Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So I want to say upfront that I know that this has been a very challenging/rubbish/upsetting etc. year for everyone and that we should always be grateful for presents people have bought us... However, hoping this thread can be a safe place to have a moan about presents we have received that are a little disappointing: perhaps they missed the mark, perhaps they were totally useless, or thoughtless, or were given for a dig or were clearly regifted etc.

Reactions: 39
I already know I’m gonna get something from body shop because my sister in law sells it. I have very sensitive skin, prone to breakouts and can’t really use anything from my normal routine as it’ll just cause issues with my skin. It’s taken me years to find my routine and get it right. She knows this. The whole family knows this. But I guarantee that’s what I’ll open on Christmas morning. I will of course thank her and then I will donate it to a women’s shelter or a charity.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 74
I dunno if this is mean of me but it irks me that I asked my SIL what she wants for Xmas and she said ‘money’...

Well so do I 😂 but I was brought up not to ask for it so I end up with random stuff which is very thoughtful / kind but maybe if everyone were honest enough to say they need the money this whole present buying thing (for adults) could stop and we’d all spare ourselves?!

• Heart
Reactions: 60
I'll wait and see what my MIL has bought me before contributing properly to this thread.

She has dreadful taste but still insists on asking if I liked it. She also knows full well I tend to be blunt about these things ...

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 25
I dunno if this is mean of me but it irks me that I asked my SIL what she wants for Xmas and she said ‘money’...

Well so do I 😂 but I was brought up not to ask for it so I end up with random stuff which is very thoughtful / kind but maybe if everyone were honest enough to say they need the money this whole present buying thing (for adults) could stop and we’d all spare ourselves?!
Spot on. After my Nephews and Nieces turned 18 I stopped buying presents unless it’s a big birthday. They’re adults with jobs so I don’t see the point anymore.

Reactions: 27
So my gripe is that last minute (for me - like to have my gifts bought early) I was thrown into having to buy gifts for my partner’s family partly because of his poor communication passing it on. One of them asked me what I’d like which was nice and great as we’ve only met once, and so I said a nice photo frame: something I’d like and would definitely use. Plus relatively non-expensive as you can spend within your means with that.

It seems that what I’ve been gifted is a photo canvas so they’ve chosen a printed photo. There are only 3 photos of me and my partner in existence - put on my FB but I’ve not tagged either of us because they’re selfies and neither of us look particularly great. So I now have a large print that I won’t want to put up: I don’t want to be ungrateful but they’ve paid more money than a photo frame for something I’m very unlikely to want in my home 😫

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 52
I’m intrigued as to what my partners brother has got me. It’s been chocolate since 2015 so seeing if it’ll be the 6th year in a row!

• Haha
Reactions: 17
So I want to say upfront that I know that this has been a very challenging/rubbish/upsetting etc. year for everyone and that we should always be grateful for presents people have bought us... However, hoping this thread can be a safe place to have a moan about presents we have received that are a little disappointing: perhaps they missed the mark, perhaps they were totally useless, or thoughtless, or were given for a dig or were clearly regifted etc.
I am glad you started this thread. We all need that outlet for the ghastly presents we have received. 🤣🤣

I do say to certain family members not to buy me presents. I have everything I need here and if there is something I particularly want, I will buy it myself.

You always get that one person who pays no heed to what you’ve said and will buy something regardless.

Reactions: 15
I have posted many times on tattle about my HATRED for dove sets. I hate them. They're boring. They're a clear indication of "I dont know you at all but I had to get you a gift". I just detest them so much. Also i am allergic to nuts. This is all pertinent information.
Now, my brother in law... who I have known for over 5 years. Last year got me a bleeping PISTACHIO DOVE SET!! I wanted to throw it at him!!!

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 117
My nana (old but was all there with her lemon drops at the time) bought my young child (2-3yr old at the time) a pink little miss naughty dressing gown ... a tatty teddy lunch bag and a frilly cardigan. That child is a boy 🤨 she bought me and my mum a reed diffuser each

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 42
I know somebody will buy me something to wear. They always do, despite me saying every year to everyone please do not get me any clothes, thank you. Then I get moaned at for not wearing what I've been given. Well, sorry, you were told not to!

