies like Amazon, letting money leave the country that we desperately need when there is an alternative.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I've already prewarned the kids that they are not getting as much this year. Few cheap bits in their stockings, some choc and £100 each. The kids seem fine with that.

Not buying for any adult relatives except mother in law. And all had that agreement for a few years now.

We had started this thing of buying posh advent calendars a few years back, but this year we just bought the £1 calendars.

Not sure I'll bother with Christmas cards this year because stamps are extortionate.

Usually have a meal out just the four of us but I'll do something at home instead, go for a walk, see all the lights then come home and have some cheap picky bits etc and a Christmas film.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The only adults we buy for are parents and my husband. Apart from them, we only buy for children. We all sing from the same hymn sheet, so no hard feelings.

I spend £20 on each nieces and nephews.

My children will usually get what they've asked for...but within reason and they know that things cost alot of money. They don't always get the same amount spent on them. I don't buy tit just to bring it to the same value. I buy what I think they'd like or what they've asked for and within our means.

If they want something expensive, it is usually for a birthday present. And they know how to save.

I've also bought second hand toys...because I believe that not everything needs to be new. You can buy fully boxed, 'like new' toys, such as Playmobil for a fraction of the cost. Its really worth checking.
There's also some lovely little things on Etsy, like craft sets.

Reactions: 4
We are fortunate at the moment. We have a decent income coming in and our bills are fixed. Our disposable income hasn’t changed much but this year I really feel loathed to spend so much on Christmas. I don’t know if it’s just the uncertainty, the mood at the moment or I’m being grumpy. I love Christmas usually but this year I’m struggling to get excited about the slog that’s coming.

I’m still finding things in my kids wardrobes from last year that they’ve barely touched- it goes through me really especially when people are struggling to put their heating on. I think I’ll be ignoring the “insta huns” and having a scaled back December for sure.

Reactions: 5
I've already prewarned the kids that they are not getting as much this year. Few cheap bits in their stockings, some choc and £100 each. The kids seem fine with that.

Not buying for any adult relatives except mother in law. And all had that agreement for a few years now.

We had started this thing of buying posh advent calendars a few years back, but this year we just bought the £1 calendars.

Not sure I'll bother with Christmas cards this year because stamps are extortionate.

Usually have a meal out just the four of us but I'll do something at home instead, go for a walk, see all the lights then come home and have some cheap picky bits etc and a Christmas film.
Sounds pretty perfect tbh x

Reactions: 3