Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Misssj80

VIP Member
My son insisted on watching The polar Express every bloody day for six months when he was four. Its been ten years now since I've seen it, last year he said shall we watch it again? No was my reply.😂

• Haha
Reactions: 9

Katienana

Love York at Christmas, do a little girly trip there end of November and it's so pretty and Christmassy. For a small compact city the shopping is really good and there are great places to eat.

Meg78

VIP Member
Must have pissed off someone at Argos as they’ve completely removed the listings for those trees 🫣

• Haha
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x
Just found this thread so wanted to share a couple of things we do with the kids…..
- trip to see Santa, usually a garden centre but last year we did Tulleys Farm in Crawley….it snowed and was so frigging xmass-ey so don’t think I can beat that this year 🤦🏼‍♀️😂
- each year my 2x kids pick a bauble each for the tree….and it can be anything they want (have done this since each were babies). So amongst the really nice baubles etc I’ve collected over years we have a glittery rubber duck, balloon shape dog, Brussel sprout wreath, pink unicorn, sausage roll (paper chase did some brilliant novelty decorations!)….you get the idea 😂 they love it and brings a little fun to the tree
- there’s a road by us (South London) and most of the houses go all out with the Xmas lights…they’ve done it since I was a kid and it’s like a charity thing now. So we go and take the kids down for a walk to see all the lights etc

MitziAdele

VIP Member
I always struggle with what to buy my parents each year. Any tips? I love meaningful gifts but I always come up short with mum and dad. My dad is so hard to buy for!
It is difficult when they seem to have everything and say they don't need anything. What about making up your own hamper filled with things you know they like. For example their favourite beer/drinks, books, sweets. Or tickets or vouchers for an event you know they will enjoy.
We wrap it up in cellophane foil with ribbon and bows to make it look nice.
You can also stay within your budget. 🙂

• Heart

koko1234

I have a Christmas cupboard in the kitchen everytime i go shopping i buy one item to go in the cupboard ( obviously check the dates) and then once Christmas comes around I just make a list of the little extra bits I need , we also have tinned fruit and the little tins of nestle cream and condensed milk with tinned peaches , tinned ham etc , i always start Christmas shopping early , if I see cheap gift sets in the sales throught out then year I pick them up and put them away too , also another money saving idea is to check local charity shops and vinted , for gift sets and pyjamas with tags on , ive picked up loads of cheap new gifts in charity shops throughout the year , does anyone else do this or is it just me ? 😂

• Heart

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
My local bakery just asked for feedback on social media because they’re having their Christmas product meeting soon. They posted it with a photo of mince pies and and now I really fancy one.

• Heart

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
If anyone likes traditional PJ's.

Ralph Lauren (John Lewis down to £55)

1691783497808.png

Or £35 personalised M&S ones you can order now! I wouldn't have a problem wearing from the men's section.

Chocolategoggler

VIP Member
We have a really weird shaped living room where the sofa can only go in one place due to where the doors are. We used to put the tree in the only real space but it meant it was kind of behind the sofa so you couldn't really see it. We switched to getting a much smaller tree which meant we had to pare back the decorations but it can now go in the fireplace where you can see it from all angles. 😍
I fell in love with a tree in Next and wrestled myself out of the store before I ran to the till with my flexible friend 😄
Said tree turned up in the sale much, much cheaper. 😲 so I bought it!
Unfortunately it is not happy in my home and tends to attack whoever is walking past. I realise to my cost it won't be happy until I buy it the correct surroundings, so I'm reduced to putting up a slightly cheaper Asda version which is much happier in my house and "grumpy" stays upstairs if I can cajole anyone to help me put it up. 😥

• Haha

Em_

VIP Member
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x
-A visit to Father Christmas, I try to get Christmas Eve if I can.
-The panto
-A Christmas eve buffet at my parents.
-Watch a christmas film every weekend in December.
-We put up their Christmas tree's and decorated their bedrooms.
-A trip into Chester to do some Christmas shopping.
-A Christmas eve box with matching Christmas pyjamas, a bath bomb, book, hot chocolate and marshmallows cone and a cone of popcorn and then we watch a film.
-A Christmas day tradition is that we always make sure we watch the Julia Donaldson adaption in the bbc.
I need to add some more, we mainly do inexpensive things, but they're the little things that we do every year.

