Christmas present moans #2 It's Xmas time & here's my present list, buy me what I want or you’ll meet my fist!

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
My mum gave me £20 in a card from a multipack. There’s no excuse other than ‘she couldn’t be arsed to go shopping‘

sounds ungrateful but I just wish she hadn’t bothered, I’d rather have had a Poundland bath bomb. At least some thought and effort would have had to go into that.

Then to add insult to injury her and her partner did nothing but moan about the Christmas dinner we cooked (petty things - they don’t like lettuce so just ate the prawns, don’t like parsnips, don’t like stuffing, only like well done beef, they had to pay for a taxi back home) Oh and drank all my baileys and port

• Sad
  • Angry
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I feel selfish but I have to share this. My daughter is subscribed to a monthly beauty box (glossy box). Earlier this year she told her cousin and my sister in law about it and they also joined. Every month my daughter shows me what she got in that months box, and offers me some bits which I decline.

For Xmas this year, both me and my daughter got a small gift box containing about 6 or so individually wrapped rejects from their own glossy boxes (sister in law and niece). 😳

I know money is tight for everyone but I would rather have just had a nice card than this. They know my daughter has a glossy box, and know we will have all these items already and know exactly where they came from. Really bizarre behaviour!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 32
I feel selfish but I have to share this. My daughter is subscribed to a monthly beauty box (glossy box). Earlier this year she told her cousin and my sister in law about it and they also joined. Every month my daughter shows me what she got in that months box, and offers me some bits which I decline.

For Xmas this year, both me and my daughter got a small gift box containing about 6 or so individually wrapped rejects from their own glossy boxes (sister in law and niece). 😳

I know money is tight for everyone but I would rather have just had a nice card than this. They know my daughter has a glossy box, and know we will have all these items already and know exactly where they came from. Really bizarre behaviour!
I had this from my best friend last year, i had actually cancelled my box as wasn’t enjoying the products, she knew this but still gave me a gift bag full of wrapped rejects for Xmas. I would have honestly preferred just a card.

My worst present this year is a rucksack from mt uncle, he asked if I would prefer money to a gift and I said money if possible as I’m on maternity leave and any extra cash helps. He bought me a really ugly bag which has been kept in his house for weeks where he smokes 20 cigarettes a day so not only is it vile but it also smells 🤮

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 21
My in-laws bought me a battery organiser, a wind up torch & a cheese box for the fridge. Oh and a chocolate orange.
I like a useful present but I got a torch last year from them, I buy batteries as and when I need them (what even takes batteries anymore except kids toys?) and I have a feeling she bought the cheese box because I commented on what a great idea theirs was.

Also, massive ick, FIL was practically standing over me with the black bag ready to catch the wrapping paper. Don’t think it even touched the ground at any point!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 11
Don't forget when unwrapping your Christmas present today, don't be disappointed whatever it is. Just think someone somewhere is opening a Cliff Richard album/calendar. View attachment 1830586
My grandma LOVED Cliff, anything cliff related as a gift was always a winner with her. She passed away in June and this year will be the first year in as long as I can remember that there won't be a cliff calendar hung up in their conservatory 😔 as weird as seeing a different type of calendar will be, I'm not convinced it's such a bad thing. One year there was a picture of him in a salmon suit with his wrinkly chest out and it made me feel nauseous 🤢

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My in-laws bought me a battery organiser, a wind up torch & a cheese box for the fridge. Oh and a chocolate orange.
I like a useful present but I got a torch last year from them, I buy batteries as and when I need them (what even takes batteries anymore except kids toys?) and I have a feeling she bought the cheese box because I commented on what a great idea theirs was.

Also, massive ick, FIL was practically standing over me with the black bag ready to catch the wrapping paper. Don’t think it even touched the ground at any point!
I’m trying to work out the logic of getting you a battery organiser and then a torch that doesn’t need batteries… you’ve not got the need for the organisation of the batteries 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 13
I don’t want to brag or rub it in, but I got what I asked for: money and gift vouchers. I’m happy with that and OK with not having anything 🎁 to open.

A friend of mine met a couple that know Cliff really well and they said he’s such a lovely man 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m trying to work out the logic of getting you a battery organiser and then a torch that doesn’t need batteries… you’ve not got the need for the organisation of the batteries 😂
Exactly. Doesn’t make sense!

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Not my gift but my daughter and her bf were bought a huge light up model of the Eiffel Tower by his mum. It cost nearly £70 from The Range. They’ve never been to Paris or expressed a wish to go and have no room for it!
What a waste. A £70 Tesco or M&S gift card would have been better.

I feel like the worst person in the world but I’m so hurt by what my boyfriend has given me for Christmas. I know he’s done it with some thought but I gave him vouchers for a couple of experiences, things he’d mentioned etc and in return I got a pestle and mortar, a bear and tickets to a show. I’m sure the show will be great. He got me the pestle and mortar because I said I like le creuset things, but it actually really upset me to open a teddy and a pestle and mortar on Christmas Day when I’d put so much thought in to personal things for him. This is the first one I’m spending with his family on the other side of the country to my loved ones and it’s making me want to cry because I feel quite alone
I'm sorry to read this Pinhead.

