Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
On the topic of IVF, I know a few couples who have IVF babies - not a single one has had a simple pregnancy, or laboured naturally and normally. Science messing with a body who is naturally saying it is not able to carry a baby is never going to go well.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Life's unfair and it means some of us have health conditions, some of us are infertile, some of us end up in the care system. Not sure free IVF necessarily makes things "fair".

Perhaps instead of IVF being made available on the NHS, that money could go towards adoption or fostering costs for those people who aren't able to conceive.

Reactions: 16
It's probably a different case entirely but I feel the same way about surrogacy. Exploiting and paying a woman for her body to birth a child does not sit right with me.

• Heart
Reactions: 27
On the topic of IVF, I know a few couples who have IVF babies - not a single one has had a simple pregnancy, or laboured naturally and normally. Science messing with a body who is naturally saying it is not able to carry a baby is never going to go well.
As I’ve never tried to have a baby I have no idea whether my PCOS has affected my fertility. I do often wonder if me wanting to be childfree is a way of my body saying you can’t have children, don’t mess with nature.

Reactions: 9
It's probably a different case entirely but I feel the same way about surrogacy. Exploiting and paying a woman for her body to birth a child does not sit right with me.
Guess that strays into similar arguments as sex work. If it's their choice to do that then who we are to say they shouldn't be able to do it?

Reactions: 4
Guess that strays into similar arguments as sex work. If it's their choice to do that then who we are to say they shouldn't be able to do it?
Agree with @Mamacita - absolutely wouldn't catch me dead offering myself up for surrogacy but if other women are happy to do so and is being financially compensated, you do you boo! Don't think anyone's being "exploited" in that situation, all consensual.

Reactions: 6
I can't comprehend asking another woman to carry and give birth to a baby for me. Pregnancy and childbirth isn't without risk, and asking someone to potentially put their life in danger or take the risk of being left with life-long physical damage, just because I want something seems incredibly selfish.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14

It is inherently cruel to take a newborn baby away from its Mother as soon as it's born. Not only is the woman exploited, so is the child. It can have devastating effects on children growing up. Yes, you could say the same about adoption to an extent, but that is usually due to varying circumstances and that the Mother genuinely cannot cope. To bring a baby into the world as a transaction is absolutely disgusting IMVHO.

Reactions: 21
It is inherently cruel to take a newborn baby away from its Mother as soon as it's born. Not only is the woman exploited, so is the child. It can have devastating effects on children growing up. Yes, you could say the same about adoption to an extent, but that is usually due to varying circumstances and that the Mother genuinely cannot cope. To bring a baby into the world as a transaction is absolutely disgusting IMVHO.
Yeah I guess I didn't consider that point, only looked at the women's bodies argument. Agree with this.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I know, and I would say I'm pro sex work. I suppose bringing a baby and serious potential health impacts into it changes my view. As others have said, pregnancy isn't without risk and it's damaging to take a newborn away from their mother/carrier(?). I would imagine post-partum depression is a big problem with surrogates too. I find it very hard to believe that you wouldn't become attached to the baby you've carried for 9 months. The whole thing just feels a bit cruel to me.

It also seems like surrogacy is being used for convenience and vanity now too with so many of the Hollywood celebs opting for it. I'm convinced a lot of them use it because they don't want to deal with weight gain or a changed post-partum body, but they're happy for other women to carry the load (literally) for them.

Reactions: 9
Weirdly I’d happily be a surrogate if my brother or a very close friend asked…but maybe I’m alone in this!

Reactions: 4
I don't agree with surrogacy at all and unfortunately the vast majority of sex workers aren't doing it by choice. They're trafficked or pimped.

• Heart
Reactions: 22
In the comments of a mental health video, I saw someone write "My kids cured my suicidality, they gave me purpose, I still get depressed but nowhere near as bad as it used to be" and I'm so confused lol.

First of all, why have kids if you were actively suicidal, and secondly, writing this on a mental health advice video is wild? Granted, it didn't say people should do the same, but it's such a bullshit take on mental health and a very weird weight to put on her kids' shoulders. I feel like some Victorian physician possessed this person and now she's going around telling other women to get sea air and have babies to cure their melancholia and hysteria. I don't even know what to say.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 20
In the comments of a mental health video, I saw someone write "My kids cured my suicidality, they gave me purpose, I still get depressed but nowhere near as bad as it used to be" and I'm so confused lol.

First of all, why have kids if you were actively suicidal, and secondly, writing this on a mental health advice video is wild? Granted, it didn't say people should do the same, but it's such a bullshit take on mental health and a very weird weight to put on her kids' shoulders. I feel like some Victorian physician possessed this person and now she's going around telling other women to get sea air and have babies to cure their melancholia and hysteria. I don't even know what to say.
I hope her kids never find that out because it could make them scared to do stuff like move away.

Reactions: 11
I don't have a maternal bone in my body (except when it comes to cats) but I do worry when I see really young children walking by themselves to school on my way to work.

My route is full of four way crossings at really busy intersections and I routinely see a little boy (probs around 7ish) riding his scooter on his own through all these crossings and another young lad around the same age.

I know it seems that most parents coddle their kids way too much on social media but then there's the other extreme like this. I understand parents have to work etc. but it just seems so dangerous. Not even just because of traffic but because of strangers out there. I find myself watching them and making sure they cross okay!

Reactions: 14
I was out last night in a craft ale type pub, left to go home at about 10pm and spotted a group of people sitting drinking with a newborn baby in a car seat on the table!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 19
I am sick of seeing people whining about the cost of child care and looking their free hours etc you knew the cost of things like this before you had a child so quit whining about it

• Heart
Reactions: 31
I am sick of seeing people whining about the cost of child care and looking their free hours etc you knew the cost of things like this before you had a child so quit whining about it
The same people who would happily pay more to have their dogs looked after per hour than their children!

Reactions: 7