Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mum for years has always bought me things in a bigger size than I am, and always remarks “oh are you still a size…” when I say it’s the wrong size. This year I specifically asked for a pair of dungarees and told her the size, which she did get and they fit fine. She then bought me a jumper in the same size, despite the fact I’m not the same size on top as I am on bottom AND to make it worse it’s oversized so it absolutely drowns me 🙈 my hands don’t even come out the sleeves! Normally I wouldn’t say anything and would just leave it but it was really expensive so I’ve asked her how to go about exchanging it for a smaller size. But I just really wish she would stop assuming my size and just ask me. Or read the size guide 😂 the model on the site is 5inches taller than me wearing the same size and even her sleeves are rolled up a little!

Reactions: 4
My mum for years has always bought me things in a bigger size than I am, and always remarks “oh are you still a size…” when I say it’s the wrong size. This year I specifically asked for a pair of dungarees and told her the size, which she did get and they fit fine. She then bought me a jumper in the same size, despite the fact I’m not the same size on top as I am on bottom AND to make it worse it’s oversized so it absolutely drowns me 🙈 my hands don’t even come out the sleeves! Normally I wouldn’t say anything and would just leave it but it was really expensive so I’ve asked her how to go about exchanging it for a smaller size. But I just really wish she would stop assuming my size and just ask me. Or read the size guide 😂 the model on the site is 5inches taller than me wearing the same size and even her sleeves are rolled up a little!
Could you just ask your Mum for the voucher/s for the store in future? or say you'll get it then ask for a bank transfer etc

This wasn't a bad Christmas present but it really made me laugh. My partner has a habit of misremembering things or inventing things entirely. On Christmas day I opened a gift from him and it was a pair of stripey bee socks which were quite nice and I wouldnt have questioned why he'd bought them for me. He then went on to say he got them as he remembered me saying I had some I loved as a child. For a moment I was confused and then realised what he was actually remembering was the bee tights scene in the movie Me Before You 😂 he felt a right head.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 52
This wasn't a bad Christmas present but it really made me laugh. My partner has a habit of misremembering things or inventing things entirely. On Christmas day I opened a gift from him and it was a pair of stripey bee socks which were quite nice and I wouldnt have questioned why he'd bought them for me. He then went on to say he got them as he remembered me saying I had some I loved as a child. For a moment I was confused and then realised what he was actually remembering was the bee tights scene in the movie Me Before You 😂 he felt a right head.
haha stop it halfway through reading this I thought ‘isn’t this what happen in Me before you’ 😂😂 kinda sweet though 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Bless him my dad is exactly like this! Comes out with some random stuff! Hell forget whole conversations entirely or as you say complelty make things up 😂

Reactions: 1
Anyone else get irrationally angry by presents off in laws?
My parents ask what my partner would like so always get appropriate gifts I know he would like
Pretty confident my in laws don’t ask as I always get gifts I would never use/like

it’s so frustrating as it’s a waste of money for them and I of course have to sit there with a fake smile saying how lovely gift is

this year I got a very expensive dressing gown (never wore one in my life) and (should I be offended?) anti aging face mask/creams 🙄

Reactions: 10
As I was reading this I thought it was like Me Before you 🤣

Anyone else get irrationally angry by presents off in laws?
My parents ask what my partner would like so always get appropriate gifts I know he would like
Pretty confident my in laws don’t ask as I always get gifts I would never use/like

it’s so frustrating as it’s a waste of money for them and I of course have to sit there with a fake smile saying how lovely gift is

this year I got a very expensive dressing gown (never wore one in my life) and (should I offended?) anti aging face mask/creams 🙄
Perhaps your partner isn’t letting them know what you’d like? You need to prime him next year!

Not sure if this is the right thread as we haven’t received gifts but I need to rant!
So we took our family away for Xmas, I hate it due to childhood etc but don’t like to spoil for the family so we go away.
I organised with 4 sets of grandparents what date we would all see each other & exchange gifts etc.
my parents & FIL all went smoothly, plans stayed the same.
Mil decided on the day that she couldn’t come, she was having the youngest grandchild for the day instead. This child is 4 & since it came along she has prioritised all her time for said child. Our children are no longer high priority.