I know how much time you spent with the experiences.

How does Le Creuset = Pestle and mortar and not a mug or a small dish from them?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
My grandma LOVED Cliff, anything cliff related as a gift was always a winner with her. She passed away in June and this year will be the first year in as long as I can remember that there won't be a cliff calendar hung up in their conservatory 😔 as weird as seeing a different type of calendar will be, I'm not convinced it's such a bad thing. One year there was a picture of him in a salmon suit with his wrinkly chest out and it made me feel nauseous 🤢
We used to have a cliff calendar in the office because a colleague loved him. It was quite sweet until we got to the month with him in the bath, supposedly naked, blowing bubbles at the camera 😩

• Haha
  • Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 23
What every 15 year old wants 🤣. He's not ungrateful in the slightest but he snuck a side eyed look over to me and said 'yay, lynx'
received_1550286682111323.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
What a waste. A £70 Tesco or M&S gift card would have been better.

I'm sorry to read this Pinhead.

I know how much time you spent with the experiences.

How does Le Creuset = Pestle and mortar and not a mug or a small dish from them?
I had a constructive conversation with him about it yesterday and he was so so sorry which made me feel awful 😅. He said he got it because we’re moving in together and cook meals together every night from our cookbook so he thought he was being thoughtful but I said it made me feel a bit upset to receive a kitchen item we’ll inevitability share.

He wanted to throw it away because he didn’t want me to feel bad seeing it on the counter but I said no, let’s laugh about it which we have started to do 🤣 I could tell he felt bad yesterday, I wasn’t even allowed to buy a round of drinks 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 16
TBH I dont mind kitchen gifts as long as its what I asked for and its not my Main present :giggle:

Reactions: 19
Candles. So many candles despite be the fact I can't burn them because I have parrots (will kill them!) Every year it's the same 😂
Every year my boyfriends brothers girlfriend gets me a candle. I mean I love candles!!! But she gets me one for my birthday & Christmas 🤣🤣🤣

How do we feel about a regifted hamper? My daughter works in a marketing company. It was obviously gifted to the department. Some of the team took bits, my daughter gifted it to us … husband isn’t pleased I’m a bit meh. He thinks she should have tried harder as we give her money each month to her rent
I can understand why you’re upset as well but you can’t exactly say much can you. Thanks for my tit gift darling. For Father’s Day once my brother gave our dad a SQUASHED box of jelly babies. They defo found it in their cupboard last minute. And he was livid. He was ranting for ages. What makes you think it’s from her work is it really obvious

Reactions: 2
A very close relative of mine gives gifts of random stuff from around her house that she's originally bought for herself /received herself and never ended up using , all chucked in a gift bag

That in itself isn't even whats bad, it's that she TELLS you that it's random stuff from around her house so you don't really know what to reply??

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
My mum gave me £20 in a card from a multipack. There’s no excuse other than ‘she couldn’t be arsed to go shopping‘

sounds ungrateful but I just wish she hadn’t bothered, I’d rather have had a Poundland bath bomb. At least some thought and effort would have had to go into that.

Then to add insult to injury her and her partner did nothing but moan about the Christmas dinner we cooked (petty things - they don’t like lettuce so just ate the prawns, don’t like parsnips, don’t like stuffing, only like well done beef, they had to pay for a taxi back home) Oh and drank all my baileys and port
Don’t invite them next year 😂

I had a constructive conversation with him about it yesterday and he was so so sorry which made me feel awful 😅. He said he got it because we’re moving in together and cook meals together every night from our cookbook so he thought he was being thoughtful but I said it made me feel a bit upset to receive a kitchen item we’ll inevitability share.

He wanted to throw it away because he didn’t want me to feel bad seeing it on the counter but I said no, let’s laugh about it which we have started to do 🤣 I could tell he felt bad yesterday, I wasn’t even allowed to buy a round of drinks 🤣
Aww bless him. Least you didn’t have to buy any drinks. I think men sometimes are just really bad at gifts. Once my fella was like I’ve got you a present dead excited I was like ooo what is it!! ( it wasn’t Xmas or anything special ) and it was a friggin treee for the back garden 😂😂😂😂.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I have quite low expectations from Xmas so was happy to receive chocolates, merino wool jumper, champagne and money! Royal Mail were absolutely useless this year so I was just pleased most of my cards went through. Not the overseas ones though despite posting in October 🙄

Reactions: 6
I normally buy /make (don't worry, don't mean to sound like a tw*t but I am a good knitter and sewer) my family really personal and thought out gifts and they get me stuff that just make me wonder if they know me at all! They always ask what I'd like and because I don't ask them and observe them I always say I don't know and forget how rubbish they are at getting presents every year. The last two years I've made a list, given it to my bf and he then chooses stuff off it and gives it to my family. Easy right! Well this year I got what I wanted, yay! With a big side helping of 'wouldn't be what I'd want but here you go' 'don't even know what that is that I got you' 'that's alright yeah?? It's what YOU asked for so...'

Reactions: 9