Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My SIL fucks me off. Majority of gifts I can ever remember receiving from her are random and incongruous. For my birthday last year she bought me shampoo/conditioner, a candle and a massive bag of bath salts. We don’t have a bath in our house. It was quite clearly a bunch of stuff she had either grabbed in TKMaxx or had regifted onwards. Would have rather had a bottle of wine.
For her birthday last year I bought her a beautiful Neom Organics gift set, it cost about £40 and I specifically chose it as she had been stressed with various life events and had told me not long before her birthday how having baths was helping her to relax. Clearly wasn’t appreciated and she thought I had similarly gone and bought her some random bath tit.

Xmas this year she and BiL didn’t do gifts as they didn’t have the money allegedly. Not arsed as if have to fake liking some random stuff she had put no thought into but I thought it was very rude to stay at her in laws for Christmas and not even bring a gift for my poor hard working MIL who catered for everyone and even let them bring their stinky dog. SIL also let slip what she got her own sister for Xmas so clearly it was just one side of her family she couldn’t afford gifts for

• Wow
Reactions: 14
I didn't get a single present or card from my partner or kids. I should be used to this by now as it happens most birthdays and Christmas but it feels like an extra kick in the teeth at the moment. I've been really suffering with my mental health the last couple of months and though I know I'm not worthless, it certainly doesn't go any way to making me feel cared about.

I'm really dreading going back to work next week and being asked the usual "did you get anything nice" and hearing what efforts everyone else's families have made.
You know you're not worthless so go out and buy yourself what you want.
When work ask you "did you get anything nice?" You can say yes without going into specifics, because 'you're worth it'

• Heart
Reactions: 12
When work ask you "did you get anything nice?" You can say yes without going into specifics, because 'you're worth it'
This is my situation pretty much every year so I tend to go for a mix of

“the best thing I got was a break from work” followed by a loud laugh, or “yes thank you” going into no specifics whatsoever before immediately and enthusiastically turning the conversation onto them, “so come on, what did YOU get for Christmas?” Or another classic is to deflect “I can’t BELIEVE Christmas is over / it’s 2022/ Easter Eggs are already in the shops!”

Reactions: 6
I got a €200 One4All digital voucher from work. I don't know if they're just an Irish thing but for those of you are who aren't familiar, it's like a gift card that multiple retailers accept. Employers love handing them out in lieu of a cash bonus as you can give an employee up to a €500 One4All voucher tax free. I'm pretty sure employers can also get a discount on the vouchers if they are bought in bulk.

I got all excited because there's a pair of sherpa converse I had my eye on for a while and said I'd use my voucher to buy them but today I found out you can only spend up to €50 (item & shipping must all be under €50) in one go online due to anti-money laundering laws 😭 You can load your digital One4All onto an app to use in store but the app reviews are abysmal (seriously, ALL 1 star reviews) of people claiming that the credit goes missing/app won't load, so I can't risk that either.

I know I should be grateful, but I was really looking forward to buying those shoes lol.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
I got a €200 One4All digital voucher from work. I don't know if they're just an Irish thing but for those of you are who aren't familiar, it's like a gift card that multiple retailers accept. Employers love handing them out in lieu of a cash bonus as you can give an employee up to a €500 One4All voucher tax free. I'm pretty sure employers can also get a discount on the vouchers if they are bought in bulk.

I got all excited because there's a pair of sherpa converse I had my eye on for a while and said I'd use my voucher to buy them but today I found out you can only spend up to €50 (item & shipping must all be under €50) in one go online due to anti-money laundering laws 😭 You can load your digital One4All onto an app to use in store but the app reviews are abysmal (seriously, ALL 1 star reviews) of people claiming that the credit goes missing/app won't load, so I can't risk that either.

I know I should be grateful, but I was really looking forward to buying those shoes lol.
We have love2shop vouchers which sound the same, I got a £40 one from work. Must be different here as I used I think it was a £200 one maybe even a £300 one last year to put towards buying my iPhone.

