Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
No adults in our family get anything, the 2 littles will get about £50 each usually gift vouchers for horse riding. Food about £150, nobody really drinks though so that keeps it down. Not a money issue just got sick of buying things for the sake of it. Might get my son and i tickets for Les Mis

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Deliberately getting into debt is stupid. It’s not part of modern life. It’s part of life for those who are tit with money and don’t have the capacity to budget and buy only what they can afford. If you have to use an overdraft then you do not have the money available to spend. It’s basic simple maths.
If it's cleared by February, it's really not an issue. Imagine getting this upset by somebody else's overdraft.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 29
This thread got crazy quick, for me I can honestly see why people can an do go into the overdraft an somtimes I don't think it's really the parents fault, my aunt would be in the overdraft every year because the kids obviously wanted what all their friends got, the latest trainers, concert tickets, a phone or tablet, the latest games console etc and it would be feb/March before she was cleared

Before I had my neice I'd be thinking to myself why is she letting them pick such expensive things when she hasn't got it, it's just stupid to do that an they need to be told no, till now when I find myself doing the same thing because my neice now wants certain things that's expensive an kids don't understand the value of money, my neice will pick up a doll that to her is pretty an has all these things but doesn't understand that doll is £50 an it's only going get worse when she starts going to friends an seeing what they have which she will want herself, obviously she will need to learn no but I do get why parents can get into dept, it isn't easy to say no to your kid at Xmas especially if the expensive thing is the only thing they have asked for an £300 these days doesn't go far, hell a games console can be over that on its own now an I doupt any parent here is going to get their kid just ONE thing for Xmas

Sorry for the rant, just feel is isn't fair to really call out people who do get into the overdraft when in this day an age nothing is cheap these days for kids especially when it comes to the tech stuff which all kids want

Reactions: 4
This thread got crazy quick, for me I can honestly see why people can an do go into the overdraft an somtimes I don't think it's really the parents fault, my aunt would be in the overdraft every year because the kids obviously wanted what all their friends got, the latest trainers, concert tickets, a phone or tablet, the latest games console etc and it would be feb/March before she was cleared

Before I had my neice I'd be thinking to myself why is she letting them pick such expensive things when she hasn't got it, it's just stupid to do that an they need to be told no, till now when I find myself doing the same thing because my neice now wants certain things that's expensive an kids don't understand the value of money, my neice will pick up a doll that to her is pretty an has all these things but doesn't understand that doll is £50 an it's only going get worse when she starts going to friends an seeing what they have which she will want herself, obviously she will need to learn no but I do get why parents can get into dept, it isn't easy to say no to your kid at Xmas especially if the expensive thing is the only thing they have asked for an £300 these days doesn't go far, hell a games console can be over that on its own now an I doupt any parent here is going to get their kid just ONE thing for Xmas

Sorry for the rant, just feel is isn't fair to really call out people who do get into the overdraft when in this day an age nothing is cheap these days for kids especially when it comes to the tech stuff which all kids want
My mother had 0 issues saying no to me and she always managed to not spend a fortune on me!

Clearly she mustn’t have liked me 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
My mother had 0 issues saying no to me and she always managed to not spend a fortune on me!

Clearly she mustn’t have liked me 😂
My mum was the same, if she couldn't afford it then it was a straight up no not getting an that was the end of it, but I do think most parents these days are under pressure to get their kids what others are getting, one year my cousin got concert tickets to 4 different bands cause her friends all got them an the mother's were asking if her kid was going to it since all her friends were so she felt she had to go an get them so my cousin didn't miss out with her friends

Times have really changed, my mates wouldn't have bothered if I didn't get to a concert with them but now a days kids will ditch you if you don't go, it's sad really

Reactions: 1

Kids don’t understand the value of money. Correct. They are children. But PARENTS or ADULT CAREGIVERS are supposed to be responsible and able to correctly manage their finances and budget accordingly. You don’t just blindly dish out money YOU HAVENT GOT for the sheer hell of it just because your kid asks for some overpriced pair of trainers. You want to splash money on your kids - fine. Save money throughout the year - put a bit aside so that when it comes to December you’ve got a pot of money available to spend. No debt, no irresponsible spending.

no wonder so many people are in a financial shambles when the attitude is to just spend whatever it takes and to hell with it - worry about it later.