Reactions: 34
I have posted many times on tattle about my HATRED for dove sets. I hate them. They're boring. They're a clear indication of "I dont know you at all but I had to get you a gift". I just detest them so much. Also i am allergic to nuts. This is all pertinent information.
Now, my brother in law... who I have known for over 5 years. Last year got me a bleeping PISTACHIO DOVE SET!! I wanted to throw it at him!!!
I get an Impulse set every year from my partners mum. Haven’t used the stuff since I was a teenager 😅

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 48
A couple of years ago my auntie bought my 6 year old son a 'my first christmas' musical book 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 33
The women’s version of a man getting a Lynx set 🤣🤣

Last years secret Santa gave me not one, but two!!!! expired nail polishes!! Waaay past the point of even saving or attempting to 😂😫 thought that counts though... right? 🤷🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
A friend I am trying to distance myself from surprised us with some gifts over the weekend. She got our child a toy from a TV show that she doesnt watch and knows she doesnt watch because we have been quite vocal about it. She also got her a toy that isnt suitable for her age due to the small parts 🙄 wish she hadn't bothered coz I had to spend my day off running round trying to find them presents 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I don't kow why people bother wasting money on these last minute/random gifts when almost every adult will appreciate a gift certificate or a book token or something they can pick and choose themselves. 😂

I don't mind regifting or receiving something from a friend that is nice but not loved by them. However I have once received a gigantic pink rubber that said "for really big mistakes" on it and I wasn't sure what to make of that haha. I still have it and haven't a clue what to do with it. Maybe I should cut it down to smaller sizes and use it on regular mistakes. :rolleyes:

52-c15db4fc8c7f.__CR529,0,1109,686_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 50
Bless my aunt who lives far from me for sending me a gift. I do really appreciate it, but I just dont like what she got me.
She got a xiaomi smart band 5...
I workout on a daily basis, so yeah, it's a useful gift. The point is the quality. It super cheap and doesnt track the calories/ the steps correctly. It's so imprecise.
Compared to an Apple Watch, it cannot even be used to answer calls nor to reply to messages. It's pointless.

Again, I do appreciate the thought behind it, but I'd rather you gave me the money instead of wasting it to buy a cheap smart watch that doesn't do its job and that I won't probably use ever again.

Reactions: 11
I got pressured into Secret Santa at work last year by my boss as there was a real lack of people within our team taking part. At my previous company I took part in SS every year but found I put in lots of thought and effory to my gifts while I always received absolutely disappointing and tit gifts - so decided I wouldn't be doing it at this company.

Anyway got pressured into taking part. On the day of the exchange the organiser was off sick, I also got a message saying my pressie would be late but dont worry, so I knew she was my santa. Back to work in Jan I thought she'd just leave it on my desk at some point - I never ever received the gift!

Worst still, our CEO went out and got a small gift anyway (wine or chocolate) for people who hadnt taken part as he wanted everyone to have something (its small company). Literally ended up being the only person with nothing 😂

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 55
I'll wait and see what my MIL has bought me before contributing properly to this thread.

She has dreadful taste but still insists on asking if I liked it. She also knows full well I tend to be blunt about these things ...
Same 😂 my MIL is crap at buying presents. She bought my son who is 10 months age 18 to 36 months Christmas pjs 😂 and last year she got me size XS pjs while I was 8 months pregnant and looked like I was about to burst

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
I'm always a bit wary of opening presents from my girlfriend. Subtlety isn't her finest strongpoint, but then again I've had previous g/fs who have shown an equal lack of discretion with their present giving. (One g/f's present was a vibrator! Not the ideal thing to open in front of the family)

The three presents my g/f gave me before I flew out, are probably make-up/perfume related, or perhaps some nice bling I've hinted at previously. But I know she likes to throw in a "prank gift" such is her "edgy" humour.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.