Reactions: 1
My young girls are opposite in their tastes, one loves glittery sparkly things, the other loves Minecraft and star wars. A close relative bought them a gift each, plus one to share, all three are completely geared towards one child. A friend, did the same, but the opposite way. My star wars girl picked up the pack of sparkle nail polish and fluffy mermaid book and gave to her sister. I don't know why it annoys me so much, but I feel like if you know them well enough as both should, surely you'd know what their likes and dislikes are. Makes me question everything when people do this.

Anyone else get irrationally angry by presents off in laws?
My parents ask what my partner would like so always get appropriate gifts I know he would like
Pretty confident my in laws don’t ask as I always get gifts I would never use/like

it’s so frustrating as it’s a waste of money for them and I of course have to sit there with a fake smile saying how lovely gift is

this year I got a very expensive dressing gown (never wore one in my life) and (should I be offended?) anti aging face mask/creams 🙄
OMG I love dressing gowns. Wear them every evening relaxing in front of the TV. I'm sure if you wear it to chill out you'll enjoy feeling comfortable.

Reactions: 15
OMG I love dressing gowns. Wear them every evening relaxing in front of the TV. I'm sure if you wear it to chill out you'll enjoy feeling comfortable.
Me too. I have one my sister bought me over 20 years ago and it's still and white and fluffy as it was then. I use it daily.it's like being hugged.

Reactions: 9
Only small moan I got a recipe book, I already have hundreds of recipe books that I don't use, I'll just add to the pile 📚

Sorry to read about people's sadness caused by others' lack of consideration on a celebration day.

Reactions: 4
After spending a fair bit of money and thought on her, my MIL bought me and my partner a small box of cheap chocolate liqueurs.
I appreciate it’s not about being even stevens, but she’s bought us chocolates we both won’t eat (and she knows it).
She has always been funny about us. My partner likes to travel and is into the great outdoors, from way before I was on the scene. I wonder if she was hoping I’d tie him down and stop him from his big adventures (Himalaya base camps etc.) but I’ve always been supportive of his adventures and do like to join him too! She seems to punish us for him not being around and having this hobby. Always makes digs about it too. Ah well. You can’t please everyone can you?!
Chocolates went to neighbours who we know enjoy them. They didn’t mind!

• Sad
Reactions: 8

You can apply to turn your digital card into physical cards in €50 multiples. Not sure if you can do that & go to a shop in person to buy the converse & use it that way?

Reactions: 2
We have love2shop vouchers which sound the same, I got a £40 one from work. Must be different here as I used I think it was a £200 one maybe even a £300 one last year to put towards buying my iPhone.
Yes I had a £200 love to shop but the max redemption in curry's was £50 lovely chap on till let me buy 4 x £50 gift cards then used all 4 for my one purchase as no limit on their own gifts cards 👍

We spend Christmas with my father and siblings. My sister tries to get as much out of Christmas she can get for her money worth of what she spent and I should have learnt the past few christmases where she has said it out loud. I am stumped at what to buy her most years as she lives quite comfortably, is very particular in tastes and has everything. So this year I asked what she could do with, she wanted a Nike bag and some expensive foundation. I got her both and had the bag personalised, as well as a stoners hamper all handpicked. No thought went into my gift whatsoever. I got a £5 candle from candle from home bargains and a dreaded Dove set. The candle was a Christmassy cinnamon scent too and I can’t bare that smell. She bought cheap pointless toys for my children (miniature novelty megaphone was an example) and on the night of Christmas Eve announced she “forgot” to buy for one of them and asked me to tag one of my smaller gifts to them from her. She has cats that she insists everyone has to buy for too. I can’t stand her cats but obliged.
I know it’s not a case of giving to receive but a bit of thought would have been nice especially since she becomes quite vocal about her gifts not being to the standard she wants. She’s always incredibly selfish round Christmas time.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Not a moan really, I found it quite funny. Elderly relative bought us some fancy hand sanitiser except its not hand sanitiser.... its durex play lube. Got it in savers apparently. She has no idea 😂

Sad for those who have had tit gifting experiences, next year be petty.