Reactions: 5
My mum was the same, if she couldn't afford it then it was a straight up no not getting an that was the end of it, but I do think most parents these days are under pressure to get their kids what others are getting, one year my cousin got concert tickets to 4 different bands cause her friends all got them an the mother's were asking if her kid was going to it since all her friends were so she felt she had to go an get them so my cousin didn't miss out with her friends

Times have really changed, my mates wouldn't have bothered if I didn't get to a concert with them but now a days kids will ditch you if you don't go, it's sad really
It was the same when I was younger really. I was the only one without an iPhone and I was made to feel like an outcast. Same with when I was in college and I was made fun of for just getting a jacket for Christmas 🤷‍♀️

I do think it’s gotten worse though, there’s more social media now than when I was young and so many kids are watching all these influencers with designer clothes and makeup and they just want it all. There’s so much greed and materialistic behaviour now, it’s sad.

I do think some parents need to put their foot down. Kids need to be taught to not be greedy and they need to learn that if you can’t afford something, you can’t have it. They need to learn that Christmas is about family & friends and not “stuff”.

Reactions: 10
Kids don’t understand the value of money. Correct. They are children. But PARENTS or ADULT CAREGIVERS are supposed to be responsible and able to correctly manage their finances and budget accordingly. You don’t just blindly dish out money YOU HAVENT GOT for the sheer hell of it just because your kid asks for some overpriced pair of trainers. You want to splash money on your kids - fine. Save money throughout the year - put a bit aside so that when it comes to December you’ve got a pot of money available to spend. No debt, no irresponsible spending.

no wonder so many people are in a financial shambles when the attitude is to just spend whatever it takes and to hell with it - worry about it later.
You say that like things won't come up out the blue, people can save all they want an then the boiler can pack in or their car might need repairs, can't exactly tell the kids oh sorry this year you can't get things because the cars mot failed especially when they might still be at a age they think santa brings everything

People do get into financial bother an it isn't fair to shame them for it when it's companys being greedy, do trainers need to be £80 when they probably get made for £5.. no, do consoles that probably only cost £100 to make need to be £500...no, should all these social sites with these "influences" be allowed to market overpriced tit towards kids that's cheap for them to make.. Of course not, but it happens

I might not be a parent but I do feel damn sorry for those parents that do struggle financially because they still want their kid to get that one thing they want even if it means an overdraft

You say that like things won't come up out the blue, people can save all they want an then the boiler can pack in or their car might need repairs, can't exactly tell the kids oh sorry this year you can't get things because the cars mot failed especially when they might still be at a age they think santa brings everything

People do get into financial bother an it isn't fair to shame them for it when it's companys being greedy, do trainers need to be £80 when they probably get made for £5.. no, do consoles that probably only cost £100 to make need to be £500...no, should all these social sites with these "influences" be allowed to market overpriced tit towards kids that's cheap for them to make.. Of course not, but it happens

I might not be a parent but I do feel damn sorry for those parents that do struggle financially because they still want their kid to get that one thing they want even if it means an overdraft
You are missing the point though. You can’t spend what you haven’t got. Yes of course sometimes tit happens and best laid plans go to the wall but my point was that it’s irresponsible to deliberately put yourself into debt - to actively plan to do it - at Christmas just because you’ve decided you HAVE to spend hundreds of pounds on nonessential stuff. It’s ludicrous! I just can’t understand that mentality. Or that parents HAVE to spend over their budget because the kids want whatever they want. Hell no. That shows that the kids are spoiled, entitled little brats.

