Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm going all mumsnet now šŸ˜…

Do you have a budget for Christmas?

A friend of a friend spends Ā£200 for 4 children and 2 x grandparents an I can't get my head round it, I need to know what she's buying!!

This isn't to shame anyone on, im just interested.

Yes I've had to drop the budget , it used to be Ā£1000 that's all food ,presents , alcohol, everything its more likely to be around Ā£600 this Christmas, for everything, already got my meat for Christmas and new year , butcher had a brilliant offer on forerib beef so got it while it was cheap and got an excellent perfectly brand new looking 2nd hand switch for my grandson and a mate was getting rid of a lot of games so worked out very well.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Approx Ā£300 per child (we have 5), Ā£200 on food, and Ā£100 on two other family members (depending on your perspective weā€™re lucky to not have a big extended family!), and probably another Ā£200 for a festive day out somewhere (ice-skating etc.) so probably Ā£2k all in.

It puts us into our overdraft until February every damn year- I never learn!

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Budget, whatā€™s one of those? šŸ™ƒ
Iā€™ve given myself a budget for 20 years since becoming a mum and never stick to it.
I start buying bits of food that go in a box in the shed or freezer around mid October then it doesnā€™t hit me too much in the pocket for the big food shop.
As for gift costs. I donā€™t keep count. I spend what I can afford to.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
4 kids, 2 kids partners, dinner for 8, 3 nieces/nephews, 4 elderlies, 1 sibling and sibling in law. Budget this year Ā£2000 not including presents for husband and me from each other
literally have it in a seperate account and kids know budget and choose accordingly (bearing in mind all my ā€kidsā€ are teens and adults now)

Reactions: 2
We donā€™t have a budget as such, but we donā€™t spend lots. One DD, whoā€™s not really into expensive stuff (may change as she gets older of course!). 2 x parents, each other and a few token gifts for friends
Food- I usually prep stuff ahead and cook myself, but itā€™s been a tit year, so we may do an M&S foil tray Christmas, which will be a little more expensive!

Reactions: 1
Parents, brother an wife all get Ā£50, my friend gets around the Ā£20 to Ā£30, an my neice can get up to Ā£100 because I have problems spoiling her lol although I do try an keep it a bit under that as her bday is January an I like to go around Ā£30 to Ā£50, there's just no way am changing it, it's hard enough for me, I've taken to making stuff now, can buy yarn quite cheap so I've started to make scarfs, hats etc going try dolls for my neice, just little things to put in with what they get, I don't feel like they are bad presents, I'll look out for deals, I've gotten tea for 2 before within budget an gave my parents a day out on the train over Glenfinnan viaduct with cakes an sandwiches as well, somtimes breaks to go or caladonian travel offer days out or even over night stays I can somtimes get for the folks or my brother an his wife, or I'll maybe make up hampers for them, a gift voucher an some food an drink they like with maybe a bath thing thrown in, but I do like to look out for the days out stuff, but I stay under the Ā£300 mark, rather than chip in with Xmas Dinner I'll be the one cooking it all, it's kindi like our deal, they can sit an relax an I'll do a 4 course for everyone, so it's more my time I offer than money

Reactions: 4
I've tried to budget this year, I've bought all my sons presents with my October pay, all my daughters will be bought with November pay and December's will be left for food and any trips out. Fingers crossed that will work.

I've also been trying to pick up an extra item of cupboard or freezable Xmas food shop each time I go shopping.

Some years I've been paying klarna off well into Jan / Feb and put loads on credit cards so I'm hoping this year I've been a bit more sensible.

I started off the year with an asda Xmas savings card (5 a week with my food shop = 250 for a big Dec food shop), but I only remembered to top up for two weeks šŸ˜‚ next year I'm going to try harder with that

Reactions: 5
I have a budget of Ā£500 for people for Christmas it will be a tight month

Approx Ā£300 per child (we have 5), Ā£200 on food, and Ā£100 on two other family members (depending on your perspective weā€™re lucky to not have a big extended family!), and probably another Ā£200 for a festive day out somewhere (ice-skating etc.) so probably Ā£2k all in.