• Heart

Meg78

VIP Member
I just can’t get on board with showing my child how to be naughty, she mimics everything including how her dad groans to get off a chair, there’s no way I’m enlightening her with the joys of throwing flour around the kitchen 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha

ATV2021

VIP Member
Booked so far:
Wreath Making Class
European Xmas Market (Brussels via Eurostar)
Xmas Grotto

I'M SO EXCITED.

NY at xmas remains the dream. I'll get there one day (have been before but not for Xmas)
---
We spend a lot of time in Denmark and there you find loads. The nisse is the folkloric character that is represented by the gonk style, with no eyes but the big nose. Apparently the nisse is like a brownie: they do good deeds around the homestead and you have to give them sweet porridge with a pat of butter in it on Christmas Eve so they stay with you for the following year.

I bought a ton of gonk-style nisse ornaments when I first went to Denmark perhaps eight years ago, thinking I was ever so original, and then felt really stupid when they were everywhere here within the next few years. They are definitely reaching saturation point now.
I have a (now vintage) Finnish gnome - was given by a neighbour from there. It's not pretty bless it (got a can opener tooth type) but my Mum loved it & has sadly passed on, so that hideous little gnome comes out every single xmas lol 😆

• Heart

GoldSilver

VIP Member
I want to change my Christmas tree colour scheme this year. Past few years I’ve had bronze / rose gold. I want bright pink this year 🩷

what do we think the insta huns are doing colour wise / theme this year?
I wonder if some influencers might go for pink with how big Barbie has been this year.

ems1982

Chatty Member
Would people say 4 is a good age for Disney on ice at the o2 before I book it! Have never been.
I’ve taken mine at aged 4 and they loved it.
Little tip - buy some Minnie ears and a light up wand thing cheap before you go (Amazon) because the prices there for the gift shop are RIDICULOUS!!!! (Like £35 for a light up wand) also take your own sweets / popcorn. I think a bag of popcorn or candy floss was £15 xxx

• Wow

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
I got a hideously overpriced metal advent calendar part of the lm from America shipped over so I fill that with a tin of quality street normally. I’ll get my little one the playmobil one this year. I am known for going totally overboard but can’t help it! Just booked Disney on ice they only had Christmas Eve left for good seats but suppose it won’t be a late night as starts at 2.30pm (2 hour drive home) Santa grotto at local zoo, light walk at local national trust house just the Audley end Christmas railway to book. How does everyone do ‘father Christmas gifts) I’ve said stockings are from him snd presents from me, stockings are new toothbrush, little bits and bobs etc. we are starting the elf this year but will just be moving her about the house hide and seek style I think. What does everyone do about Christmas Eve boxes? We have a family one with new pjs, a board game or movie and snacks then little one has one with Santa key, bath toy, Christmas Eve book and few little bits. I’m going to wrap up 24 Christmas books too for a book advent (same ones every year just rewrap them and read as bedtime books) what traditions do people have? Can you tell I’m getting excited already 🤣. Daughters presents are done as is niece. But still others to buy for because I have to budget I buy gift cards smyths for example so I know I have the money there for my nephew who changes his mind so I need to buy nearer the time. My dad and brother are rude enough to have December birthdays as well as Christmas and are nightmares to buy from so dreading that!
I read this at quite a speed 😆 love the idea of 24 children’s books - I may have to steal that for next year when baby Hollywood is here. I think telling children that parents bought the more expensive presents is important. It gives them more value as they’ve been worked hard for. Santa took credit for way too long.
Love a Christmas Eve box. We usually do a book and dvd, socks, face mask, bubble bath, chocolate. Nothing big.

• Heart