Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Honestly very little. Prior to this year we would spend £30 per person for gifts (usually 10 or so to buy for so around £300 altogether) and probably £100 on food for the two of us over the Christmas period. This year, we are only doing gifts for my goddaughter, Gran and our son, simply because we can't afford it. So reduced the present costs to about £100. What would usually be £500 or so, will now be about £200.

I'm not judging people who spend more, it's entirely up to you how you spend your money and likely quite natural to spend more when you have more, but it's never been a desire (or ability) of mine personally to spend alot at Christmas. So to anyone who is reading and feels bad about seeing the big spends - just know you aren't alone!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Honestly very little. Prior to this year we would spend £30 per person for gifts (usually 10 or so to buy for so around £300 altogether) and probably £100 on food for the two of us over the Christmas period. This year, we are only doing gifts for my goddaughter, Gran and our son, simply because we can't afford it. So reduced the present costs to about £100. What would usually be £500 or so, will now be about £200.

I'm not judging people who spend more, it's entirely up to you how you spend your money and likely quite natural to spend more when you have more, but it's never been a desire (or ability) of mine personally to spend alot at Christmas. So to anyone who is reading and feels bad about seeing the big spends - just know you aren't alone!
This is kind of why I’m annoyed by this whole “let’s use the overdraft and be overdrawn for months” nonsense. People go completely mental over Christmas and overspend and get themselves into debt and for what? It’s just stupidity. Paying over the odds for gifts that you can’t afford is just irresponsible and reckless. Being overdrawn for MONTHS for what? It’s 1 day out of the entire YEAR. Spunking £300 on plastic tatt for children is just the behaviour of idiots who don’t have any idea how to budget or manage money responsibly.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
We spend maybe £200 on our only 13 year old child & another £200 on the whole of our family. We don’t bother with each other as we treat ourselves as we need/want things. Really find xmas overrated, we will eat/drink lots but not really spending loads more than a typical week.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Fine. But if you haven’t got £300 and you have said you go into your overdraft and stay overdrawn until February because of it that means the OP clearly hasn’t got the money to spend. And overdraft is DEBT. Someone getting into debt to spunk £300 on crap for Christmas is LUDICROUS. It’s completely irresponsible. If you haven’t got the money to spend you don’t spend it. It’s basic bleeping maths.
I was going to write a huge reply an I can't be bothered.
It's up to her what she does, an if she wants to get into debt then that's up to her.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18
We spend maybe £200 on our only 13 year old child & another £200 on the whole of our family. We don’t bother with each other as we treat ourselves as we need/want things. Really find xmas overrated, we will eat/drink lots but not really spending loads more than a typical week.
Same. Our kids get 1 “Santa” present each. And they get a stocking with some little gifts/sweeties in it. We spend a bit more on the weekly shop for Christmas week - because we tend to buy extra Christmas treats/drinks etc but that’s it. I fill up our “Christmas cupboard” with boxes of chocolates/biscuits/nuts/nibbles etc from now onwards and we buy drinks etc to keep for Xmas & new year.

Reactions: 2
Fine. But if you haven’t got £300 and you have said you go into your overdraft and stay overdrawn until February because of it that means the OP clearly hasn’t got the money to spend. And overdraft is DEBT. Someone getting into debt to spunk £300 on crap for Christmas is LUDICROUS. It’s completely irresponsible. If you haven’t got the money to spend you don’t spend it. It’s basic bleeping maths.
You are going on a bit like you’re footing the bill for their presents you know .
Bit of an assumption that the kids presents are crap too 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 24
This is kind of why I’m annoyed by this whole “let’s use the overdraft and be overdrawn for months” nonsense. People go completely mental over Christmas and overspend and get themselves into debt and for what? It’s just stupidity. Paying over the odds for gifts that you can’t afford is just irresponsible and reckless. Being overdrawn for MONTHS for what? It’s 1 day out of the entire YEAR. Spunking £300 on plastic tatt for children is just the behaviour of idiots who don’t have any idea how to budget or manage money responsibly.
I suppose it's a Western thing isn't it to see an overdraft as funds available when really historically, if you didn't have the cash in your hand, you didn't have it. I mean totally up to the individual what debt they do or don't want to get themselves into, but I do find it sad that £300 is considered to "not get you much", how do we define much? You can get such lovely stuff for so little, books for a couple of quid in charity shops, clothes and toys similar on Vinted etc. But yes certainly if you want new, plastic stuff that's 'in' or high tech, it's going to cost you. If you can afford it and want to do so, then absolutely fair enough, but it is depressing to me people feel pressured or get themselves into financial bother over it.

Reactions: 7
I suppose it's a Western thing isn't it to see an overdraft as funds available when really historically, if you didn't have the cash in your hand, you didn't have it. I mean totally up to the individual what debt they do or don't want to get themselves into, but I do find it sad that £300 is considered to "not get you much", how do we define much? You can get such lovely stuff for so little, books for a couple of quid in charity shops, clothes and toys similar on Vinted etc. But yes certainly if you want new, plastic stuff that's 'in' or high tech, it's going to cost you. If you can afford it and want to do so, then absolutely fair enough, but it is depressing to me people feel pressured or get themselves into financial bother over it.
It’s just ignorant, irresponsible spending. People seem to be unaware that an overdraft or credit card is debt. If you are using them to buy something then that indicates that you cannot afford whatever it is you are buying. And when it’s to spend £300 x 5 on childrens gifts for Christmas it’s just stupid. And it then be overdrawn for MONTHS afterwards it just blows my mind that people can be that stupid.

