Childfree by Choice #2

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I recently found out someone I know is pregnant, the baby was a happy accident (I don’t know what the correct term for this is - not planned? But she’s happy about it, not throwing shade here at all) and they’re moving city to buy a house. But the partner wants to carry on commuting to this city, so he’ll be doing well over an hour there and then again back in the evening. She’s already said she’s worried that she’ll never see him and she doesn’t want to be stuck alone with the baby all the time. It makes no sense to me people like this tbh, he’s obviously not going to be there and she’s already saying she’s not going to be happy about it? I feel vicariously nervous for her tbh
I don't think a 1hr commute is bad at all tbh.

Yeah same, the thought of pregnancy is literally horrific to me. The idea of something crawling inside me makes me feel ill. And as someone who has body dysmorphia issues, the idea of gaining weight and it being out of my control is awful.

I’m also not keen on pregnant stomachs, no offence to anyone but they freak me out. I remember there was a tv advert not too long ago which just focused on a pregnant woman’s stomach and she’s rubbing shower gel all over it. I always had to look away 😬😬
I agree, I think pregnant bellies look gross 😂🤢

Reactions: 6
People who hate the sight of pregnant stomachs might have tokophobia. My friend had it and had to go for hypnotherapy sessions to help it get better because she was desperate for kids but was too scared to get pregnant because of how sick/weird/shaky she felt if she saw a pregnant woman. She still isn't completely OK but she's so much better and now has 3 children.

I'm not sick/scared/disgusted or anything by the sight of a pregnant belly but I personally would hate to be pregnant. Pregnancy and labour seem like the worst bits! If I wanted kids I'd obviously just deal with it as women do when they want kids but it does seem like a bit of an ordeal!

The thought of childbirth scares me. It’s bad enough a man going in me to then have an actual human come OUT of me.
TMI - PERIODS, PAIN

Sometimes when I'm near the end of a period and I take my tampon out it's quite 'dry' as my period is so light and Jesus bleeping christ does it hurt taking it out so I really don't think I could cope with childbirth. 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 14
Yeh I know our bodies are built for it but something about birth just doesn't sit right with me. I'm a mooncup user and even pulling that thing out is uncomfortable, let alone a solid 8 pound human 🤢

Its the people looking at you and the extra attention too. And agreed with the poster who mentioned body changes. I'm body conscious enough that is consumes me sometimes without the unpredictable and sometimes irreversible effects pregnancy has.

Reactions: 10
My brother thought that the best way to change my view about children was to watch a video about childbirth. Let me say that I never ran faster to the toilet to 🤮

My hips are small and I have dyspareunia. So the fact that a human being would get out of my body would cause me to stay a wheelchair for weeks. I'd probably stay on it for few extra months just for the trauma😂

Reactions: 1
My brother thought that the best way to change my view about children was to watch a video about childbirth. Let me say that I never ran faster to the toilet to 🤮

My hips are small and I have dyspareunia. So the fact that a human being would get out of my body would cause me to stay a wheelchair for weeks. I'd probably stay on it for few extra months just for the trauma😂
How the bloody hell would that help! Women who WANT children would be put off a bit by that never mind women who don't want them! It's like someone saying they don't want to climb a mountain and someone trying to convince them by showing them photos of people's injuries they'd got while climbing the mountain 🙈

Reactions: 3

I genuinely don’t get the entertainment appeal of dramas like Call the Midwife or reality shows like One Born Every Minute. Just … no.

Reactions: 9
I genuinely don’t get the entertainment appeal of dramas like Call the Midwife or reality shows like One Born Every Minute. Just … no.
I remember seeing one episode where the head like popped out really violently and when I tell you my fanny CRINGED 🤢🤢🤢

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I remember seeing one episode where the head like popped out really violently and when I tell you my fanny CRINGED 🤢🤢🤢
Well thanks for that … 🤣

I just can’t imagine why anyone would agree to go on OBEM. I get that there’s probably an educational value and it’s healthy to be open about birth and stuff, but bl**dy hell, your first day back in the office after maternity leave is going to be a bit awkward.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Stayed the night with friends a few weeks ago. They have a toddler (very cute). But trying to get it to eat, cleaning up after it, potty training, playing with it, trying to get it out of the house, bathing it, the battle at bedtime. And then doing it again day after day 😵💫😵💫😵💫 I know there are benefits to having children like them bringing joy (???) but I just don’t get why you’d voluntarily do it 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 19
Kids will make you question your will to live😓. I try babysitting my nephews and nieces from time to time to allow their parents to have a "date night". I am quickly out of breath trying to run after them. It feels like an intense workout. Trying to stop one from eating batteries, catching the other one who jumped from the table, changing their clothes or making sure that the baby is still breathing.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Kids will make you question your will to live😓. I try babysitting my nephews and nieces from time to time to allow their parents to have a "date night". I am quickly out of breath trying to run after them. It feels like an intense workout. Trying to stop one from eating batteries, catching the other one who jumped from the table, changing their clothes or making sure that the baby is still breathing.
It’s never that bad when it’s your own kids doing this because we’re used to it. I have one child but when I see other kids I think omg I couldn’t cope.

