Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
£33 and you don't even get all jam! I want jam coming out my ears for that.

We had the EXIT escape room advent calendar last year and it was so fun, really want that again this year but it looks like it's £40 on Amazon - we definitely didn't pay more than £25.

Reactions: 4
I honestly don't get the whole Gonk thing, I find them a bit odd. Somebody round the corner from us has their whole front garden covered in Gonks (it is a small are tbf but still)

• Haha
Reactions: 2
£33 and you don't even get all jam! I want jam coming out my ears for that.

We had the EXIT escape room advent calendar last year and it was so fun, really want that again this year but it looks like it's £40 on Amazon - we definitely didn't pay more than £25.
Not keen on the flavours of most of those spreads/jams.

Reactions: 2
We do a little walk to get some excitement out, home with a xmas eve box (pj's, a mug I use every year, and a little bit of chocolate) picky bits tea and a movie before bed!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Also not a Gonk fan. They make me think of Noddy and his chum in the car. Whose name escapes me currently.

I'm genuinely tempted by this advent calendar - https://www.bonnemaman.co.uk/advent. If it's still there after payday, I may indulge. The chestnut spread sounds 🤤

Alright lads Big ears here!😉😆 I think the gonk idea was meant to be a small part of the Scandi theme that just took off for some bizarre reason! The halloween ones are bloody everywhere this year too, its a no from me!

Attachments

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Gonks - do we love them? Or hate them? I do have a few but I don't put them out every year. They seem to have gained in popularity the last few years
We spend a lot of time in Denmark and there you find loads. The nisse is the folkloric character that is represented by the gonk style, with no eyes but the big nose. Apparently the nisse is like a brownie: they do good deeds around the homestead and you have to give them sweet porridge with a pat of butter in it on Christmas Eve so they stay with you for the following year.

I bought a ton of gonk-style nisse ornaments when I first went to Denmark perhaps eight years ago, thinking I was ever so original, and then felt really stupid when they were everywhere here within the next few years. They are definitely reaching saturation point now.

Gonks - do we love them? Or hate them? I do have a few but I don't put them out every year. They seem to have gained in popularity the last few years
I hate them because of that horse Stacey Solomon

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
We spend a lot of time in Denmark and there you find loads. The nisse is the folkloric character that is represented by the gonk style, with no eyes but the big nose. Apparently the nisse is like a brownie: they do good deeds around the homestead and you have to give them sweet porridge with a pat of butter in it on Christmas Eve so they stay with you for the following year.

I bought a ton of gonk-style nisse ornaments when I first went to Denmark perhaps eight years ago, thinking I was ever so original, and then felt really stupid when they were everywhere here within the next few years. They are definitely reaching saturation point now.
Ah interesting! At least yours are authentic and not from The Range 😄

• Haha
  • Heart
Alright lads Big ears here!😉😆 I think the gonk idea was meant to be a small part of the Scandi theme that just took off for some bizarre reason! The halloween ones are bloody everywhere this year too, its a no from me!
I love the Scandi themes but Gonks aren't it for me. Thanks for the reminder though. He scares me 😱

Reactions: 1
Absolutely! We have an illuminated steam train near us. Very lovely, really clever lighting and a great idea for train-mad little ones. But it is incredibly expensive, hundreds for a family, and we find that the best experience is waiting where the track goes through town so you can see the train from the outside; otherwise, you sit in your window seat peering through the condensation at the same string of lights for the whole journey and rely on your flashing wristband to make everything look Christmassy! (To be fair, you get a brilliant view at the station, but we found it all a bit overpriced for what you get).
My girls did one of the light trains last year while at their dad's house. They said it was boring, I think they're probably more impressive from the outside as like you said their just seeing the same lights. Our nearest has a few good spots to view it go past so may go down with hot chocolates.
We used to do a santa steam train which was really good, they did a different panto on it each year but they stopped since covid and only doing the light train 😔

Reactions: 3
Booked so far:
Wreath Making Class
European Xmas Market (Brussels via Eurostar)
Xmas Grotto

I'M SO EXCITED.

NY at xmas remains the dream. I'll get there one day (have been before but not for Xmas)
---

I have a (now vintage) Finnish gnome - was given by a neighbour from there. It's not pretty bless it (got a can opener tooth type) but my Mum loved it & has sadly passed on, so that hideous little gnome comes out every single xmas lol 😆

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I love gonks (the soft plush ones)🥹 I have quite a few Christmas ones, one autumn one holding a pumpkin and a spring one holding a daisy🥲 I’m quite selective though the ones I have are cute!

Reactions: 7
Sorry but Gonks just look like an old mans button mushroom dick with the grey pubes extending down to make the beard. Horrible things

• Haha
Reactions: 21
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x
Mine are grown up now but I still like to set up the NORAD tracker. It’s mostly for my benefit plus I still make them leave out a mince pie. Again for my benefit 🫶🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Mine are grown up now but I still like to set up the NORAD tracker. It’s mostly for my benefit plus I still make them leave out a mince pie. Again for my benefit 🫶🏻
Santa used to like a glass of sauvignon blanc in our house 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Having to put careful thought to what Santa would like when putting food out for him and Rudolph etc. Naturally all the stuff you don't want the children to gobble up.🤔 #parentalperks

Reactions: 3
My local The Range was just starting to set up their Christmas displays when I was in today. Managed to wriggle myself amongst the cardboard boxes and pick up two ceramic LED ornaments. They’re so cute! Look so much nicer in person and the lights don’t pull as yellow as they do on picture. House was £4.99 and present was £2.99.

The glue on the house is a bit messy and the trees fall off quite easily but I think I can sort it with some superglue.

IMG_8818.jpeg

EDIT - for the gonk lovers they had LED ceramic ones🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.