Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Moonbeams

Chatty Member
Just found this thread! I really hope for a lovely Christmas this year. 🎅 Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons...I love the anticipation of summer and Christmas!

Reactions: 11

Em_

VIP Member
With kids you can make it as simple or stressful as you like, Elf on the shelf not on my watch, 900 different trips at xmas, no thanks. It's the small things kids appreciate. Source, myself as a mother 😆
I wish I’d never started elf on the shelf, I even had to take it on holiday last year

• Haha

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
Love this thread.

Bought my daughters first Christmas present this week. She’s a January baby too so I try and spread out the cost.

• Heart

Nosymum

VIP Member
I got a hideously overpriced metal advent calendar part of the lm from America shipped over so I fill that with a tin of quality street normally. I’ll get my little one the playmobil one this year. I am known for going totally overboard but can’t help it! Just booked Disney on ice they only had Christmas Eve left for good seats but suppose it won’t be a late night as starts at 2.30pm (2 hour drive home) Santa grotto at local zoo, light walk at local national trust house just the Audley end Christmas railway to book. How does everyone do ‘father Christmas gifts) I’ve said stockings are from him snd presents from me, stockings are new toothbrush, little bits and bobs etc. we are starting the elf this year but will just be moving her about the house hide and seek style I think. What does everyone do about Christmas Eve boxes? We have a family one with new pjs, a board game or movie and snacks then little one has one with Santa key, bath toy, Christmas Eve book and few little bits. I’m going to wrap up 24 Christmas books too for a book advent (same ones every year just rewrap them and read as bedtime books) what traditions do people have? Can you tell I’m getting excited already 🤣. Daughters presents are done as is niece. But still others to buy for because I have to budget I buy gift cards smyths for example so I know I have the money there for my nephew who changes his mind so I need to buy nearer the time. My dad and brother are rude enough to have December birthdays as well as Christmas and are nightmares to buy from so dreading that!

Attachments

• Heart
I've done my OH one the last couple of years (made him a wooden one from Hobbycraft) and trying to find 24 little things that aren't shite and don't cost over £2 each is a nightmare.
Thankfully this is where her age benefits me, I’m thinking more a bag of Percy pig choccy coins intermixed with “Christmas vouchers” for things like trampolining or swimming, stuff we’d do anyway but just made a bit more special for Christmas. I’m not a fan of tat so definitely not a consumption based thing.

• Heart

Magee

VIP Member
Thanks everyone for their useful tips for a Xmas do! Work are paying £40 per head, there’s 20 of us, we can leave at 3pm for it so it doesn’t take too much of people’s evenings. Most people seem happy with a meal so I’m going to be democratic and put it to a vote! A local hotel is doing meal and disco and there’s a couple of places in town for a Xmas set menu - still seems too early for some as I haven’t seen many advertising yet!

Then it’ll be the fun part of “I didn’t drink so I’m not paying any extra” to “I don’t remember ordering those drinks” and “I ordered mine separately at the bar” when the final bill comes and no-one takes responsibility lol.

Yesterday, home bargains in York (Clifton Moor) had FIVE Xmas aisles! Thought of you all seen as I was on my own with no-one to share the joy with 😊

Also - I start my Xmas cake on stir up Sunday however I’m going to do it a month earlier this year so it’s ready earlier! @coconochanel

Penguinfeet

Ooohhh Christmas! I love Christmas! Decorating trees is my thing and I have far more Christmas decorations than anyone has a right to 🙈 I love everything about Christmas - although I always think Christmas Day is a bit of a let down. Do t really know what I expect! We stay home usually so no hosting or people coming round, which I couldn't cope with as a host, but I do miss being a kid and the grandparents and friends coming round. All the rest of it though and the build up to it? Love it all!

nik1231

Chatty Member
This one I can help with! I’ve been during Christmas season 3 times because I love it so much! The most recent was last year so in a ‘post-covid’ world. It can be cold so take plenty of layers and last year it rained relentlessly the day we got there so waterproofs also. Some of the characters at meet and greets are dressed in festive costumes, there’s a really lovely Christmas parade and a tree lighting ceremony in the evening along with regular bouts of ‘snow’ on Main Street. There’s Christmas themed shows too and usually lots of festive snacks, oh I’m so jealous! I think it’s magical 🪄
I second this. I don't have children yet, but even as an adult it's completely magical. They also have a little Christmas market with all the festive foods and mulled wine, or at least they used to. It's been a few years since I've been at Christmas. I would 100% recommend!

Oh and the festive snacks! There are lots of special festive drinks and snacks - it's worth going just for that!
---
This thread makes me happy - I can't believe I've just discovered it. I love Christmas! The second the weather turns a bit darker and damper (which let's be honest was a couple of weeks ago) I'm ready to break out the Christmas lights. I'm THAT annoying person...!

This year we are doing Christmas a little differently. I've lived abroead for the past 10 years and always come home to celebrate Christmas with my mum, aunt, uncle and husband and my mum usually cooks the dinner. This year I've living in London so my mum is coming here and cooking the dinner here.