It puts us into our overdraft until February every damn year- I never learn!
Ā£300 per child. Wow.

Reactions: 8
Last year I spent 2k on my then 12 year old but a big chunk of that was was on IPad Pro and the Apple Pencil.
Itā€™s going to be around Ā£1500 on her this year I think.

Iā€™ll probably get asked how I spend so much but it adds up insanely fast on coats, trainers, clothes, jewellery, make up/skincare. She has expensive taste.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
Last year I spent 2k on my then 12 year old but a big chunk of that was was on IPad Pro and the Apple Pencil.

Iā€™ll probably get asked how I spend so much but it adds up insanely fast on coats, trainers, clothes, jewellery, make up/skincare. She has expensive taste.
I don't see the problem if you can afford it.

Reactions: 16
Ā£300 per child. Wow.
Like ā€œWow thatā€™s tight, wowā€, or a ā€œWow thatā€™s excessive, wowā€?

If itā€™s the latter, I canā€™t wait to see your reaction to the person who is planning on spending Ā£1.5k on her daughter šŸ˜…šŸæ

For the record, if you can afford it, and your kid isnā€™t a spoilt hole as a result, then I firmly believe in spending whatever the duck you like.

• Haha
Reactions: 30

Can u tell me what your getting her please I need ideas lol!

I also spend about Ā£300 a child (I have 2) and believe it or not they donā€™t look like they have much with that but what they do have are a few expensive items as theyā€™re older, trainers and a tracksuit is easily Ā£200 of that. I do try and save for it and theyā€™re good kids, they donā€™t ask me for much all year round so Iā€™m happy to spoil them a bit at Xmas.

Another Ā£150 on parents and siblings, husband and I arenā€™t buying for each other this year as weā€™re putting any spends towards a holiday next year.

Probably another Ā£150 on food and plenty of mince pies and baileys!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Like ā€œWow thatā€™s tight, wowā€, or a ā€œWow thatā€™s excessive, wowā€?

If itā€™s the latter, I canā€™t wait to see your reaction to the person who is planning on spending Ā£1.5k on her daughter šŸ˜…šŸæ

For the record, if you can afford it, and your kid isnā€™t a spoilt hole as a result, then I firmly believe in spending whatever the duck you like.
1.5k double wow.

I don't see the problem if you can afford it.
[/QUOTE
I never said it was a problem, but it does surprise me.
if you have access abundance, fair enough, to each their own. I just find it shocking.

on a side note some people are going to find the great reset Shocking šŸ¤£šŸ˜‚šŸ¤£

Last edited:
  • Haha
I think itā€™ll be about Ā£250 for my son, but I only buy for him. I donā€™t have parents or grandparents. Siblings have never got for each other or our children as it was far too expensive (8 siblings countless in-laws and nieces and nephews). Friends have said no this year, all very much trying our best for our own immediate family. Food I donā€™t do much as itā€™s just 4 of us, last year was maybe Ā£100. Biggest problem is my sons birthday is days before Christmasā€¦bad timing! Good news is he hates parties!

This year probably about Ā£250-300 on my son, Ā£100 on boyfriend, Ā£50 each on mum, grandma, brother and his partner and then Ā£20 each on my three nephews. Iā€™ll also go halves on food and drink with my brother for Xmas day at my mums.

I donā€™t budget per se but this year will be majorly cutting down- not just from the financial perspective- my children have too much stuff. My daughters birthday was a couple of months ago and honestly the amount of new toys to find homes for was absolutely overwhelming. I have some ideas for her but Iā€™m completely stuck with my son. Lots of the bigger toys (kitchen etc) heā€™s inherited from my daughter and Iā€™d rather not buy more for the sake of it.

Iā€™ll probably end up spending around Ā£250 on my daughter and Ā£80-100 on my son. Then around Ā£50 each for parents, Ā£150 on my partner and Ā£35 on sisters. Food shop will be around Ā£200.