Christmas 2023

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m a HUGE Christmas nerd but I’ve not had a Christmas tree in over a decade, started out because I was single and working abroad a lot so saw no need, then when I met Mr Meg and we had a child who turned out to be part-flying squirrel we thought it best to avoid the inevitable destruction. We also live in a teeny tiny cottage and there’s not much room, if we bought a tree it would need to be size appropriate and as we are hoping to move asap it seems silly to blow the budget on a nice tree before we have the space to justify it.

…..But kiddo is growing fast and I realised tonight we only have 4-6 Christmasses left of scampering downstairs eagerly checking if Santa has been, and it made me really sad so maybe we can find a compromise, a smaller cheaper tree that we don’t mind getting attacked. So I checked online and found that Argos has some sort of glitch on the Christmas trees, they’ve got 2ft ones priced at £90, 4ft at £1.50, and 6ft pre lit for £25, it’s all over the place! I’ve ordered the 6ft one to quality check, thought I should share in case anyone else needs a bargain option!
Thankyou you've save me a fortune got a 1.50 on for teens bedroom

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I want a vintage Christmas this year, been searching for colourful 50s/60s baubles but they're not cheap, anyone know anyone that does modern versions?

Reactions: 2
I’m a HUGE Christmas nerd but I’ve not had a Christmas tree in over a decade, started out because I was single and working abroad a lot so saw no need, then when I met Mr Meg and we had a child who turned out to be part-flying squirrel we thought it best to avoid the inevitable destruction. We also live in a teeny tiny cottage and there’s not much room, if we bought a tree it would need to be size appropriate and as we are hoping to move asap it seems silly to blow the budget on a nice tree before we have the space to justify it.

…..But kiddo is growing fast and I realised tonight we only have 4-6 Christmasses left of scampering downstairs eagerly checking if Santa has been, and it made me really sad so maybe we can find a compromise, a smaller cheaper tree that we don’t mind getting attacked. So I checked online and found that Argos has some sort of glitch on the Christmas trees, they’ve got 2ft ones priced at £90, 4ft at £1.50, and 6ft pre lit for £25, it’s all over the place! I’ve ordered the 6ft one to quality check, thought I should share in case anyone else needs a bargain option!
Thank you, I've put an order in!

Reactions: 1
I want a vintage Christmas this year, been searching for colourful 50s/60s baubles but they're not cheap, anyone know anyone that does modern versions?
I love the 50's/60's and have quite a few Christmas decorations from that era (some were my nans) but I've picked up quite a few 50's/60's decorations in charity shops, but of course that's very hit and miss. I got some from Sainsbury's one year that were modern versions of that style and from paperchase (but I think they may have gone into administration?) I've just signed up to vinted so am hopeful maybe some will be sold on there?

Thank you, my daughter lost the stand to hers, so I'm going to see if I can still get hold of the £1.50 trees for the kids bedrooms, my husband will kill me 😂

Reactions: 4
I also bought the 4 foot one and even if it stays in the box this year, at £1.50, no complaints. Thanks for the heads up @Meg78 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m so delighted to have found this thread!

I looove Christmas, have already started picking up some bits and pieces for pressies too. We are supposed to be hosting Christmas this year but there’s a bit of a family tiff going on with my siblings other half so who knows what way things will work out, but as long as I have my other half, my child & my grand baby at some point during the day I really do not care!

We have a snow flocked tree and don’t put many decorations on it, just lights, and I love how cosy it makes the house in the evenings!

Reactions: 9
You'd really think that given the Millennial love for all things mid-century modern that someone would have got on this. Unfortunately not really in a mass-produced cheap way. I switched our theme from Scandi to mid-century the other year and haven't found a great cheap option. My approach was:
For new but vintage style:
- imported a variety of Christopher Radko Shiny Brite baubles from the US
- bought a variety of retro style baubles from Poland when we were there for the Christmas markets, from this store in particular. My hint for the markets if you might bring back baubles is to pack Tupperware so you can pack them and they won't get crushed.
For originals:
- Ebay - I've found some gems on eBay but can be variable depending on whether or not auction or buy it now. It's best to start looking now as I've found closer to Christmas everything is more in demand
- Etsy - obviously fixed price so easier than eBay, but less of a chance of a bargain.

If you want to stick with it longer term as a theme, probably the best option is to buy solid baubles in mid-century colours - pale pink, hot pink, mint, turquoise, red and green and then accent it with the odd set of vintage baubles, buying them gradually as you find them.

Reactions: 6
Christmas trees bought… now onto Christmas wrap 😂
I've got about ten rolls, every year I buy 2 or 3 rolls in the sales. Sainsburys used to be great, you could get it for 25p a roll, but money doesn't put any the sale in anymore.

When does everyone put their tree up? I’d love to be a November putter upper but my little boys birthday is the beginning of December so I have to wait until I’ve done the whole birthday display then put my tree up, feel like I don’t get use out of it 😢

When does everyone put their tree up? I’d love to be a November putter upper but my little boys birthday is the beginning of December so I have to wait until I’ve done the whole birthday display then put my tree up, feel like I don’t get use out of it 😢
Can't you do both? I;m sure he wouldn't mind having Christmas decorations intermixed with his B-day ones

Usually put it up last weekend in November. We've got a wooden advent calendar that's packed away with all the dec's, so might aswell put the whole lot up than just get that one thing out for the 1st December. Get yourself one and use that as an excuse :LOL:

I got some baubles in a big set for £10 from B and M a couple of years ago. Went back to get some more last year as they were so good and they didn't have them, just some tacky looking similar ones. ☹
Crossing everything they bring them back this year. 🤞

November, I'm getting earlier and earlier as the years go on. I put it up the first week of November last year, but we were away for the first two weeks of Decmeber so I felt like I'd be missing out on seeing the tree up.

I put mine up in November if I remember, with more autumn/winter decs on and then the nearer to Christmas it gets it gravitates into more Christmas decs.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.