Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So happy I found this thread! I read through it the other night absolutely howling :ROFLMAO:

Can we start a petition to ban gift sets under a tenner? Because they are absolute TAT! I actually don’t mind dove shower gel but I really don’t need the matching lip balm, body lotion, hand lotion, face cream and every other product that they retail.

My husband’s mother one year bought me about £50 worth of Christmas scented wax melts from one of those Facebook sellers. I hate most Christmas scents anyway but what good is that on Christmas Day? You won’t be burning those in March and by next Christmas they’ve gone off :rolleyes:. Same woman also bought me a Christmas themed gravy boat another year whilst spending about £300 on my husband :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I can't remember if I posted on here a while back but my eldest son bought it up again and was laughing so thought I'd share. The worst present my middle son ever received was a paw patrol t-shirt from my MIL. Too small and 2 years after he liked paw patrol. It was from pep and co and the picture was off centre and crooked. Think a 3 year old trying to stick a sticker on something. Exactly like that. That's all she got him. He would have been better off with a dove gift set, least it would have been used 😆

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Keep getting harassed by my Mum on what to buy my Partner for Christmas
She’s already bought him a expensive bottle of alcohol he likes plus favourite chocolate
This is in addition to our ‘couple’ present of a meal out and a Kitchen gadget I asked for
She’s still insisting he needs more?!

How do you reason with this 🤣 find it so frustrating this need people have to gift anything so people have something to open?
I’ve tried explaining she’s got more than enough but fallen on deaf ears

Reactions: 8
So happy I found this thread! I read through it the other night absolutely howling :ROFLMAO:

Can we start a petition to ban gift sets under a tenner? Because they are absolute TAT! I actually don’t mind dove shower gel but I really don’t need the matching lip balm, body lotion, hand lotion, face cream and every other product that they retail.

My husband’s mother one year bought me about £50 worth of Christmas scented wax melts from one of those Facebook sellers. I hate most Christmas scents anyway but what good is that on Christmas Day? You won’t be burning those in March and by next Christmas they’ve gone off :rolleyes:. Same woman also bought me a Christmas themed gravy boat another year whilst spending about £300 on my husband :ROFLMAO:
🤣🤣🤣 My Mother in law bought me a Dove advent calendar a few years ago. This was given to me on Xmas Day. Are our MILs the same person? They certainly sound it 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 9
🤣🤣🤣 My Mother in law bought me a Dove advent calendar a few years ago. This was given to me on Xmas Day. Are our MILs the same person? They certainly sound it 🤣🤣🤣
A half price dove advent calendar for Christmas, we definitely have the same MIL :ROFLMAO:. Annoyingly the year before I bought her a Jeffrey Starr eye palette because she loves her bright eyeshadows. What a way to repay me:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 3
Not sure if there were a lot of 3 for the price of 2 offers on a particular perfume one year or whether there was some regifting going on but I managed to get the exact same perfume from my partners mum and from my partners sister one Christmas. The next Christmas my partners mum give me the same perfume again. I'm still working through the bottles. Awaiting Christmas to see if it pops up once more.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
No no no no no
Is there a woman alive that actually wants these kind of sets? The sole customer base must be teenage boyfriends, brothers or brother in laws. We all know no dad does xmas shopping, surely no partner/husband would buy one and if all women agree they’re crap we can’t be buying them for each other?

I don’t think I’d mind a Dove set if it’s just shower gel, but I don’t need a hand cream, foot cream and body butter that still has me smelling of gingerbread in February.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm almost finished with my Christmas shopping 🛍 🤗 I love being organised early because it calms my mind and hopefully leaves time to just enjoy the season.

I'm looking forward to lazy days, chilling and reading just as much as meeting up with family and friends. What do you guys do with those little pockets of free time over the holidays?

• Heart
Reactions: 6
One year my dad came round and dropped me a xmas card off with £150 inside, I was about 14/15. I only became aware of this AFTER my mother took the card off my dad, looted it and went and got me some cheap horrible carpet in my box bedroom which couldnt have cost more then £100. She rang me up giddy about it and to let me know that she had 'put halves so that's all you've got for Christmas'. Baring in mind we moved out a few months later. She did it to be nasty and steal some of my Christmas money. She knew I was gonna be devastated. witch.

• Sad
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 42
For me it's the classic Gift Set Of Items To Do With Something They Think You're Into.

Catch me doing basic garden upkeep once - that's me getting gift sets of gardening gloves, "gardeners soap", flimsy little trowels, seeds that'll never germinate and some kind of impractical plant labels for the next 10 years.

Enjoy the work of a public figure? Brace yourself for annuals, unauthorised biographies, fuckin... socks with them on it, whatever old toot with the person you like on it. I'm not a massive fan or 14 years old, let me have a passing admiration for a singer in peace!

Like a nice spicy sauce sometimes? Get ready to receive gift sets of 10 wee bottles of cheap sub-par hot sauce with hilarious stickers/ names for the rest of eternity.

Worst is saying thank you for a gift once and then receiving it in various forms forever after - my brother has been giving me stuff from one of the Body Shop ranges for like a decade now and I never get through it. I've never bought it for myself or expressed an interest in it. Then other people see you have it or heard you like it and you get more!

MIL saw me have some popcorn once and then gave me a microwave popcorn burner maker, 10 jars of popcorn flavourings, and literally 20kg of popcorn kernels. If I'd eaten popcorn every day it would have taken me 5 years to get through it all. Absolute madness.

If you play an instrument, play a sport, or have a hobby of any sort you'll definitely be gifted a bunch of tacky useless crap to do with that. I'd definitely rather be gifted something mundane & useful and perhaps of a higher quality than I'd have bought for myself than a gift set of poor quality novelty items.

When father's day comes and the shops are full of golf toot, beer drinking nonsense, football crap, etc I feel for the men who then have to feign interest in these gifts, maybe even use them out of obligation for a bit, then dispose of them.
Someone who is actually into golf definitely doesn't need a little set of golf-related stuff from Home Bargains.

In conclusion: save your money and don't give me a damn thing - I'm obviously an ungrateful ole miserybollocks who doesn't deserve it 😂
I knit, crochet, sew and embroider.

Why, when you see me wearing fine lace wool shawls, wool Fair Isle gloves etc, would you think I'd be delighted with an acrylic scarf and gloves set from Asda because "you like knitted stuff"?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I knit, crochet, sew and embroider.

Why, when you see me wearing fine lace wool shawls, wool Fair Isle gloves etc, would you think I'd be delighted with an acrylic scarf and gloves set from Asda because "you like knitted stuff"?
Because I think real wool is scratchy 😆

Reactions: 1
Dinner with lucky dip Secret Santa gifts value £10......i got drawer liners...😭

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.