Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I tell the kids that Santa brings the presents and I pay for them. That way they know that they can't have everything, there's still a budget, and that's why some people get more or less presents. Santa will bring some things on their list and some surprises too.

Reactions: 19
I got a hideously overpriced metal advent calendar part of the lm from America shipped over so I fill that with a tin of quality street normally. I’ll get my little one the playmobil one this year. I am known for going totally overboard but can’t help it! Just booked Disney on ice they only had Christmas Eve left for good seats but suppose it won’t be a late night as starts at 2.30pm (2 hour drive home) Santa grotto at local zoo, light walk at local national trust house just the Audley end Christmas railway to book. How does everyone do ‘father Christmas gifts) I’ve said stockings are from him snd presents from me, stockings are new toothbrush, little bits and bobs etc. we are starting the elf this year but will just be moving her about the house hide and seek style I think. What does everyone do about Christmas Eve boxes? We have a family one with new pjs, a board game or movie and snacks then little one has one with Santa key, bath toy, Christmas Eve book and few little bits. I’m going to wrap up 24 Christmas books too for a book advent (same ones every year just rewrap them and read as bedtime books) what traditions do people have? Can you tell I’m getting excited already 🤣. Daughters presents are done as is niece. But still others to buy for because I have to budget I buy gift cards smyths for example so I know I have the money there for my nephew who changes his mind so I need to buy nearer the time. My dad and brother are rude enough to have December birthdays as well as Christmas and are nightmares to buy from so dreading that!
Father Christmas does stockings (colouring/activity book, pens pencils, socks, Bath bomb, sweets etc) and he delivers all other presents from me

Reactions: 4
Has anyone been to Lapland before? I’ve been pricing it for the 4 of us and I just don’t know whether it’s worth the extortionate price tag

Reactions: 3
I
I got a hideously overpriced metal advent calendar part of the lm from America shipped over so I fill that with a tin of quality street normally. I’ll get my little one the playmobil one this year. I am known for going totally overboard but can’t help it! Just booked Disney on ice they only had Christmas Eve left for good seats but suppose it won’t be a late night as starts at 2.30pm (2 hour drive home) Santa grotto at local zoo, light walk at local national trust house just the Audley end Christmas railway to book. How does everyone do ‘father Christmas gifts) I’ve said stockings are from him snd presents from me, stockings are new toothbrush, little bits and bobs etc. we are starting the elf this year but will just be moving her about the house hide and seek style I think. What does everyone do about Christmas Eve boxes? We have a family one with new pjs, a board game or movie and snacks then little one has one with Santa key, bath toy, Christmas Eve book and few little bits. I’m going to wrap up 24 Christmas books too for a book advent (same ones every year just rewrap them and read as bedtime books) what traditions do people have? Can you tell I’m getting excited already 🤣. Daughters presents are done as is niece. But still others to buy for because I have to budget I buy gift cards smyths for example so I know I have the money there for my nephew who changes his mind so I need to buy nearer the time. My dad and brother are rude enough to have December birthdays as well as Christmas and are nightmares to buy from so dreading that!
I do one inexpensive present from Father Christmas. I told my daughter that he has that many presents to deliver he can only fit one for each child on his sleigh. My daughter thinks it makes more sense that he can only deliver one present per child. I also thought that when she started school if some children didn't get as many presents or just the one from FC that they wouldn't feel upset if she said she'd got x,y,b, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6
Has anyone dealt with overzealous grandparents? How do you get them to tone down the gifts?

Has anyone been to Lapland before? I’ve been pricing it for the 4 of us and I just don’t know whether it’s worth the extortionate price tag
My daughter took my 2 grandsons there for a 3 night trip about 6 or 7 years ago, and she said it was the best holiday they've ever had; the boys were 3 and 8 when they went, and they went early December.

Reactions: 2
Santa presents for us we’re always a stocking/sack at the end of the bed and a couple of “traditional” santa gifts (jigsaws, games, books, things he might “make” in his workshop so not an Xbox haha) and then the presents under the tree were from mum and dad and were often the more expensive bits.

