Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Magee

VIP Member
Tesco also fully embracing the early prep! Personally I think it’s too early for chutney making but I’m certainly thinking about buying and putting away non-perishables. I’m not usually this way inclined with Xmas food but seen as we will be hosting, I could do with spreading the cost a little!

Attachments

Reactions: 10

Hastaggifted

VIP Member
I bought my first Christmas presents 🤭 Costco had a teeny pile of them and Grogu was the last one. My son will love them.
Its a first for me buying presents in June 🤭
received_2155952187937201.jpeg
received_707591664509927.jpeg

• Heart

SpindleWhorl

VIP Member
I always have a real tree but i despise putting the lights on. Wish we could somehow breed Christmas trees to be naturally pre-lit

• Haha

EnoughAlready

VIP Member
Also not a Gonk fan. They make me think of Noddy and his chum in the car. Whose name escapes me currently.

I'm genuinely tempted by this advent calendar - https://www.bonnemaman.co.uk/advent. If it's still there after payday, I may indulge. The chestnut spread sounds 🤤

Alright lads Big ears here!😉😆 I think the gonk idea was meant to be a small part of the Scandi theme that just took off for some bizarre reason! The halloween ones are bloody everywhere this year too, its a no from me!

Attachments

• Haha

Airysairy

Gonks - do we love them? Or hate them? I do have a few but I don't put them out every year. They seem to have gained in popularity the last few years
We spend a lot of time in Denmark and there you find loads. The nisse is the folkloric character that is represented by the gonk style, with no eyes but the big nose. Apparently the nisse is like a brownie: they do good deeds around the homestead and you have to give them sweet porridge with a pat of butter in it on Christmas Eve so they stay with you for the following year.

I bought a ton of gonk-style nisse ornaments when I first went to Denmark perhaps eight years ago, thinking I was ever so original, and then felt really stupid when they were everywhere here within the next few years. They are definitely reaching saturation point now.

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
loved this year's summer weather bc i've been able to still sleep in my pjs. it's only been 'crap' in the sense that everyone expects sun for six weeks straight and then there's a collective disappointment when britain starts britaining. autumn is nice bc you know what to expect and it's a nice surprise when the sun pops out but it's still windy enough to not be sweaty asf

coconochanel

VIP Member
I was flicking through the channels last night and on QVC they were flogging Kelly Hoppen Christmas decorations. The presenters were dressed all Christmassy and the studio was decorated. It was raining outside and I could almost kid myself it was winter!
I think its Christmas all day today on QVC.

• Wow

KindnessWins

Might be controversial, but giving them a list to buy from might help if they follow it.
---
Tell them you have too many toys each year, and would prefer cash if they wanted to give something.
We set up a photo stream with gift ideas for each kid and my siblings kids. Then add our parents in and they get to chose what gift they will buy and then my siblings do the same. It means that the kids are getting something the parents know they will like and use.

We set a budget, so this year we decided £60 max per child (there’s 8 children between us) and I’ll put 4 gifts (per kid) into the photo stream and my parents will chose which one to get. The other 3 gifts are then bought by my 3 siblings. Then they do they same for their children.

Our parents also give stockings and usually fill them with chocolate, colouring books, etc.

This has been working well for us for the past 6 years.

mrs.darcy

VIP Member
I got my wrapping paper from Wilko last year, really lovely brown paper with a woodland theme. I made all my gift tags, 2 layers, woodland animal on the bottom and then a snowflake on the vellum overlay.

• Heart

knivesnflowers

VIP Member
What would you guys put in a useful xmas Eve box
i try and think about it as what they'd use throughout the day, even if you're giving on xmas eve they'll have chance to use it in groundhog week
  • mug w hot choc sachets and marshmallows
  • nice bubble bath or shower gel - if i have a beauty advent i'd raid that for minis
  • hair mask or face mask
  • mini votive candle or tealights - yankee do some nice xmas scents
  • pjs and/or fluffy socks
  • a box mix for baking - did this for cousins with allergies but just festive cupcake cases and sprinkles from home bargains
  • xmas tree ornament - i usually use them as gift tags to keep
  • book - reading, puzzle or colouring but might need to get pencils too
  • alcoholic drink - mini bottle or cans but baileys would go w the hot choc
  • scratch card
  • snacks - nice biscuits / mini panettone / mince pies
  • maybe a £10 just eat or deliveroo voucher too depending on budget

I'm spending Xmas eve and morning alone, so any tips to make it less miserable would be appreciated please
make yourself an xmas eve box! no rush to enjoy it all and include some little craft activities

• Heart

mrs.darcy

VIP Member
I'm having an accidental Bailey's, which is usually my Christmas tipple.

Just as well I work from home, though I may not function too well if I have much more 🤭

• Haha

Hotel_breakfast

Hopefully this Christmas we will be hosting for the first time in our newly finished extension! We've moved out for 6 months and due to move back in next month, had a lot of building work done and it's been very hard at times (also been pregnant and just had a csection so will be moving back in with a 1 month old and nearly 4 year old!) But the thought of being able to have a house suitable for hosting a big family Christmas and other parties has been motivating for us. I will probably start planning more in September once we're settled back in. It will be a Christmas on a budget cos of the renovation works and I'm on maternity pay, but I'm more looking forward to being able to make family memories 🥰

• Heart

Meg78

VIP Member
Do you guys have any plans for the run up to Christmas?
Too many already! And we’re still going!
So far we’ve booked:
-Wreath making afternoon with prosecco
-Chester zoo lanterns
-Drive thru Santa
-Santa train ride
-Dunham Massey lights
-Kids Christmas Disco Party
-The Muppets Christmas Carol with Live Orchestra

• Heart

PamDoove

Does anyone do any Christmassy crafts? My local branch of The Works have started to get their Christmas Craft stock in. I always like the idea of making things but have zero imagination 🙈
CFB23CB2-A65E-4F70-B230-C0F81A477243.jpeg

• Wow
We don’t have children but I wish they would have Santa Grotto’s for adults. I absolutely love everything about Xmas and that includes wanting to sit on Santa’s lap and do activities 😫

• Haha