Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Hastaggifted

VIP Member
I really wanted to go to a European Christmas Market. I was looking at strasbourg or Cologne but its so expensive. Maybe I should just go by myself 🤪

Yesterday my almost 16 year old son said he loves Christmas. I hope that's because of all the little things we do! Since he was little we spend a day going to the garden centres and the range to look at all their decorations and then into the cafe for a slice of cake. We've done longleat Santa train and the festival of lights a few times but when we went in 2021 santa was behind a perspex sheet and you weren't even allowed close. Put me off paying all that money so haven't been back since. I might just book the festival of lights, I haven't decided yet.
There's a garden centre here that have Santa's real reindeer. Kids love visiting those! It's free and it's not usually busy at it isn't advertised.
We have a garden centre that does a walk through which is really good with Santa at the end.
Arthur Christmas & The grinch are our favourite Christmas films.
Making "gingerbread" men (shortbread because 2 out of 3 kids and husband don't like gingerbread, weirdos)
I do the Elf but I don't moan all over Facebook about the bastard elves! I just do it for the kids reactions. The younger ones talk about them all year. Their favourite was when they elves drew all over daddy's face.
My daughters birthday is Christmas eve so it's a tricky one 🤪. Around that we mostly spend Christmas eve prepping all the food and the table for Christmas Day.
Norad tracker on the tv, Christmas music playing. Board games etc. Then big bubble bath, new Christmas pyjamas. Carrot, milk and cookie then into bed for the big man.
Then we have to do the check that they are actually asleep. Presents out the loft etc. We've had to set a rule of you can't come out of your room before 5.45 because one year they were up at 4am and I'm not about that Christmas life.
They have to sit on the top step of the stairs while we check he's been. Always my favourite to see their excited faces. Always my favourite photo opportunity too. I don't really have a set Christmas breakfast, but lots of orange juice (the only day it's unlimited 😂) and pastries. They most just eat chocolate anyway.
My daughter thinks Forerro rocher are Christmas chocolates so she gets the big box of those and it's the best present ever 😂
Teenager has requested a big box of lindt balls 😂 must think I'm rich 🤭

• Heart
Reactions: 9

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
On posh advent calendars: I wish diptyque did a smaller version of theirs as >20 candles is just obscene, even if it was like 1 full sized candle a week rather than all the minis? Have found a Japanese pen calendar which looks brill so will probs get that instead!

About to start my annual research spiral into stockings, I’ve never liked anything enough to pull the trigger but need to as this year’s the first my LO is old enough to truly get it.

Does anyone use those cloth advent cals? I’d like something my LO can have forever, a quick google search and they seem to be dominated by the sad beige baby aesthetic! I want something retro 80s Christmas kitsch!
Have a look on Etsy for both?

Lots of non beige handmade options.

1693209668717.png
1693209941440.png

• Heart
  • Wow

BanditHealer

This is the thread for me! I'm not a member on MN but like to follow their Christmas bargain threads. I'm going to start shopping after our holiday this month. I've already got a couple of things booked.

Went into M&S today and they have a small collection of Christmas decorations out already! The best was a disco ball Christmas tree topper, other stuff hit and miss a bit older rather than the fun kitsch stuff they sometimes do? They had giant baubles which my toddler loved but I’m not sure how they’d look on a tree predominantly covered in normal baubles!

• Heart

ohmyreally!

Hi all! Just found this thread.....I love Christmas and we have a new member of the family this year....my brand new nephew (currently 1 week old!).

Really struggling for ideas for my 9 year old son, he is just into computers, hates sports but loves travelling. I know he will ask for a VR headset but I've already said no. Got a few months yet to think about it!

However we have booked a weekend break to Hamburg to take in the Christmas Markets....can't wait!

bongsandstuff

Chatty Member
The price of the snow fairy shower gel this year is infuriating!!! I remember getting the 500g one for £20 last year and now it’s £24? How can they justify that🤦🏻‍♀️

• Wow
  • Sad

Em_

VIP Member
Sorry, I've not read through the thread yet, but I'm looking forward to having a read through. This thread has cheered me up, I hate summer and the thought of Christmas really cheers me up. I can't wait for Christmas!

• Heart

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
last year i kept a list of
gift / price / where i'd hidden it / was it wrapped
for each person so i could keep track and not over buy and it was so helpful! definitely doing the same this year

• Heart

Happy Lady

VIP Member
I usually buy my Xmas cards, wrapping and bags in the January sales, which saves a lot. Bake my cake and write cards in October. Buy prezzies whenever I see anything good, then shop properly on Black Friday. Decorate house and garden 1st December, then put Xmas music on, pour myself a drink and start wrapping. Order food from M&S as soon as able.

