Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What do you get a married on family member in his late 60's that you immensely dislike. I don't want to spend too much but still want it to look like I was thoughtful :LOL:
If you immensely dislike him, why bother? But if you really must, how about his favourite tipple.

Reactions: 4
The Christmas present wtf's have already started here. In-laws won't be with us so have given us presents now....I was given 2 pairs of Snag tights, which is a little random but I do really like their tights and they were the right size so bonus. Husband on the other hand got a selection of whisky miniatures, they look great but he doesn't ever drink so they're utterly pointless. It's not like they don't know he doesn't drink as they offer every time we're over for a meal and he turns it down. I'll probably end up drinking them in a hot toddy when I've got a cold (which is a bit of a waste really for nice whisky!).
The Whiskey is clearly a selfish gift. They want it offered next time they visit :LOL: :LOL:

If you immensely dislike him, why bother? But if you really must, how about his favourite tipple.
The absolute scenes if I left him out :LOL: I would do if it was from my side of the family but I don't want Mr Lolz getting aggro from his family

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Oh when I opened this I thought it was going to be about affording things for people!

Right, my mother always buys me tat. I am trying to downsize, I don't want loads of trinkets which cost a sizeable amount whereas a bottle of olive oil or cotton wool pads would be far more useful, though less exciting for her to buy.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Oh when I opened this I thought it was going to be about affording things for people!

Right, my mother always buys me tat. I am trying to downsize, I don't want loads of trinkets which cost a sizeable amount whereas a bottle of olive oil or cotton wool pads would be far more useful, though less exciting for her to buy.
I feel you on this! I love my mum and most of the time she's grand with presents but the last few years have definitely been more about what she's wanted me to have rather than what I want / need. I asked for some Next vouchers to go toward some curtains I want for the living room and she's refusing as "I don't like buying vouchers. However I did see this wonderful dress that would suit you".

I also asked for some Body Shop ginger shampoo as I love it but it costs a ton now. Her response "I'm not buying my daughter shampoo as a Christmas gift. That's groceries, not gifts."

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 9
I feel you on this! I love my mum and most of the time she's grand with presents but the last few years have definitely been more about what she's wanted me to have rather than what I want / need. I asked for some Next vouchers to go toward some curtains I want for the living room and she's refusing as "I don't like buying vouchers. However I did see this wonderful dress that would suit you".

I also asked for some Body Shop ginger shampoo as I love it but it costs a ton now. Her response "I'm not buying my daughter shampoo as a Christmas gift. That's groceries, not gifts."
Is the dress from next? Tell her that sounds nice but ask for a gift receipt in case it doesn’t fit and then take it back and use it towards the curtains 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 13
Is the dress from next? Tell her that sounds nice but ask for a gift receipt in case it doesn’t fit and then take it back and use it towards the curtains 😄
Next are even better than that! They use some barcode wizardry that scans the barcode and tells you when it was bought (if it was bought five finger discount) and the price paid so you can return for exchange/voucher with no receipt!

when my LO was born we got lots of dupes and no gift receipts and next were brilliant for returning

Reactions: 5

Actually I thought after I posted my earlier message that I was going to ask my mother for a light up reindeer for Xmas

If that's not tat I don't know what is. So that would be a win-win, she gets her tat, and I'd be in awe at a sparkly reindeer

• Haha
What do you get a married on family member in his late 60's that you immensely dislike. I don't want to spend too much but still want it to look like I was thoughtful :LOL:
Sponsor a goat for a family in Africa and give him the sponsorship pack when it arrives.

(It's a very altruistic present so he or no one can be upset with you!)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
  • Haha
Reactions: 10
MrB idly surfing on the well known auction site has asked if I would like a new clothes airer rack for xmas. No was met with an eyebrow raise, but an improvement on my last years xmas gift. He's hidden it so well he still hasn't found it.

• Haha
Reactions: 20
MrB idly surfing on the well known auction site has asked if I would like a new clothes airer rack for xmas. No was met with an eyebrow raise, but an improvement on my last years xmas gift. He's hidden it so well he still hasn't found it.
What do you get him? New iron i hope

• Haha
Reactions: 8
A pair of Trickers shoes he's had his eye on but wouldn't buy. Over 500 quids worth. Might splash out on a pair of flip flops from the £ shop this year.

I love this thread! The one thing I hate about Christmas is just how much money people waste on pointless gifts… My oh mother bought him some gardening bits last year, I was cleaning and sorting through the junk in the spare room the other week and found the presents still in the gift bag all unopened underneath all the crap we had squashed in a corner. Last week I over heard on their weekly FaceTime that she’s already “got a few things” for this year…. Please no… I regifted most of my things to my grandmother (she’s actually got a lot of use out of them, otherwise I wouldn’t have just regifted for the sake of it). I love the idea of secret Santa as it takes the stress out of buying loads of different things for multiple people and saves on the much needed £££‘s right now!

Reactions: 9
I love this thread! The one thing I hate about Christmas is just how much money people waste on pointless gifts… My oh mother bought him some gardening bits last year, I was cleaning and sorting through the junk in the spare room the other week and found the presents still in the gift bag all unopened underneath all the crap we had squashed in a corner. Last week I over heard on their weekly FaceTime that she’s already “got a few things” for this year…. Please no… I regifted most of my things to my grandmother (she’s actually got a lot of use out of them, otherwise I wouldn’t have just regifted for the sake of it). I love the idea of secret Santa as it takes the stress out of buying loads of different things for multiple people and saves on the much needed £££‘s right now!
Sounds exactly like my mum. We agreed this year just to go out for a nice meal over the festive period instead of wasting money. Next time I see her ‘I went to such and such a place and got you a few bits for Christmas’ 🙄 why?!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
In laws usually get me at least 2 dove sets for Christmas and then again for my birthday 🤣 containing the same products just in a different shaped box. At least I hardly ever have to buy shower gel 🤷🏼‍♀️🤣
I can’t abide the fragrance of Dove, it always smells like sick to me…..

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.