Reactions: 2
It’s just ignorant, irresponsible spending. People seem to be unaware that an overdraft or credit card is debt. If you are using them to buy something then that indicates that you cannot afford whatever it is you are buying. And when it’s to spend £300 x 5 on childrens gifts for Christmas it’s just stupid. And it then be overdrawn for MONTHS afterwards it just blows my mind that people can be that stupid.

Whilst I understand you do not agree with the OPs approach, at least be kind. Basically calling other posters stupid, isn’t what this thread is for.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30
I don't have a budget as such and I only buy for my kids and no one else. My kids are not Christian and actively practise another religion, I get them a few small token gifts just so they don't feel left out of the excitement and when people ask at school what they got etc...prob spend about 40-50 each on 3 kids. I do spend more on their birthdays, around £150-200 each, thankfully we'll scattered throughout the year and none close to Xmas. You don't get a lot for your money nowadays, it's hard.

Reactions: 5
I have around £1000 disposable cash to spend on my 2 children, husband, both sets of parents/grandparents and friends/their kids. It might not all get spent, but if it does then that's fine.
I don't put myself into debt for it and my bills are paid and up to date.

Reactions: 4
We're hardly spending anything this year. My eldest works full time, earns more than me and has begged me not to buy him anything. Both the kids will get something small. All the nephews and nieces are adults and working. Parents will get something tiny. We always have Christmas day at home and visit family members or have family with us boxing day. My husband and I can go for years not buying each other a Christmas present.

We used to have to take a holiday from our mortgage in November to afford Christmas. We never missed a payment so the bank were happy to let us do it. One of my friends lives off his credit card. Used it to pay for his holidays in the summer and Christmas presents. I'd never sleep if I had debt like that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I have a credit card I use sometimes even though I have savings and husband and I make over 100k per year. I do this because I can be more strict with myself when topping it back up than I am with putting money away in savings and I get points for using it. I’m well aware that it’s debt but it’s proportionate to income.

I think calling people stupid is going a bit far and rather judgemental, is she can pay it off by Feb (so in about 2 pays days presumably) then what’s the problem? It sounds affordable in the grand scheme of things. The vast majority of people have some debt, it’s part of modern life unfortunately. Not everyone has the privilege to be able to buy things outright or save at a quick enough rate. Not everyone has the good fortune to be taught how to manage their money. What’s ignorant in my opinion is assuming you know enough about peoples circumstances to judge? Maybe a perverse statement to make on tattle since I come here to judge myself lol. Just thought your post seemed harsh??

Anyway I will be spending about £300 on immediate family (about 6 people) and nothing on friends. Husband and I never buy each other anything expensive, just jokey things that are cheap! I find the most expensive thing at this time of year to be getting around everyone and attending various do’s, if you’re buying new outfits and taking a bottle of something fizzy for the host then it really adds up!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I have a credit card I use sometimes even though I have savings and husband and I make over 100k per year. I do this because I can be more strict with myself when topping it back up than I am with putting money away in savings and I get points for using it. I’m well aware that it’s debt but it’s proportionate to income.

I think calling people stupid is going a bit far and rather judgemental, is she can pay it off by Feb (so in about 2 pays days presumably) then what’s the problem? It sounds affordable in the grand scheme of things. The vast majority of people have some debt, it’s part of modern life unfortunately. Not everyone has the privilege to be able to buy things outright or save at a quick enough rate. Not everyone has the good fortune to be taught how to manage their money. What’s ignorant in my opinion is assuming you know enough about peoples circumstances to judge? Maybe a perverse statement to make on tattle since I come here to judge myself lol. Just thought your post seemed harsh??

Anyway I will be spending about £300 on immediate family (about 6 people) and nothing on friends. Husband and I never buy each other anything expensive, just jokey things that are cheap! I find the most expensive thing at this time of year to be getting around everyone and attending various do’s, if you’re buying new outfits and taking a bottle of something fizzy for the host then it really adds up!
Deliberately getting into debt is stupid. It’s not part of modern life. It’s part of life for those who are tit with money and don’t have the capacity to budget and buy only what they can afford. If you have to use an overdraft then you do not have the money available to spend. It’s basic simple maths.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Deliberately getting into debt is stupid. It’s not part of modern life. It’s part of life for those who are tit with money and don’t have the capacity to budget and buy only what they can afford. If you have to use an overdraft then you do not have the money available to spend. It’s basic simple maths.
So you own everything outright do you? No mortgage? Inexpensive car? Never used a student overdraft or got a student loan from your local authority? Never used a store card, credit car, klarna, etc.? Never had to get a loan for home improvements? If so, I would consider you in the vast minority and quite privileged so congrats I guess!

Reactions: 14
3 Children aged 5-11 get 1000 each spent on them food 5-6 hundred
Partner we spend 500 on each other, other close family as cheap as possible
Cost of living payment will be used for alcohol this year 🥂 have a good one

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
The only time I care about other people's bills is if I'm paying them 😆 Trust me you only make that mistake 5 times before you cut them off 😆

Reactions: 6