Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This year the adults are getting succulent arrangements in terracotta pots. I've been propagating my succulents over the last two years and been rather successful at it so have plenty to make 4 arrangements. Terracotta pots and saucers are quite cheap and I'll decorate them in some way using stuff I already have. I saw a video by Garden Answer where they made gift "baskets" out of the pots and saucers so I might do that. I reckon it'll be under £10 per item = £40 max.
This would be the perfect gift for me.

I haven't started mine yet, unless you count the box of mince pies i bought Friday, which i have just finished eating. :rolleyes:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
In past years I've spent around £20 per couple/person for gifts - I buy for 3 couples (aunt and uncle and 2 cousins and their spouses), 2 teenage second cousins and a neighbour down the road. I spend more on my Mum, probs about £50.

However am currently not working, although I have been putting a small amount by throughout the year to have as "normal" a Christmas as possible, and not increase my debt further unnecessarily. I like to treat myself to the Elemis and L'occitane Christmas TSVs on QVC each year so also saved to accommodate those (although it looks like I might not be getting the Elemis one thanks to Evri ☹).

This year the adults are getting succulent arrangements in terracotta pots. I've been propagating my succulents over the last two years and been rather successful at it so have plenty to make 4 arrangements. Terracotta pots and saucers are quite cheap and I'll decorate them in some way using stuff I already have. I saw a video by Garden Answer where they made gift "baskets" out of the pots and saucers so I might do that. I reckon it'll be under £10 per item = £40 max.

The teenagers are getting a small gift - I snagged an offer on some grüum products (basically got one set free) and I'll get some chocolate to go with it. So probs £5 each = £10.

My Mum....she's so difficult to buy for. She's not a stereotypical woman so stuff like beauty products etc is of nil interest, she'd prefer stuff like a spare battery for the lawnmower lol. However they're expensive so not getting that. She's been moaning about the tin openers (she has problems with her hands) so might get her an electric one.

Christmas cards: I usually only post one, the rest are hand delivered. I've got plenty left over from previous years. Ditto wrapping paper (brown paper that I decorate).

Food: we've already started a Christmas box, buying a few things each week to put away. Also buying 1-2 items a week for a local collection by a group my Mum goes to that'll be going to the Trussell Trust. We don't have guests for Christmas Day so we don't get a huge turkey or anything.

Anyway, sorry for the novel lol.
Plants are a fantastic idea. I always give plants instead of flowers. I bought small gold terrariums off ebay and filled them with cacti and white pebbles. They look great.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Plants are a fantastic idea. I always give plants instead of flowers. I bought small gold terrariums off ebay and filled them with cacti and white pebbles. They look great.
They're lovely.

Pointless giving me plants as I can't keep them alive, I'm so bad that last year one of my daughters bought me a book called How not to kill your houseplants 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I have a very small family. No fixed budget but will roughly be £70 each on parents. £40 each on 2 siblings. £6-700 each on 2 children. Always go to a Christmas event, this year an illumination trail. I’ll be hosting New Years lunch but none of us drink alcohol so won’t be especially expensive. I don’t do Christmas Eve boxes but children will get their Xmas pjs and advent calendars Dec 1st (to get their wear out of them!).

Reactions: 4
I have a very small family. No fixed budget but will roughly be £70 each on parents. £40 each on 2 siblings. £6-700 each on 2 children. Always go to a Christmas event, this year an illumination trail. I’ll be hosting New Years lunch but none of us drink alcohol so won’t be especially expensive. I don’t do Christmas Eve boxes but children will get their Xmas pjs and advent calendars Dec 1st (to get their wear out of them!).
Ooh I like your idea of giving the kids their Xmas PJs with their advent calendars on 1st Dec instead of on Xmas Eve, think I'll steal that 😄

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Myself, my siblings and their partners do a £30 Secret Santa. However in previous years I have been known to gift everyone a little something as well, if I see something I think they'd like I just get it as an extra.
My parents I will probably spend roughly £100 each.
Niece and nephew I have budgeted £50 for each of them, but will probably end up going over this 🙃

Reactions: 1
They're lovely.

Pointless giving me plants as I can't keep them alive, I'm so bad that last year one of my daughters bought me a book called How not to kill your houseplants 😂
My friend killed her cactus by overwatering it.

Always fake plants lol .