So she decided she wasn’t coming & that was that. husband didn’t say much back but did say it wasn’t ok- since then he has ignored her.
She turned up the day after which said child & said I’m just calling for 5 to give you the gifts (she left them in car) I said well im sorry but they are in the shower & husband is out. I didn’t want them to get hyper at 7pm when I was solo parenting the night before we go away. She left with the gifts still in her car.
Husband & I had also decided that gifts mean nothing without time so if she can’t see them then don’t gift them. She left after 5 mins.

Xmas eve- today we haven’t had a single call/text she hasn’t spoken to her grandkids once.
I am absolutely fuming
Husband has said he will just ignore her & if she turns up again (she tends to go to his work as it’s near her house) he will say he’s not taking the gifts she can give them next time they stay with her.
It’s ruining my days as it’s all I think about 😡

• Sad
Reactions: 6
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! I love this

Not sure if this is the right thread as we haven’t received gifts but I need to rant!
So we took our family away for Xmas, I hate it due to childhood etc but don’t like to spoil for the family so we go away.
I organised with 4 sets of grandparents what date we would all see each other & exchange gifts etc.
Mil decided on the day that she couldn’t come, she was having the youngest grandchild for the day instead. This child is 4 & since it came along she has prioritised all her time for said child. Our children are no longer high priority.

So she decided she wasn’t coming & that was that. husband didn’t say much back but did say it wasn’t ok- since then he has ignored her.
She turned up the day after which said child & said I’m just calling for 5 to give you the gifts (she left them in car) I said well im sorry but they are in the shower & husband is out. I didn’t want them to get hyper at 7pm when I was solo parenting the night before we go away. She left with the gifts still in her car.
Husband & I had also decided that gifts mean nothing without time so if she can’t see them then don’t gift them. She left after 5 mins.

Xmas eve- today we haven’t had a single call/text she hasn’t spoken to her grandkids once.
I am absolutely fuming
Husband has said he will just ignore her & if she turns up again (she tends to go to his work as it’s near her house) he will say he’s not taking the gifts she can give them next time they stay with her.
It’s clearly difficult for you as she’s your MIL so it’s more your husband’s responsibility to speak to her about this, but it’s obvious there is more going on in this scenario than her behaviour at Christmas.

If she turned up to see them and you sent her away because it didn’t suit you at that time, perhaps she’s got upset about that and is waiting for you to reach out. Instead of communicating with her, your husband has decided to ignore her but you’re complaining about her ignoring you and the kids. Seems a bit like there is fault on both sides.

Perhaps you just need a reset on the relationship. Explain what your issues are to clear the air - it sounds like her favouritism of the other grandchild is bothering you (as well it might) but you can switch the conversation to explain that your kids would love more time with her rather than saying she spends too much time with the other child.

Family dynamics are always a challenge but I think you have to be clear with someone what your problem is and allow them the opportunity to fix it before you cut ties. If she then does nothing to change you‘ve done what you can and you can take a step back without any guilt. Good luck resolving things.

• Heart
Reactions: 15

I am absolutely fuming
Sorry to hear this, maybe one for the mother in law thread

It’s clearly difficult for you as she’s your MIL so it’s more your husband’s responsibility to speak to her about this, but it’s obvious there is more going on in this scenario than her behaviour at Christmas.

If she turned up to see them and you sent her away because it didn’t suit you at that time, perhaps she’s got upset about that and is waiting for you to reach out. Instead of communicating with her, your husband has decided to ignore her but you’re complaining about her ignoring you and the kids. Seems a bit like there is fault on both sides.

Perhaps you just need a reset on the relationship. Explain what your issues are to clear the air - it sounds like her favouritism of the other grandchild is bothering you (as well it might) but you can switch the conversation to explain that your kids would love more time with her rather than saying she spends too much time with the other child.

Family dynamics are always a challenge but I think you have to be clear with someone what your problem is and allow them the opportunity to fix it before you cut ties. If she then does nothing to change you‘ve done what you can and you can take a step back without any guilt. Good luck resolving things.
Great advice thank you!
soemtimes putting pen to paper (per sa) helps.

Yes it’s on going and it was going to come to a head at Xmas as I think we placed our cards on it happening.

I will take on board your advice & see how I can direct husband to get things moving!

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.