Last year my niece asked for a Nintendo switch but was very clear she was asking Santa for it and not her parents as “they are expensive and I don’t want mummy and daddy to have to pay for it” god love her

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I tell the kids that Santa brings the presents and I pay for them. That way they know that they can't have everything, there's still a budget, and that's why some people get more or less presents. Santa will bring some things on their list and some surprises too.
We do the same, all presents except for one are from us and we don't send all the presents to father Christmas because we have to leave room for everyone else's presents!
---
The works have 2 for £15 on book calendars or £10 each!

Everything is left by Santa in our house but I have an arrangement with him where I tell him how much he can spend and reimburse him! I've never found my 2 discuss with their friends who got what from whom, if they got an x box no one cares if it came from Santa or grandad.

I

I do one inexpensive present from Father Christmas. I told my daughter that he has that many presents to deliver he can only fit one for each child on his sleigh. My daughter thinks it makes more sense that he can only deliver one present per child. I also thought that when she started school if some children didn't get as many presents or just the one from FC that they wouldn't feel upset if she said she'd got x,y,b, etc.
last year was the first year that my lb understood Father Christmas so we told him he was only allowed to ask for one present and then made sure that was what FC got him.
Feel we haven’t quite thought it through when he gets to an age and wants a games console, maybe will add in a money element as he gets older!

Reactions: 2
Hello 👋🏻 first time on this thread. The dreaded C is looming 🤣🤣🤣

Just wondering what your 14/15 year old girls (if any) are asking for/getting? Ta 🙂

Reactions: 1
Now my kids are teenagers I look back on how much I used to spend on them at Xmas and baulk- I mean I didn’t go over £200 each but a lot of the stuff was kind of not used a few months later. Some random examples include t shirts that you could write on and it would light up in the dark and a magic set that got used once.

Things that always were worth it were games consoles (very occasional present but there was always mega excitement about the PS5 or Switch opening), Lego, pyjamas and clothes.

Also, you don’t have to spend mega bucks on events in December to make lovely memories. We do lots of baking- just simple stuff- together, and go and choose a few new decorations each year in London and enjoy the beautiful lights.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I bought my first Christmas presents while on holiday last week! Also been looking at Christmas jumpers on vinted ha.

I have a Boden fabric advent calendar that is really bright, they usually bring them out every year or you might find it on vinted. It was £75 though 🫠 but I saw it as an investment for my little one to start a tradition.
What do you do? Sew them together to make a quilt?
---
What do you do? Sew them together to make a quilt?
NVM my stupid ass, I though it was an advent calendar with a different square of fabric in each window :poop:

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Has anyone dealt with overzealous grandparents? How do you get them to tone down the gifts?
It depends on them I guess. I would just tell them two presents max per child. Or if the issue is that the gifts are too expensive I’d give them a price limit. Or alternatively tell them what to get.

Yes, the in-laws go overboard with presents, probably to make up for being tit Grandparents. We've not managed to stop them over buying presents yet.

It depends on them I guess. I would just tell them two presents max per child. Or if the issue is that the gifts are too expensive I’d give them a price limit. Or alternatively tell them what to get.
My parents don’t go mad but I am guilty of it so fir her birthday I’ve said a little gift and maybe they can put a little money in her savings instead. I’m very lucky my brother who earns very good money kindly puts money into my little ones savings and I top it up. I’m trying to limit myself and instead if toys have memory making days out etc but buying throughout the year means I forget how much I’ve got 🙈

I now just ask for money, myne has her own revoult card so it makes more sense for her to buy what she wants over my mother in law's tat. She's happy to not have to shop as well i think.

Reactions: 5
My baba will be 8 months when it’s Christmas. I’m so so excited for her first Christmas even though she won’t really know what’s going on and seeing Santa will possibly scare her 🙈 is it silly to want to decorate etc for her? I’m telling people not to go OTT with gifts as there’s time for that in the future 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.