The build up is the best part for me though so I can't wait to get booking up some events. Already got Christmas at Kew and Christmas Carols at the Royal Albert Hall booked. :) Do you guys have any plans for the run up to Christmas?

Last edited:

Magee

VIP Member
YAAY THIS THREAD!! The autumnal weather this week, coupled with me booking in the date and time for colleagues to hold for a Christmas celebration has got me thinking about it. Very exciting for me this year as we will finally host for the first time, my partner and I come from foodie families and we all fight to host 😂 I’m the youngest, it’s finally my time. I love that we will be starting our own traditions and doing it our way. When I was a kid, we had a rigid Christmas Day that alternated every year, but with grandparents passing it’s never been the same. Think as I’ve gotten older, I’ve realised Christmas comes in all shapes and sizes and I really want to embrace being more flexible.

We’re also having a new kitchen diner next month, we definitely need new extendable dining table. Does anyone know when the best to buy these are e.g. is it worth waiting for Black Friday?

• Heart

Meg78

VIP Member
Do you just have 1 and are they the only grandchild? I find the over gifting calms down eventually, especially when more and more grandkids get added to the mix.
Can you ask for season tickets to places? I always used to ask for season tickets to the local zoo or farm so we'd have year long fun when mine were younger.
Why do they always find the loudest, biggest, most garish toys 😂 where are they supposed to go?!
Yup, only grandchild on both sides, so their entire grandparent energy is focused on the tiny poor soul 🤦🏻‍♀️ I keep reminding myself that it’s not a bad thing to have so many people love your child, but it’s hard to not get annoyed when they act like the parents, all of the big blockbuster iconic moments of parenting we get pushed aside and they take the limelight, last year they did the bicycle under the Christmas tree bit, this year they wanted to gift a trip to Disneyland…. Just them, no parents allowed. They don’t usually reveal what the big item will be in advance, the only reason we know this year is because they started nagging us to get a passport sorted! If we suggest an alternative or cash/experience vouchers it gets shot down, we tried making a wish list and that got ignored too, and the one time I insisted on a firm boundary there was hysterics….. so, I’m going to make like a georgie and just drink my way through the season 🙃

• Heart
  • Haha

hmc1203

My Christmas planner has arrived !! It's been so dark and rainy and windy here today so perfect day to start filling it in!!

I've normally started shopping by now but my daughter is 18 in September so will be after that but I have my shopping vouchers coming end of October so that will be a massive help !

Conveniently left the " what would you like for Christmas " page of the planner open for my ( adult) children to see !!!

Started planning some December fun for us - it's only me and my 2 children ( 19 and will be 18) so we plan lots of silly fun things throughout December!

I'm so excited !!

MJLT16

Hi everyone would love to join this thread!! Iv always adored Christmas time, I was dreading it this year as we will have a 20 month old and he is going to rip my tree apart 😂 but after finding this thread you have all reminded me why I love it so much!!

Unfortunately for me there won’t be much family time thanks to selfish parents and in laws!! But luckily we made our own family. Three kids will be wild Christmas morning 🙅🏻‍♀️

• Heart

kelly123

VIP Member
Those of you with children - What traditions do you have with your little ones? It's my daughters first 'proper' Christmas this year and I'd love to start some traditions as my family didn't really have any growing up so not sure where to start... (I've already booked a Santa visit at the zoo 😁) x
Mine are grown up now but I still like to set up the NORAD tracker. It’s mostly for my benefit plus I still make them leave out a mince pie. Again for my benefit 🫶🏻

• Heart

Marylou

VIP Member
I was wondering recently why my brother never mentioned the Christmas gift we gave him, only to realise that it's still in my gift cupboard ready to give this year 😅

• Haha
  • Wow

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
We spend a lot of time in Denmark and there you find loads. The nisse is the folkloric character that is represented by the gonk style, with no eyes but the big nose. Apparently the nisse is like a brownie: they do good deeds around the homestead and you have to give them sweet porridge with a pat of butter in it on Christmas Eve so they stay with you for the following year.

I bought a ton of gonk-style nisse ornaments when I first went to Denmark perhaps eight years ago, thinking I was ever so original, and then felt really stupid when they were everywhere here within the next few years. They are definitely reaching saturation point now.
Ah interesting! At least yours are authentic and not from The Range 😄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

coconochanel

VIP Member
Haha says on the trees 'selling fast' well they will do when they are £1.50 for a 4ft one and £25 for a 6ft pre lit Habitat one 🤭

• Wow

Meg78

VIP Member
I have to confess to immediately thinking where will the tree go when house hunting 🤭
In my current house I just shift things round, mostly sofas into weird positions 😁
I do this too! I had buyers regret with my current home as there’s just nowhere to place a tree, and last year I was obsessed with a listing for a house I didn’t like the outside of purely as I could imagine how the living room would look at Christmas 🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha