Childfree by choice #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'd rather get a pumpkin from the supermarket and save the 'field day' for an apple harvest fest or something to treat myself to some cider 😂 I don't remember pumpkin picking being a thing until the last few years, not sure if I was just living under a rock before then.

Reactions: 5
Our pumpkin patch was quite good. Churro stands, wood fired pizzas, toasting marshmallows. Poly tunnels with crafty bits for the kids so they could make little halloween crafts for a few pounds. Bouncy castles. Tractor rides for the kids. Hay bale stacks. A veg cannon to hit targets 😅

We've gone every year now for a while but it is a huge money making extravaganza. No doubt about it. We go to the same farm that we go to for lambing 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 3
But did they even go to a pumpkin patch if they didn’t post it on social media?!
People only do anything these days so they can post it!!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
The pumpkin thing annoys me as most people don't do anything with them! They just rot. They could make soups, pie, ravioli etc. But nope just get a photo of their little goblin with it and that's it.

Reactions: 10
I'd rather get a pumpkin from the supermarket and save the 'field day' for an apple harvest fest or something to treat myself to some cider 😂 I don't remember pumpkin picking being a thing until the last few years, not sure if I was just living under a rock before then.
It's just another example of an American tradition being copied - along with baby showers and gender reveals.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
The pumpkin thing annoys me as most people don't do anything with them! They just rot. They could make soups, pie, ravioli etc. But nope just get a photo of their little goblin with it and that's it.
Back in my day we didn't have pumpkins, we had a swede my dad had to hollow out with a soup spoon🤣 it's definitely an Instagram thing, it gets a lot more likes than photographing the kids picking one from Tesco!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
i don’t think it was until Instagram became a thing. Tbh there are pumpkin patches now that act like friggin winter wonderland! We never even carved pumpkins when I was a kid.
Costumes are another one. I had ONE costume from Asda and a plastic pot with a pumpkin face on it. Total cost was about a tenner and then it went in the dress up box for play. Can’t be dealing with these family costumes 😂🤦🏻‍♀️

eta: yes those costumes that you couldn’t stand to close to a fire with because they are more flame retardant than bleeping petrol. Good vibes

Reactions: 3
i was born in 95 and i never even went trick or treating, let alone carved a pumpkin or did any Halloween activities for that matter.

same at Christmas. I got a chocolate advent calendar, visited Santa when I was tiny and got a stocking and that was it. No elf on the shelf, no fancy advent calendars, no trips out to light shows etc no Christmas Eve box.

even in the summer holidays, I went on a caravan holiday for a week with my grandparents and that was it. No endless days out to the cinema, zoos, theme parks etc I had to learn to deal with boredom.

Reactions: 19
i was born in 95 and i never even went trick or treating, let alone carved a pumpkin or did any Halloween activities for that matter.

same at Christmas. I got a chocolate advent calendar, visited Santa when I was tiny and got a stocking and that was it. No elf on the shelf, no fancy advent calendars, no trips out to light shows etc no Christmas Eve box.

even in the summer holidays, I went on a caravan holiday for a week with my grandparents and that was it. No endless days out to the cinema, zoos, theme parks etc I had to learn to deal with boredom.
Exactly. Kids are spoilt these days and it's all down to parents competing to be the best parent and posting all over social media.

I think its damaging to them in the long run. They'll grow up needy and unable to entertain themselves. They will be insufferable needing to be entertained and needing constant attention.

Reactions: 15

What’s a Christmas Eve box?

What’s a Christmas Eve box?
Basically a box full of extra gifts given the day before....tonnes of presents. Usually have pj's/film/food etc (not a thing we had growing up AT ALL)

My own Xmas eve box to myself is a takeaway and a bottle of wine 😆😆

Reactions: 9

When I was a kid, if I was bored, the answer was 'go and read a book'. I guess there's a lot of pressure on parents to be fair, you wouldn't want your kid to be the one going without when parents are posting all this stuff on social media all the time, but I do find it hilarious when parents are posting hundreds of expensive presents they've got their 1 year old or something and you can tell the kid is actually more interested in the wrapping paper/cardboard boxes 😂

• Sad
Reactions: 8
I’ve literally never heard of a Xmas Eve box, is Xmas day not enough for kids anymore?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Exactly. Kids are spoilt these days and it's all down to parents competing to be the best parent and posting all over social media.

I think its damaging to them in the long run. They'll grow up needy and unable to entertain themselves. They will be insufferable needing to be entertained and needing constant attention.
I completely agree, kids expectations are set so high these days. I've posted before about someone I know who did a big thing like cinema, bowling, etc EVERY day of the school holidays. The minute they had to stay in they were bored to tears and they had no idea how to entertain themselves. The mum was always selling their toys because they didn't play with them. They were never home to play with them!

I know things were different then, but growing up in the 80s/90s, a day out was a trip to the park with a picnic and maybe a day at a theme park in summer paid for by the social club at dad's work. I looked forward to school holidays as it meant a week where I could craft, play barbies, play out with my friends, spend tons with cousins/grandparents. There just wasn't "stuff" to do then. And there wasn't this need to show off and compete with friends.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.