Christmas present moans

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
This year from my partners Nan we got pretty rubbish gifts but they made us laugh. My partner got a single can of Lynx Africa and I got, wait for it... a bath set which went out in date in 2018! Ha ha

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 10
This year from my partners Nan we got pretty rubbish gifts but they made us laugh. My partner got a single can of Lynx Africa and I got, wait for it... a bath set which went out in date in 2018! Ha ha
Not even the fabled Lynx giftset. Brutal.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
2 months and 10 days until we get to share the fabulous 400 Bayliss sets we received people 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 51
It was my birthday a few weeks ago and my sister got me 3 bathbombs (which I wanted) but also 2 bath and body sets for children. Like the cut price boxes tat you get in Aldi, Lidl, B&M. I’m a 31 year old woman.
I dread what she’s going to get me for Christmas.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
I get a soap and glory set pretty much every year and I am almost certain it’s a regift. I think you can always tell when you have been regifted. I would honestly rather receive nothing. Or have the gift of someones time, a cuppa and a catch up.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
My MIL used to wrap up freebies she got from work. Like stress balls and pens with various companies on them and we’d all be sat around opening them like total idiots, so uncomfortable because what do you say to a medical company stress ball ??? These were meant as actual presents too not even a joke. Luckily she retired so no longer has access to the freebie tat. She’s also given me a box of tissues wrapped before and a single novelty printed toilet roll…

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 37
I get a soap and glory set pretty much every year and I am almost certain it’s a regift. I think you can always tell when you have been regifted. I would honestly rather receive nothing. Or have the gift of someones time, a cuppa and a catch up.
My birthday is a couple of weeks after Xmas and the amount of blatant regifts I get is crazy. Like you said, I really would rather receive nothing 🙄

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
A family member gave me a bag of gifts on my birthday, all of it he didn't buy, he regifted it to me. They didn't tell me, I knew as he had as one of the items was quite tatty!
It really upset me as I felt like they just went through their cupboards and thought this will do. So I totally understand where you are coming from.
I get the sentiment a gift is a gift and he may of thought I'd of liked the items more but it just seems a bit impersonal

I get the sentiment a gift is a gift
I find this difficult because I appreciate someone giving me something but when no thought has gone into it and I don’t like it, I’m stuck with something. And I hate throwing things out and I feel terrible if someone has gifted me something and I get rid of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
The fifth year of our relationship, my (now) MiL bought me a gift (her first). It was a £2.50 box of Asda biscuits for cheese (I am lactose intolerant). The OH got an expensive winter coat. I took great delight when we got home in crumbling the biscuits on to the bird table and watching the fat pigeons tuck in….

• Haha
Reactions: 29
I find this difficult because I appreciate someone giving me something but when no thought has gone into it and I don’t like it, I’m stuck with something. And I hate throwing things out and I feel terrible if someone has gifted me something and I get rid of it.
Agree I hate when people buy gifts for sake of gifts

my mother in law always buys me perfume for birthdays/Christmas which I end up giving away to friends/family as I find most perfume really irritating on my skin and just say I got it for Christmas it’s not suitable for me do you want it?
I’d never dream of re wrapping to re gift, even though it’s expensive perfume I’d rather buy someone a less expensive gift but know it’s something they’ll love

Reactions: 8
My OH and I buy each other something to read, something to wear, something to eat and something to share. I don’t really care if I don’t get anything else. In our poorest year - newly married, new mortgage, lost my job in December - I got a copy of Private Eye, some fluffy bed socks like Pandas (my fave bear!) a big bag of maltesers and a bag of logs for the fire. We woke up to snow, stayed in bed almost all day and had one of our best days ever. I won’t mention the Autumn baby. He’s 29 now…..

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 64
My OH and I buy each other something to read, something to wear, something to eat and something to share. I don’t really care if I don’t get anything else. In our poorest year - newly married, new mortgage, lost my job in December - I got a copy of Private Eye, some fluffy bed socks like Pandas (my fave bear!) a big bag of maltesers and a bag of logs for the fire. We woke up to snow, stayed in bed almost all day and had one of our best days ever. I won’t mention the Autumn baby. He’s 29 now…..
I love this idea.

My MIL used to wrap up freebies she got from work. Like stress balls and pens with various companies on them and we’d all be sat around opening them like total idiots, so uncomfortable because what do you say to a medical company stress ball ??? These were meant as actual presents too not even a joke. Luckily she retired so no longer has access to the freebie tat. She’s also given me a box of tissues wrapped before and a single novelty printed toilet roll…
What do you get her in return?
How would she react if you gave her a toilet roll?
Wow.

The fifth year of our relationship, my (now) MiL bought me a gift (her first). It was a £2.50 box of Asda biscuits for cheese (I am lactose intolerant). The OH got an expensive winter coat. I took great delight when we got home in crumbling the biscuits on to the bird table and watching the fat pigeons tuck in….
She showed you exactly what she thought of you ☹
So rude.

Reactions: 4
What do you get her in return?
How would she react if you gave her a toilet roll?
Wow.
We always used to put loads of thought into her gifts but now she spends Christmas abroad because she said she couldn’t be “bothered with all the faff”. So she literally just Fs off for the whole winter and we’re lucky if we get a Christmas text 😂 At least I don’t have to pretend to like the awful gifts anymore and we don’t have to buy her anything. Win win!

It was my birthday in September. My aunt handed me a gift bag, inside the bag was a relatively nice black tote bag.

At the bottom of the gift bag was a card which said “sorry you’re leaving” and signed by her ex co workers. 😂

I didn’t really mind. Still can’t top the poncho I got when I asked for a MAC lipstick.

• Haha
Reactions: 23
It was my birthday in September. My aunt handed me a gift bag, inside the bag was a relatively nice black tote bag.

At the bottom of the gift bag was a card which said “sorry you’re leaving” and signed by her ex co workers. 😂

I didn’t really mind. Still can’t top the poncho I got when I asked for a MAC lipstick.
Did you mention the regift. If no, why not?
I dont understand why one would accept such behaviour.
Id have to say something.

Reactions: 1
I didn’t mention the regift to her simply because I wasn’t offended by it. I’ve been in my minimalism phase for 5 years now. The majority of my clothing is already second hand from my siblings. I’ve known her my entire life, but she isn’t someone i’m particularly close to. The bag was still new (with tags). It didn’t matter to me that she hadn’t bought it herself.

If I had hated it I would have just donated it.

Reactions: 13
My biggest annoyance with family is they ask what I want constantly. Birthdays and Christmas.
And then get me something completely different.
Why ask? 😂

I asked for some baking bits for my birthday this year, in a couple of weeks. And my sister has already told me what she's got me. And none of it is baking bits 😂
Wouldn't even mind if they were thoughtful gifts to do with interests I have, things I like. But they're not 😂

I sound ungrateful. I'm grateful for the presents.
It's the fact they always ask. And have never got what I've suggested or even close 😂

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.