Christmas spending

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Xmas growing up was more about the religious aspect and family. And it’s still like that with my side of the family.

Mr Lolz family was a complete shock. The excess is mind blowing to me and these aren’t people with lots of money.

We give £100 cash to everybody plus about a £50 gift spend per person for 9 people and then £200 cash for his parents plus a gift spend.

I tend to pick things up throughout the year if I think they’ll like it. Like this year I bought my FIL a metal detector for £30, he loves a gadget

Reactions: 2
I don’t have a strict budget for the kids presents. But it’s usually no more than £300-350 each. However other years it’s been more because it’s been a year they’ve had something big like a PlayStation or iPad. I’ve already been asked for a new PlayStation next year because that’s when a lot of the games will no longer be compatible with what they’ve got right now.

I save all year round so the money is there ready to spend. I’ve already started buying a few food bits here and there each week too.

Reactions: 5
Don't have kids thank goodness. Husband and I don't gift, tend to 'do sonething' instead, don't buy for siblings, just nieces and nephews.
Don't spend that much.

Parents have tended to spend around £500 on each of my siblings and I when we were younger. Now we get very large lump sums of money deposited in our accounts 🤣 Trying to avoid inheritance taxes 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Cut back majorly this year. £100 each for mum, dad and brother. £30 each on my aunt, uncle and 2 cousins. £15 bargain for my cousins little girl. No budget for my partner as such. And yet to decide for my grandads household.

My friends and I don’t do presents, will go for a nice meal or day out somewhere.

Food - we are lucky not to be hosting this year but will contribute to food for each day somehow. A couple of desserts or whatever we are asked to bring.

From January I am going to save an amount each month towards Christmas 2023 so whatever is saved will be my budget for next year.

Reactions: 3
Approx £300 per child (we have 5), £200 on food, and £100 on two other family members (depending on your perspective we’re lucky to not have a big extended family!), and probably another £200 for a festive day out somewhere (ice-skating etc.) so probably £2k all in.

It puts us into our overdraft until February every damn year- I never learn!
£300 PER CHILD???! £1500? Why are you spending that kind of money which you don’t have? That’s so excessive.

Reactions: 1
£300 per child isn’t really all that excessive depending on their ages.
I much preferred Christmas when mine was young as £300 would go really far.
That price is a pair of trainers and a bottle of his favourite aftershave nowadays.

Reactions: 13
£300 per child isn’t really all that excessive depending on their ages.
I much preferred Christmas when mine was young as £300 would go really far.
That price is a pair of trainers and a bottle of his favourite aftershave nowadays.
£300 per child x 5 children IS excessive when you haven’t got the money and you are putting yourself in debt for months for it.

• Heart
£300 PER CHILD???! £1500? Why are you spending that kind of money which you don’t have? That’s so excessive.
I didn’t say we couldn’t afford it. I said that it puts us in our overdraft till February. Our household income is around £6k but I’m still dreadful at saving so it takes our January salaries to compensate for enjoying ourselves in December, and then all is back to normal for February. We go skiing in October half-term, and Centre Parcs in February half-term (usually) so between the holidays I never seem to plan for Christmas gifts.

I could save for it if I was so inclined, but as I say I can’t be arsed so I don’t bother.

£300 isn’t a great deal to spend on older children these days imo- it doesn’t get you a lot. I don’t think it’s excessive at all. Then again if it irritates you that it IS excessive then, well that’s an added bonus I guess 💋🖕

In any case, I’m not sure when this thread degenerated into a place to have a pop at people for spending money- fucks sake 🙄

• Heart
Reactions: 25
I didn’t say we couldn’t afford it. I said that it puts us in our overdraft till February. Our household income is around £6k but I’m still dreadful at saving so it takes our January salaries to compensate for enjoying ourselves in December, and then all is back to normal for February. We go skiing in October half-term, and Centre Parcs in February half-term (usually) so between the holidays I never seem to plan for Christmas gifts.

I could save for it if I was so inclined, but as I say I can’t be arsed so I don’t bother.

£300 isn’t a great deal to spend on older children these days imo- it doesn’t get you a lot. I don’t think it’s excessive at all. Then again if it irritates you that it IS excessive then, well that’s an added bonus I guess 💋🖕

In any case, I’m not sure when this thread degenerated into a place to have a pop at people for spending money- fucks sake 🙄
If you are going into your overdraft then you can’t afford it. You are getting into debt. You can’t afford it.

Reactions: 15
Don't have kids thank goodness. Husband and I don't gift, tend to 'do sonething' instead, don't buy for siblings, just nieces and nephews.
Don't spend that much.

Parents have tended to spend around £500 on each of my siblings and I when we were younger. Now we get very large lump sums of money deposited in our accounts 🤣 Trying to avoid inheritance taxes 🤣
Is it too late to wrap my self in a blanket, pop into a wicker Bastet and be left at your parents door for adoption 🥰

• Haha
Reactions: 17
Don't want to derail this thread, but is there one where we can discuss present ideas and ask for help picking something out? I'm crap at this stuff and I already feel like I'm running behind this year, I don't have any gifts and no idea what to get for anybody. A bit of inspo wouldn't hurt!

Reactions: 4
Is it too late to wrap my self in a blanket, pop into a wicker Bastet and be left at your parents door for adoption 🥰
Same! I was born in 95 and I used to get maximum £50 spent on me for my birthday and £50 for Christmas! 😂

Someone took the piss once in college because I was just getting a £30 coat… she was getting iPhone, laptop, designer clothes, shoes, makeup etc 🙄 oh well I can spoil myself at Christmas now I have my own money!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Don't want to derail this thread, but is there one where we can discuss present ideas and ask for help picking something out? I'm crap at this stuff and I already feel like I'm running behind this year, I don't have any gifts and no idea what to get for anybody. A bit of inspo wouldn't hurt!
there’s a thread about christmas here and people have posted questions for inspiration and have been a good help

• Heart
If you are going into your overdraft then you can’t afford it. You are getting into debt. You can’t afford it.
Especially with the cost of living crisis which is bad enough already and is going to get far far worse.

Same! I was born in 95 and I used to get maximum £50 spent on me for my birthday and £50 for Christmas! 😂

Someone took the piss once in college because I was just getting a £30 coat… she was getting iPhone, laptop, designer clothes, shoes, makeup etc 🙄 oh well I can spoil myself at Christmas now I have my own money!
Sounds like you had very balanced and sensible parents. The mickey taker is probably up to her eyeballs in debt by now.

Reactions: 9
Especially with the cost of living crisis which is bad enough already and is going to get far far worse.

Sounds like you had very balanced and sensible parents. The mickey taker is probably up to her eyeballs in debt by now.
It was just my mum to be fair. Single parent and no financial help from my dad. My mum was never one to go into debt for Christmas, she felt I didn’t need that many gifts 😂

I wouldn't waste your time explaining, I'm with you £300 doesn't get you much now days.

• Heart
I wouldn't waste your time explaining, I'm with you £300 doesn't get you much now days.
Fine. But if you haven’t got £300 and you have said you go into your overdraft and stay overdrawn until February because of it that means the OP clearly hasn’t got the money to spend. And overdraft is DEBT. Someone getting into debt to spunk £300 on crap for Christmas is LUDICROUS. It’s completely irresponsible. If you haven’t got the money to spend you don’t spend it. It’s basic bleeping maths.

£300 doesn't go far now but if the kids are old enough to understand that then it shouldn't be a problem. Anyway I spend £30 on each adult-aunts, uncles, cousins etc and about £150 on parents/OH.