• Haha
Reactions: 63
Didn't do Xmas presents this year or last. My Mum has been struggling with money since my Dad died and simply can't afford to buy gifts. And she gets upset if she can't reciprocate anything she receives. But I still get her things, I just give them over the course of the year instead.

We spend Christmas with my father and siblings. My sister tries to get as much out of Christmas she can get for her money worth of what she spent and I should have learnt the past few christmases where she has said it out loud. I am stumped at what to buy her most years as she lives quite comfortably, is very particular in tastes and has everything. So this year I asked what she could do with, she wanted a Nike bag and some expensive foundation. I got her both and had the bag personalised, as well as a stoners hamper all handpicked. No thought went into my gift whatsoever. I got a £5 candle from candle from home bargains and a dreaded Dove set. The candle was a Christmassy cinnamon scent too and I can’t bare that smell. She bought cheap pointless toys for my children (miniature novelty megaphone was an example) and on the night of Christmas Eve announced she “forgot” to buy for one of them and asked me to tag one of my smaller gifts to them from her. She has cats that she insists everyone has to buy for too. I can’t stand her cats but obliged.
I know it’s not a case of giving to receive but a bit of thought would have been nice especially since she becomes quite vocal about her gifts not being to the standard she wants. She’s always incredibly selfish round Christmas time.
Life's too short to waste time and money with people like that. Just say you're not doing presents next year and take the family on holiday instead. There's no law that says you have to buy gifts at Xmas!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Had my first Christmas with my boyfriend’s family (well we spent Boxing Day with them) and his mum gave me “pinch of nom” a slimming cookbook. She’s not shy in saying he needs to lose weight and I guess she thinks that since he’s been with me he’s put on weight (he has - but we’ve also had a pandemic!) I wasn’t that bothered but when I think about it it’s a bit harsh. He says he told her it was a bit rude and she ignored.

• Wow
thats exactly what I do. My mum gives awful gifts, so I often return them, get an M&S gift card and treat myself to a nice tea.

Had my first Christmas with my boyfriend’s family (well we spent Boxing Day with them) and his mum gave me “pinch of nom” a slimming cookbook. She’s not shy in saying he needs to lose weight and I guess she thinks that since he’s been with me he’s put on weight (he has - but we’ve also had a pandemic!) I wasn’t that bothered but when I think about it it’s a bit harsh. He says he told her it was a bit rude and she ignored.
my MIL does this to my husband, and I always call her out on it. We have been together for 12 years and the family don’t dare make comments on his weight as I’ll start like a Yorkshire terrier with rabies

• Haha
Reactions: 12
So when I buy for children, I tend to ask parents what they are into / what they would like, just to make sure I don’t buy any old crap or something they already have. With my son nobody asked us this year and he has ended up with the same Lego mario set 3 times. Once from us as he asked for it, once from my brother and once from my fellas family. Am I being unreasonable to expect them to ask me if he already has it? Or what we’d got him. I know we can return them and swap for a different set but it’s hassle that I cba for. I’d just have preferred communication!

Reactions: 11
So when I buy for children, I tend to ask parents what they are into / what they would like, just to make sure I don’t buy any old crap or something they already have. With my son nobody asked us this year and he has ended up with the same Lego mario set 3 times. Once from us as he asked for it, once from my brother and once from my fellas family. Am I being unreasonable to expect them to ask me if he already has it? Or what we’d got him. I know we can return them and swap for a different set but it’s hassle that I cba for. I’d just have preferred communication!
Yeah it's annoying. My toddler has ended up with 3 of the same things - not sure why people don't just ask.

I’m going back a long time but in my early 30’s I was seeing this really wealthy fella, I went all out at Christmas, really thoughtful gifts , I had to look pleased with a Bon marche patterned sweatshirt and 2 voltive cheap candles . Think he was shopping for his gran

• Wow
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.