My sister facetimed in tears this morning because my nephew was being so horrendous. He was sat on the toilet completely starkers apparently, and all we could hear was the most horrendous temper tantrum because he didn't want to get dressed. Then he did. Then he didn't. Then he wanted mammy, then he didn't. Then he did. My ovaries shrivelled up at the mere thought of having to cope with this myself 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 20
I don’t understand how parents put up with some of the nonsense. When I’m out and about and I see kids hitting their parents, there’s just no way I’d allow that. I never hit my parents as a child and there’s no way I would allow a child to do it to me.

same as the screaming, throwing things and just generally being bratty and sulky. My kids would get nothing if they behaved that way, that’s the way I was brought up.

I do think some parents make a rod for their own back by allowing their children to behave in such a way and then giving in to all their whims. I would have been karate kicked through the window if I’d screamed in my mum’s face and hit her!

• Haha
Reactions: 24
I don’t understand how parents put up with some of the nonsense. When I’m out and about and I see kids hitting their parents, there’s just no way I’d allow that. I never hit my parents as a child and there’s no way I would allow a child to do it to me.

same as the screaming, throwing things and just generally being bratty and sulky. My kids would get nothing if they behaved that way, that’s the way I was brought up.

I do think some parents make a rod for their own back by allowing their children to behave in such a way and then giving in to all their whims. I would have been karate kicked through the window if I’d screamed in my mum’s face and hit her!
My nephew was pretending to be Hulk the other day and over enthusiastically punched me in the stomach. I asked him to not do that as it hurt and his lip came out, nostrils started flaring and fixed me this hard stare. He just couldn't believe that if had the audacity to stop him from doing something! I asked him not to play with a glass ornament a bit later and got the same look accompanied by tears and an "I don't like you" I'm hoping it's just a phase!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
My nephew was pretending to be Hulk the other day and over enthusiastically punched me in the stomach. I asked him to not do that as it hurt and his lip came out, nostrils started flaring and fixed me this hard stare. He just couldn't believe that if had the audacity to stop him from doing something! I asked him not to play with a glass ornament a bit later and got the same look accompanied by tears and an "I don't like you" I'm hoping it's just a phase!
Oh wow! I couldn’t even cope! I remember when I used to look after my nephew and my sister was a total doormat and she let him walk all over her.

I had to shout at him once because he ran at me and tried to kick me because I asked him to put his shoes on! He used to hate me because I was the only one who would discipline him!

Reactions: 7
Oh wow! I couldn’t even cope! I remember when I used to look after my nephew and my sister was a total doormat and she let him walk all over her.

I had to shout at him once because he ran at me and tried to kick me because I asked him to put his shoes on! He used to hate me because I was the only one who would discipline him!
My sister is quite firm with him but she definitely picks her battles which means cetrtain behaviours are starting to escalate.

I completely understand that feeling of being hated because you're the only one to discipline him. My parents are really soft with him... Grandad encourages rough and tumble and grandma hates saying no! So it's big bad me that ends up being the one to reprimand him, which he hates. But he knows what's expected of him by me as when we're on our own together, he's pretty well behaved. And if he's doing something he knows is wrong, he'll give me a sidelong glance to check if I'm watching 🤣

I think I'd struggle to be a parent if me and my partner/family were not on the same page discipline wise. It would kill me if my child preferred someone else because I was the strict one!

Reactions: 5
Just found this thread & I love it!

I am 39 & married to the love of my life - we have an amazing life mostly, both work decent jobs, we have a good social life, comfortable house, car, buy what we want when we want, no responsibility at all. I would not change it for anything. I've known since I was a teenager I didn't want children. Had an abortion at 21 because I knew it I didn't want to be a mum. People have always said to me I would change my mind, but I have genuinely never ever felt like I am missing out at all. We have 2 god daughters, 8 nieces & 6 nephews - that is plenty enough small people in my life thank you very much!

My only sadness is that I feel like my best friend and I are growing apart - she is the mother of my god daughters. I feel like i no longer relate to her life, and she probably can't relate to mine. That makes me really sad.

• Heart
Reactions: 32
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.