Childfree by choice #5

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think to choose a child free life and live it successfully really does require interests to occupy your time, particularly as you get older. They don’t have to be wild and exciting interests, but as your more and more of your circle of friends have families of their own you need something in place beyond coming home and chilling on the sofa with the same person every night which feels very different in your late 40s than it does in your late 20s.
why would it feel very different? spending time doing what i enjoy with my favourite person in the world? can't think of anything better.

Reactions: 18
I just want to rant a bit. There’s an Instagrammer that has just announced her pregnancy after previously saying her / partner didn’t want children and didn’t see it in their future. That’s fine, I have no issue with people choosing differently.

But omg the comments on the thread 🫠 “I knew she would change her mind!” “I said she would want kids and now she does” “I knew it”. Like…. Stop.

This narrative that all women who say they don’t want children will “eventually change their mind” is so damaging and frustrating!

• Sick
  • Angry
Reactions: 24
I just want to rant a bit. There’s an Instagrammer that has just announced her pregnancy after previously saying her / partner didn’t want children and didn’t see it in their future. That’s fine, I have no issue with people choosing differently.

But omg the comments on the thread 🫠 “I knew she would change her mind!” “I said she would want kids and now she does” “I knew it”. Like…. Stop.

This narrative that all women who say they don’t want children will “eventually change their mind” is so damaging and frustrating!

This is annoying for so many reasons. One cause of what you said and also because she may not actually have changed her mind but fell pregnant accidentally and didn't want an abortion (this happened to a woman I know!)
It's really nobodies business where or not they changed their minds. They are entitled to do what they want.

Reactions: 10

Let’s hope it works out better for this instagrammed than it did for Kate lawler (she has a thread on here somewhere), who didn’t want a kid, her husband did - they did a podcast about it where everyone basically told her to have a kid and she did… her instagram/tattle thread is just 🫣

• Sad
Reactions: 4
This is annoying for so many reasons. One cause of what you said and also because she may not actually have changed her mind but fell pregnant accidentally and didn't want an abortion (this happened to a woman I know!)
It's really nobodies business where or not they changed their minds. They are entitled to do what they want.
I agree.

someone I work with has always said that her adult daughter doesn’t want kids. Recently her adult daughter became pregnant despite being on contraception. She’s decided to have an abortion and it’s been really difficult for her as she didn’t want to do it, but she didn’t feel she could parent the child either.

• Heart
I think to choose a child free life and live it successfully really does require interests to occupy your time, particularly as you get older. They don’t have to be wild and exciting interests, but as your more and more of your circle of friends have families of their own you need something in place beyond coming home and chilling on the sofa with the same person every night which feels very different in your late 40s than it does in your late 20s.
Not to be a weirdo but I was curious that someone child free would say this. So I had a look at your other posts and it seems you have a child.

Which makes it quite odd that you’d come to a child free thread to tell us that we need to get some interests (but they shouldn’t just be watching TV or chilling at home) to have a successful child free life…😑

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 49
People with kids can actually bore off telling us we need interests 😂 isn’t that literally an admission that your kids are in lieu of your personality? Boring

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 53
TBH the people I know with the narrowest interests are parents whose children have grown up and then moved away. These people basically put their eggs in one basket and hoped their children would live on the same street and be round for tea every day, and failed to make any other friends or cultivate real hobbies. Now they sit around moaning they’re lonely, don’t do anything and no-one visits them.
I agree with you in that I personally need a revolving door of varied hobbies and interests to stay happy, but that goes for many parents - driving your kids to activities and gossiping with yummy mummies outside school gates aren’t hobbies and won’t last into your 60s either.

Having a child doesn’t suddenly make you interesting and mean the rest of your life is “sorted”. I’m not really a family person and don’t really get why they are meant to be special or I should bother to see them much, I do it mostly out of obligation and much prefer seeing my friends who I have things in common with. If my parents had relied on me to provide them with entertainment into their 60s they would be sorely disappointed because I visit only when summoned every 3 months!

