Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sounds exactly like my mum. We agreed this year just to go out for a nice meal over the festive period instead of wasting money. Next time I see her โ€˜I went to such and such a place and got you a few bits for Christmasโ€™ ๐Ÿ™„ why?!
Some people canโ€™t help themselves. Iโ€™m a bit like this. I told Mr Lolz no presents but still got him something. Only because I saw it and knew he would like it, maybe Iโ€™ll just gove it to him because I know heโ€™ll be annoyed I got something ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Sounds exactly like my mum. We agreed this year just to go out for a nice meal over the festive period instead of wasting money. Next time I see her โ€˜I went to such and such a place and got you a few bits for Christmasโ€™ ๐Ÿ™„ why?!
Ohhh, bet so many people are experiencing the same! To be honest a hot dinner and a box of my fav chocs would do me on Christmas Day! X

Reactions: 10
"I didn't know what to get you, so I got you this... "
I really hate this because it sounds a lot like "you now have to dispose of this item and feel a bit icky about it" to me.

If you don't know someone well enough to choose them something with thought and care, do consider whether you should be gifting them anything at all?
Take em out for lunch in the new year or something, don't give them the sad Radox gift set.

Absolutely unforgivable to hear from someone who should know what to get for the recipient though.
I ask for no gifts from anyone these days, but my MIL used to give me multiple strange/ unusable/ unsuitable gifts every time because she didn't know what to get and sometimes still does and honestly (and accepting of how ungrateful I sound), it feels weird, it's performative, and it's a chore to get rid of.

Please just cut me out of it and give it straight to the PTA/ Brownies tombola ๐Ÿ‘

• Heart
Reactions: 19
"I didn't know what to get you, so I got you this... "
I really hate this because it sounds a lot like "you now have to dispose of this item and feel a bit icky about it" to me.

If you don't know someone well enough to choose them something with thought and care, do consider whether you should be gifting them anything at all?
Take em out for lunch in the new year or something, don't give them the sad Radox gift set.

Absolutely unforgivable to hear from someone who should know what to get for the recipient though.
I ask for no gifts from anyone these days, but my MIL used to give me multiple strange/ unusable/ unsuitable gifts every time because she didn't know what to get and sometimes still does and honestly (and accepting of how ungrateful I sound), it feels weird, it's performative, and it's a chore to get rid of.

Please just cut me out of it and give it straight to the PTA/ Brownies tombola ๐Ÿ‘
EXACTLY WHAT YOU HAVE JUST SAID RIGHT THERE ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ

• Heart
Reactions: 5
The truth in this ๐Ÿ˜… literally gave a few of last years to the school tombola the other day

I donโ€™t mind a regift but for my very summery birthday I got a Xmas themed smellies set ๐Ÿ˜‚ at least be subtle about it ๐Ÿคฃ

• Haha
Reactions: 14
So if Santa is reading this we don't want to find any of the following in our stocking....

Dove sets
Baylis & Harding sets
Molton Brown
Lynx

anything else?

• Haha
Reactions: 12
So if Santa is reading this we don't want to find any of the following in our stocking....

Dove sets
Baylis & Harding sets
Molton Brown
Lynx

anything else?
For me it's the classic Gift Set Of Items To Do With Something They Think You're Into.

Catch me doing basic garden upkeep once - that's me getting gift sets of gardening gloves, "gardeners soap", flimsy little trowels, seeds that'll never germinate and some kind of impractical plant labels for the next 10 years.

Enjoy the work of a public figure? Brace yourself for annuals, unauthorised biographies, fuckin... socks with them on it, whatever old toot with the person you like on it. I'm not a massive fan or 14 years old, let me have a passing admiration for a singer in peace!

Like a nice spicy sauce sometimes? Get ready to receive gift sets of 10 wee bottles of cheap sub-par hot sauce with hilarious stickers/ names for the rest of eternity.

Worst is saying thank you for a gift once and then receiving it in various forms forever after - my brother has been giving me stuff from one of the Body Shop ranges for like a decade now and I never get through it. I've never bought it for myself or expressed an interest in it. Then other people see you have it or heard you like it and you get more!

MIL saw me have some popcorn once and then gave me a microwave popcorn burner maker, 10 jars of popcorn flavourings, and literally 20kg of popcorn kernels. If I'd eaten popcorn every day it would have taken me 5 years to get through it all. Absolute madness.

If you play an instrument, play a sport, or have a hobby of any sort you'll definitely be gifted a bunch of tacky useless crap to do with that. I'd definitely rather be gifted something mundane & useful and perhaps of a higher quality than I'd have bought for myself than a gift set of poor quality novelty items.

When father's day comes and the shops are full of golf toot, beer drinking nonsense, football crap, etc I feel for the men who then have to feign interest in these gifts, maybe even use them out of obligation for a bit, then dispose of them.
Someone who is actually into golf definitely doesn't need a little set of golf-related stuff from Home Bargains.

In conclusion: save your money and don't give me a damn thing - I'm obviously an ungrateful ole miserybollocks who doesn't deserve it ๐Ÿ˜‚

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 49
The truth in this ๐Ÿ˜… literally gave a few of last years to the school tombola the other day

I donโ€™t mind a regift but for my very summery birthday I got a Xmas themed smellies set ๐Ÿ˜‚ at least be subtle about it ๐Ÿคฃ
I don't mind a re-gift but please make it less obvious by removing the original gift tag from the donor to you first!
The only exception I make are regifts from my MIL, I give those to my local charity shop. MIL has a cupboard full of items that she's squirelled away for years and I know exactly which items came from which family member.

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.