Reactions: 2
You are missing the point though. You can’t spend what you haven’t got. Yes of course sometimes tit happens and best laid plans go to the wall but my point was that it’s irresponsible to deliberately put yourself into debt - to actively plan to do it - at Christmas just because you’ve decided you HAVE to spend hundreds of pounds on nonessential stuff. It’s ludicrous! I just can’t understand that mentality. Or that parents HAVE to spend over their budget because the kids want whatever they want. Hell no. That shows that the kids are spoiled, entitled little brats.
But OP said she pays it all back by February? I understand that means she’s in debt but that’s temporarily and clearly with the income to pay it back.

Reactions: 10
Well that was a wild read! Early on we decided to treat Christmas like an celebration rather than a gift-fest, so with our kids we've always done small presents and instead we will go out on a few days out/maybe few days away somewhere in the UK.

I've worked with teenagers for years and I know peer pressure is hard and everyone says that they all want the newest things, but honestly they don't. Not all of them do. It's just a question of how you raise them. If you raise them to chase the newest iPhones and Air Maxes and what not then that's what they'd expect.

• Heart
It’s one thing I never budged on was a decent pair of trainers, growing up I had the shittest ones and it bothered me very much as a teenager.
Never been fussed for designer labels in any of his other clothing really but trainers yes!

Reactions: 3
Well that was a wild read! Early on we decided to treat Christmas like an celebration rather than a gift-fest, so with our kids we've always done small presents and instead we will go out on a few days out/maybe few days away somewhere in the UK.

I've worked with teenagers for years and I know peer pressure is hard and everyone says that they all want the newest things, but honestly they don't. Not all of them do. It's just a question of how you raise them. If you raise them to chase the newest iPhones and Air Maxes and what not then that's what they'd expect.
100% this. It starts almost as soon as they can verbalise what they want in the Supermarket. Buy them treats everytime they whine in the supermarket and it will continue for the next 16 years but they'll be whining for bigger and better things. my Son never had an iphone but it didn't really bother him and it had the added advantage of him being the only one in his year not to get mugged.

100% this. It starts almost as soon as they can verbalise what they want in the Supermarket. Buy them treats everytime they whine in the supermarket and it will continue for the next 16 years but they'll be whining for bigger and better things. my Son never had an iphone but it didn't really bother him and it had the added advantage of him being the only one in his year not to get mugged.
100% agree. I remember buying my two a Wii console when they first came out. It was a joint present and they loved it. Children have to learn that some families have more than others. Even if I was a millionaire I wouldn't have spend over a certain amount on them.

I think it depends on the child, if their friends have the latest Iphone, trainers, PlayStation most kids will also want it so they don't feel left out. Having the latest fashion item, gadget has been a thing for years wasn't that why school uniform was introduced?

I think it depends on the child, if their friends have the latest Iphone, trainers, PlayStation most kids will also want it so they don't feel left out. Having the latest fashion item, gadget has been a thing for years wasn't that why school uniform was introduced?
They may want it but that doesn’t automatically mean they are going to get whatever they want.

We have a shocking amount of nieces/nephews and hitting the great nieces/nephews now (I’m only 34 ffs! 😂) so I budget £30 each for all kids under 16 - we agreed this as a family so we don’t end up buying each other tat. Then £30/40 on parents and grandparents.
My 2girls and OH I save up for with my Plum account through out during the year….got just shy of £1k between them all.
And food shopping I start buying the stuff that will keep from October and do the bid shop right on top of Xmas - I use asda and been using their new reward scheme so that will make a nice dent in the big shop.

That's not really life though. I would like lots of things but I can't have them so I get on with it. I had a job at 15 and if I wanted something I had to save for it. My mum was a single parent and didn't have the money. It didn't bother me if I went without, my friends weren't arseholes either so that helped.

I have three children and that was £300 per child. In that are clothes. Me and my husband don’t usually buy each other anything as we will buy what we want when we are together during Christmas. My Mum I spent £50 (she never wants much) - MIL the same and £100 for BIL and nephew.
That’s my family.
Food is around £300 extra on our weekly shop but we usually host everyone for dinner as we have the biggest house.
I have already done my shopping for presents just needs wrapping

Reactions: 2