My in-laws have that constant contact “famalam” (BOAK) relationship that I find really suffocating, and quite often I think they need to get a life rather than reading every single notification from their adult children on their apple watches.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced the joy of having a sofa. Chilling on the sofa, napping on the sofa, reading on the sofa.

It really is different when its your own sofa. Nothing else compares to the love you feel, once you feel those cushions in your arms for the first time, life takes on a different perspective 💞

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 57
Not to be a weirdo but I was curious that someone child free would say this. So I had a look at your other posts and it seems you have a child.

Which makes it quite odd that you’d come to a child free thread to tell us that we need to get some interests (but they shouldn’t just be watching TV or chilling at home) to have a successful child free life…😑
What a sad person 😂 imagine commenting on a thread on a subject that you know nothing about 😂😂

I feel sorry for those who haven't experienced the joy of having a sofa. Chilling on the sofa, napping on the sofa, reading on the sofa.

It really is different when its your own sofa. Nothing else compares to the love you feel, once you feel those cushions in your arms for the first time, life takes on a different perspective 💞
I agree. I love my corner couch more than my husband 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
People with kids can actually bore off telling us we need interests 😂 isn’t that literally an admission that your kids are in lieu of your personality? Boring
Maybe they misunderstood when we were talking about the dread we feel when friends start having kids. It’s not all about us suddenly feeling lonely or left out, it’s about the absolute bore fest that is having to listen to them talk about their kids, or even worse having to spend time with the kids. It’s like being forced to have a very small new friend that you don’t want.
It didn’t mean we need a replacement for friends.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 21

Which makes it quite odd that you’d come to a child free thread to tell us that we need to get some interests (but they can’t include watching TV) to have a successful child free life…😑
Eurgh another child haver lurker and poster

Reactions: 16
On the kids being someones entire personality train
I'm on a course right now and we all had to show something meaningful to us, all lighthearted. Literally everyone shown pics of their kids. I shown my ft tuesdays cup from vegas and said it combined three of my fave things - sun, day drinking and gambling!

Can't cope with parents who's entire personality is their kid.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 33
On the kids being someones entire personality train
I'm on a course right now and we all had to show something meaningful to us, all lighthearted. Literally everyone shown pics of their kids. I shown my ft tuesdays cup from vegas and said it combined three of my fave things - sun, day drinking and gambling!

Can't cope with parents who's entire personality is their kid.
Like when you have to tell everyone an interesting thing about yourself and everyone just says the amount of kids they have!

• Haha
Reactions: 16
Like when you have to tell everyone an interesting thing about yourself and everyone just says the amount of kids they have!
I was asked to do a bio for something and saw others like 'Sandra is married with two kids'...okay? And? Perhaps I should have written 'judgejohndeed is a daughter, sister, and fiance' :unsure:

Reactions: 14

I follow an Instagrammer thread on here about someone who lives a totally vacuous life (had to check it wasn't the same one😂) and despite the fact that she's said over and over that she doesn't want kids, it regularly comes up in the thread that she might be pregnant or secretly wants kids. It's really boring, some people literally have no imagination.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
Have we been infiltrated by a person with a child who is telling us what to do with our time? Again?! 😟

I love this thread but it is driving me mad to have to question every poster's intentions. Is our title not direct enough?

• Heart
Reactions: 22

ANNDDD you can have whatever sofa you want cause you don't have to kid proof your house. No 'can't have white', 'can't have leather' blah blah blah

There should be one of those tests you have to pass to join here proving you are child free, like those I Am Not A Robot ones!!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
My mother has been a judgy witch all her life about people without kids even though two of her own kids don’t have any. She’s always remarked into retirement that the neighbors across the street chose not to have kids (she has no idea whether they chose to or not, but she assumes) and now they are lonely. My mum’s husband (my abusive dad) died last week, and where are her kids to support her? I live thousands of miles away in another country, and the other two live an hour away and are resentful about visiting her and supporting her. Meanwhile those poor lonely childless people across the street get regular visits from their nieces and nephews and friends. Don’t bleeping assume your kids will be there for you, because it’s more than likely that they won’t. 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 30
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.