Reactions: 3
I get things throughout the year so my daughter was finished by sep I did overspend (not on credit)so about £500 on her but I don’t tend to get her toys at any other time of year as for her birthday I try and take us away for a couple of nights this year peppa pig world for example. We don’t tend to do expensive days out at any other time but I’ve booked 3 Christmas outings and a playmobil advent calendar so that and Christmas Eve box was probably £125, my partner wanted trainers they are £380 which to me is ridiculous I’d never spend that on shoes for me don’t do designer but he’s been after them for a long time, parents £60 each, Brother and SIL £30 each and nephew and niece £20. My Nan was £20 and my neighbours who are basically family were £80 x3 and £20 for their grandson. Couple of friends at £25-30 each. I save with park throughout the year for the food and normally save £200 Sainsbury and £50 m and s but that goes on helping to get bits in November too while I’m having to buy other gifts. Dogs getting a pack of toys and prob £5 on veggies for the chickens, rabbits and guinea pigs. Christmas dinner is a normal roast for us and a dessert but I like to get plenty of nibbles. I do think I go overboard but my parents always made Christmas seem so magical and I hope to do the same I’m most excited about the breakfast with Santa, train ride and farm grotto outings.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I get things throughout the year so my daughter was finished by sep I did overspend (not on credit)so about £500 on her but I don’t tend to get her toys at any other time of year as for her birthday I try and take us away for a couple of nights this year peppa pig world for example. We don’t tend to do expensive days out at any other time but I’ve booked 3 Christmas outings and a playmobil advent calendar so that and Christmas Eve box was probably £125, my partner wanted trainers they are £380 which to me is ridiculous I’d never spend that on shoes for me don’t do designer but he’s been after them for a long time, parents £60 each, Brother and SIL £30 each and nephew and niece £20. My Nan was £20 and my neighbours who are basically family were £80 x3 and £20 for their grandson. Couple of friends at £25-30 each. I save with park throughout the year for the food and normally save £200 Sainsbury and £50 m and s but that goes on helping to get bits in November too while I’m having to buy other gifts. Dogs getting a pack of toys and prob £5 on veggies for the chickens, rabbits and guinea pigs. Christmas dinner is a normal roast for us and a dessert but I like to get plenty of nibbles. I do think I go overboard but my parents always made Christmas seem so magical and I hope to do the same I’m most excited about the breakfast with Santa, train ride and farm grotto outings.
This sounds lovely. About the only time of the year I wish I had children. Because if I wanted to go on this breakfast with Santa people would just think weirdo and hide their kids 😂 Honestly would book myself for a Santa’s grotto, I’m such a kid

This sounds lovely. About the only time of the year I wish I had children. Because if I wanted to go on this breakfast with Santa people would just think weirdo and hide their kids 😂 Honestly would book myself for a Santa’s grotto, I’m such a kid
If you have a friend with a child go with them! Someone needs to do an adults Santa grotto. Xx

Reactions: 2
Normally spend around £800 each on my two kids (6,2). Around £50 each on parents and then £30 each on nieces and nephews. £300 on food and drink.

This year I am totally out of inspiration for presents....
Plus I calculated I have around 30 presents for friends and family.
Plus extra 10 for friends kids...

It's so hard to buy them all presents, BCS nowadays everyone has everything.

Maybe this year I make my presents... Maybe handmade chocolate, cookies, candles....
Probably next weekend I should start with preparations. 😱

Maybe this year I make my presents... Maybe handmade chocolate, cookies, candles....
There is absolutely no need at all for you to be buying that many gifts - it’s utterly ridiculous.

Reactions: 9

There’s no need to buy for so many friends and their kids. I would cut this down - they would probably be glad in a way.

Reactions: 5
We have spent about 800 euro on the kids. Could keep going but will need practical things in Jan.
We buy for nieces and nephews - it's ridiculous as lots of things bought that isnt needed. I've bluntly told my family there's no need to buy mine a thing, an icecream/ Trip to the playground is really appreciated. I play along with the in laws, I dont want to offend anyone or seem unappreciative.

We will see how the bills are after all that is looked after - Santa visit, pjs, all those things are adding up. I don't want to be stoney broke in January so will try to be more mindful this year

If your friends have kids, buy for the kids (if you want to) and leave the parents

I buy “family” gifts for friends ie biscuits/cake etc for all to share

• Heart
Normally spend around £800 each on my two kids (6,2). Around £50 each on parents and then £30 each on nieces and nephews. £300 on food and drink.
Out of curiosity as someone who doesn’t have kids, what are you buying a 2 year old that costs £800?

You spend £800 on a 6 year old and a 2 year old?!! On what exactly?! You realise a 2 year old doesn’t have any real comprehension of Christmas and won’t even remember any of it….!
That’s madness.

Reactions: 2