I simply lurve Xmas, and enjoy having a laugh on here reading the thread about unwanted presents - if you've never read it, then get a drink and have a giggle.
---

Last edited:

Fancyfeathers

Chatty Member
Yesss I found my people ahhh it’s so nice to be here
I love Christmas planning
I have my 3 kids and brother to get for and I am done the rest can have a card if lucky lol
I’m going to do a hamper as well for them all so looking for small gifts and munch bits to put in them

• Heart

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
I want to change my Christmas tree colour scheme this year. Past few years I’ve had bronze / rose gold. I want bright pink this year 🩷

what do we think the insta huns are doing colour wise / theme this year?
I've got decs in about 6 different colour schemes I need an intervention 🤣

I did bright pink and bright turquoise with flashes of black one year on an all white tree. It sounds really disgusting I know, but it was actually really pretty and festive. So many people commented on it. We're all blunt in my family so I'm sure I would have been told if it was vile 🤣

• Heart

KindnessWins

I can't wait for all the insta hunz putting their gaudy, hideous trees up months in advance, all trying to outdo each other in tackyness 🤣🤣🤣 it's all part of the entertainment
I’m hoping they’ve left the whole Candyland / Whoville theme in 2022! It was god awful and I never saw one tree or scene that looked nice!

• Haha

Em_

VIP Member
I bought this Christmas joke loo roll last year and it was a success. Every time someone went to the toilet, they came back telling us all the joke they had read on the toilet roll while they were peeing. 😅. I bought it for £2 in The Works. I'm definitely getting another one this Christmas 🎄 😁

View attachment 2378818
You've influenced me, this thread is more influential than any influencers are.

• Haha
  • Heart

coconochanel

VIP Member
Thanks everyone for the HC replies(y).
I'e been to disneyworld in Orlando in December and that was great, once you get used to it be sunny, it is magical there.
---
I collected my two trees earlier on. The girl serving me said "2 Christmas trees" in a very patronising way and gave me a snigger, so that wound me up. Once she brought them out and gave me another look, I said "they were only £1.50 each" and she looked at me like I was a nutter. I don't know why I said they were £1.50 and why I felt the need to explain myself.
Here's a photo of one of them, I've not put the stand on or fluffed it out as I wanted to get it back in the box.
View attachment 2382649
Cheeky bitch! you should have said 'if you think thats bad someone on tattle bought 6!'😊

• Haha

ATV2021

VIP Member
I got my upstairs pop up free from Argos in a July once as was like £4 or something. Was back to full price come xmas lol I didn't care that everyone else was buying paddling pools around me 🤣

• Haha

Badirene

VIP Member
I’m loving the printed socks idea, any recommendations for sites to use?
I am a broke mature student so ordered mine on Aliexpress for seven quid :oops:
They were great, and in fairness he wears them every Sunday, and they are washed every week and have worn really well.

This year a friends mum died and she is dealing with selling the family home, all just really difficult, so I was thinking that maybe I could get a photo of the family home done as a watercolour so my friend will still have a piece of her mum's home, if anyone can recommend anything online? I know etsy have a few that will turn a photo into watercolour but if anyone can recommend a shop in particular that would be great.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Em_

VIP Member
We had a support thread last year but it didn’t pick up much traction. I got away with not doing the pranks last yr as my daughter decided her elf was a good elf 😂 she got quite upset if anyone suggested it caused any mischief.
I wish mine would decide that. I didn't see the thread, I'd have joined it.
---
If I did Elf on the shelf after a few days I’d write a letter from the Elf saying Santa needed more help so I’ve gone back to help but I’ll send you a present for Christmas. Then on one of the Xmas gifts I’d write from elf instead of Santa 😅
That's a great idea. I've broken their legs (we now have three a boy and a girl bought for us by the in-laws 😡) and said they can't move for 2 weeks, but that doesn't seem to fly anymore.

• Haha

ChubClubThug

VIP Member
Yes!! This is the other part, feeling like cattle just being churned through a process at their timings doesn’t really appeal either.

Can’t help but wonder if lot of it is just competitive parenting driven by social media? Like in normal times/the real world you can get a ten course tasting menu from a Michelin star restaurant for ~£150. Admittedly sans drinks and ex-London! But how in the month of December does that same £150 buy you a grubby seat on a decommissioned train with tea from one of those church kitchen huge metal tankers and a fox’s biscuit*? It’s mad.

*don’t get me wrong love both those things at a play group that didn’t cost three figures!
Deffo a competitive element to it all these days. It is very easy to get carried away and lose sight of what YOUR family enjoys doing, rather than what you think you should be doing.

I felt like a bit of a crap mum because I didn't do a pantomime, or Disney on ice etc. But I know my money would be wasted because my kid just won't sit there and watch it all.

I booked a grotto a couple of years ago that cost quite a bit and it was awful! It was advertised as festive arts and crafts for the children while they waited for santa, Xmas movies playing on a large screen, free mulled wine, snacks and juice for the kids. We got there on time and then had to wait for like an hr and a half to see santa, we were in the grotto about 3 seconds for a photo and the gift was a £1.00 book from The Works! I was fuming!! 🤣 never will I pay over the odds again.

• Heart

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
I’ve seen a load of Father Christmas experiences have opened booking, makes me excited for Christmas getting closer. I’m just going to take my kid to local garden centre Santa because it’s cheap and she doesn’t know any different 😂 we’re also doing panto and Disney on ice so lots to look forward to!

Reactions: 8