Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
got my xmas paper from h&m and oxfam the past few years, and a william morris roll (mum was almost happier w the paper than her gifts lol) from tkmaxx. i love doing a colour theme for each person with kraft paper and a few accents, so patterned paper and matching ribbons. going to try and do 'bands' of the patterned ones this year to make it go a bit further and the two layers will hopefully make it look like i've put loads of effort in.

my main trick for wrapping is making sure it's paper and not plastic coated (folds so much nicer), folding the raw edges over and using double sided tape

• Heart
Reactions: 10

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Once you stop buying presents it gets so much easier.

My friend's birthday is coming up. He asked for no gifts, so I'm going to respect that and am just going to write him a letter instead.

• Heart

Badirene

VIP Member
Yeah, my kind of people! Hallmark do "Christmas in July" week long Christmas film marathon.

I cook a Christmas type dinner one Sunday in July, and we watch Christmas films all day with snacks :oops: . We started doing this in the first covid lockdown as we live far away from family and had not seen anyone in months and were feeling pretty blah, it has now become tradition.

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
23rd is my favourite day of the season, Xmas eve eve. I spend it totally alone before having to go to stay at my familys on 24th. Spend it drinking all the alcohol, having my favourite foods and watching seasonal specials on TV. And do some wrapping under the tree xx

• Heart

ems1982

Chatty Member
Love this thread so much already!
I love a Christmas afternoon tea up in London some time in December. Have done a few and the Ritz is literally incredible……would really recommend it if you ever get the chance. It’s £ but honestly fantastic.

coconochanel

VIP Member
I hate wrapping gifts too. I always remember Simon Cowell when he said 'I just put gifts in a gift bag, no point wrapping them, people dont care about the wrapping they just want the gift' :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
  • Wow

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
I usually get a lot of joy buying people presents and try to put a lot of thought into it. Then last year, all I got in return from my family (bar husband) were really generic gifts, like someone had done an Xmas eve haul round tk maxx. I hope this doesn't sound ungrateful but it really upset me. So this year I'm asking for vouchers or nothing at all and I'll be buying vouchers in return.
The same thing happened to me. I spent a fortune on my sister, her husband and their two children, and in return she bought me a tea towel… husband got nothing. Last year, I told her I’m just buying for her children from now on, and she doesn’t need to get us anything in return.

• Sad

Bobbiewilson

VIP Member
My local B&m has started putting Christmas stock out!! Saw some socks and the gift sets they always have, Xbox etc.

If you’re looking for recipes, I recommend Mary Berry’s Christmas chutney, it’s 🤤 I always make a big batch and give jars as gifts with some nice crackers and cheese. Always well received

• Heart

Badirene

VIP Member
Yeah there's some people I wouldn't buy for until nearer the time. Like my husband who is prone to changing his mind at the last minute! But there's some things I always get e.g. my nephews always get new pyjamas as part of their gift and I have an aunty where we have a tradition of exchanging gifts of funny socks, so I can get those ticked off early usually.
I got my partner novelty socks as a joke Christmas gift last year, I got a photo of his childhood teddy bear printed on socks and he loved them, he wears them every Sunday 😅

• Heart

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
My youngest son has only just turned 5 so we don't have many traditions. The oldest does his own thing now 😭 One tradition I've started is visiting the Luminations. They do various spots around the UK. We either go before Xmas or on NYE. He won't sit still through a film or a pantomime, so this is a good alternative, as he can follow a trail, and it lasts quite a while. Last year I got him a Christmas craft kit from The Works. He loved it and played with it for hours in the run up. I help him write a "dear santa" list that we take to the post box. We go to a grotto too. I refuse to do anything fancy though. I priced a couple of experiences and they were coming in at over £200! And they always sell out quickly. It's crazy. You don't seem to get much for the money either. I'll probably get him a fancy calendar this year, rather than an Xmas eve box. Because he just wasn't interested in it at all.

Always the Christmas movies and tipples on the run up. I try and lay off the snacks until the day but the Colin is normally demolished in good time.

I am a bit of a Christmas nut. I put loads of lights up outside, light up figures - sleigh, reindeer, santa, Xmas tree, penguins etc. inflatables in the back garden, Xmas bedding on every bed, Xmas cushions on sofas, colour coordinated throws..lots of Xmas themed statues and lights in the house etc. My son has a tacky blue tree he's allowed to decorate himself. This all goes up the weekend closest to the 1st of December. We all have Christmas jumpers/t-shirts and pjs to wear too. I love lighting the scented candles

Xmas eve is blasting the Christmas songs, ordering a takeaway curry and gin for the adults while we tackle the madness of prepping to host Xmas lunch for 8 people, little one has an Xmas themed bath bomb, Xmas pjs and chocolate galore. We put out a mince pie, tot of brandy and a carrot on a themed wooden board. We read Christmas stories, traditional nativity as well as commercial ones 🎄🎁

• Heart
Reactions: 9

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
For my birthday/ Christmas I just want a new notebook from Papier.

1685873846316.png

One of these two books too which I've had in my Wishlist for ages.

1685874231097.png

Shesaidwhat?

VIP Member
Gonks - do we love them? Or hate them? I do have a few but I don't put them out every year. They seem to have gained in popularity the last few years
Sorry I’m in hate camp. Why is there a gonk for every season? They don’t even have a face. why are they wearing Santa hats and rabbit ears but have no eyes?

• Haha

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Dobbie's the garden centre also had some nice baubles last year that might look vintage.

I generally like traditional ones, not avocados. :ROFLMAO:
---
The natural history museum had dinosaurs. I loved the imperial war museums ones too though- Santa's in war planes.

Last edited:
  • Haha

JustmeKC

VIP Member
I’m so delighted to have found this thread!

I looove Christmas, have already started picking up some bits and pieces for pressies too. We are supposed to be hosting Christmas this year but there’s a bit of a family tiff going on with my siblings other half so who knows what way things will work out, but as long as I have my other half, my child & my grand baby at some point during the day I really do not care!

We have a snow flocked tree and don’t put many decorations on it, just lights, and I love how cosy it makes the house in the evenings!

Ari-55

I Christmas shop throughout the year, including in the Boxing Day sales 😂 Although I don’t go out to the shops on Boxing Day, just buy online. I have a storage box where I keep all my “gifting” things. I buy for around 25 people and try to stick to my budget.

Also helps spread the cost and means when Christmas season comes around I’m not out in the shops at every spare moment getting stressed by the crowds. I enjoy the atmosphere as long as I haven’t got a million things to do / buy.

Boots Boxing Day Sale is usually really good (half price on fragrance gift sets) but you have to be really quick. Think I managed to get 3 people’s fragrances last time and they don’t perish (as long as you don’t open them for some reason of course.) I always look at the special offers around other holidays too, like Valentines Day, Mothers Day etc, there’s always offers on.

I do also have a diary that has a couple of pages dedicated to gift ideas 😂 I am guilty of looking at people’s bathroom shelves when using the bathroom to see what brands they like and I keep notes when someone mentions something they like. I just really like gifting.

• Heart