Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
This made me laugh. Cash should always be accepted by a business.

I was at a concert last weekend, at the merch stand, it was often taking 3/4 attempts to put card payments through because they couldn't get WiFi signal. It's a joke. It wouldn't have been so bad if they didn't go on to these WiFi card readers, never used to have this problem. But places need to take cash as an alternative for things like this.

Reactions: 6

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
Websites all around the world have been targeted for the past few months ... maybe they're testing the waters first? Nobody really knows "when" unfortunately, but we all need to be prepared.
I made a list before. The increased frequency is what you need to be aware of.

1. Anhalt-Bitterfeld a small town that could not send out welfare payments.

2. JBS meat distributors- (the largest company)
3.Australian newspapers HQ
4.NYC trains were attempted.
5.Coop supermakets in Sweden- they had to close over 300 shops.
6.Ireland's HSE
7.American colonial oil pipelines.

• Wow

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
These days I always ask in most shops, if they accept cash payments. If they don't, I do not buy anything from them. The exception being, if it is an expensive item.
A useful mantra to adopt is -
If you won't accept my cash, you won't receive my custom.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member

That appears to be what we are heading towards bit by bit. Businesses using covid as an excuse to expect you to pay by card when there is no evidence cash handling is dangerous (if you think it is I will happily take your money off you). Around eight million people in the UK dependent on paying on cash. Many more of us trying to save cash from being obsolete because it's easier to budget, easier to know how much you've spent, you know you haven't been overcharged (like looking at online banking to see your £2 drink you got charged a fiver for) and don't like paying on card for such small priced items like when in Greggs and someone buys their £1 sausage roll on card. I hate card only self checkouts putting people out of work so in a supermarket I always get served by a real person and pay cash.
Yeah. I've used cash almost Exclusively throughout corona as I did before and would like it always to be an option but it's just a matter of time before we're cashless. I never thought I'd say it but when I have had to use card I did see the pros like recently thinking I'd lost my purse with the added worry of all my cards in there. It got me thinking about using my Google pay but then you can easily lose your phone too 😬
Another thing, my purse weighs a ton with coins. Also there would be less victims of crime.
It'll be a micro chip in the hand in future progressing through to paying for items through linking our brains to computers, by then people will probably be hybrid AI/human and we'll be dust.

I remember on the 1/6/2018 visa went down for a day, just 24 hours. I will never forget that day it’s etched on my memory, because I work in financial services and we just call it Hell. People phoning in tears, screaming at us, threatening us, “children can’t eat”, “my cars broke down”,”I’m stranded overseas”, Help me, help ME, HELP ME”.

24 hours. Just saying.

You want to pay by electronic means that’s cool, your choice. But surely every system needs a backup that doesn’t rely on machines?
I remember this day very well too! Massively affected my job. And then I couldn't get home because I didn't have any petrol and couldn't pay for it.

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
If it’s under £100 I pay cash.
I hate tipping on card too. How do we know it goes to staff members? And not just to the big corporation bosses.
We went to Stockholm a few years back and so many places didn’t accept cash. I was baffled. Paying on card for a bottle of water etc.
Yes in two years time Sweden will be the first cashless country in the world 100% digital transactions :(

• Wow
  • Sad

BearOnChair

Small businesses will always prefer cash, so there is less paper trail, especially if their sales aren't recorded too professionally and electronically. Because cash sales means some can "accidentally" not be declared for revenue/profit/tax purposes, like many taxi drivers have been doing for decades and other cash in hand jobs.
A small business can spend the cash at other businesses without it loosing any value eg the wholesalers which is why they prefer it. Otherwise you pay to take the payment and then pay for banking services once its in your business account. As with all these things it's the small businesses that loose out in a cashless society.

Reactions: 5

emm

VIP Member
It’s maybe easier for them with tax returns but it’s not superior. So long as they give you a receipt it should be easy for them to complete their tax return anyway.

Everyone’s different with money and I don’t begrudge anyone who prefers electronic payments but I don’t think a cashless society would work for me and many others. I only really use my card for bigger transactions where I’d feel unsafe carrying a large amount of money. I also feel like a lot of people miss out on tips when you don’t pay with cash like delivery drivers, hairdressers, restaurant staff etc. I know some industry’s have included a tip option by card but many people are probably going to be more generous if you’ve got change in your purse than rounding it off to the nearest pound or something for a card fee if that makes sense.
I think often with giving electronic tips the money just ends up going to the company, I know people who have worked in restaurants like this

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member

So hardly anyone wants a completely cashless society so that's good to know. I could cope cashless but wouldn't want to. It's worrying how many couldn't cope with being cashless according to the survey.

Glaschelle

VIP Member
I'm quite uneasy about this cashless society. Me and the old dear were in Blackpool recently and they don't take money for tickets at the Tower anymore. However they're more than happy for you to pump coins into their slot machines!!!

And we're going to our local theatre next week who've announced that they're now cashless, which is fine for me but what about at Christmas when grandparents give kids money to buy sweets, flashing toys etc and they don't accept cash?

There are still loads of people who don't have access to this type of bank card so they're being excluded from society. And again, Covid is being used as an excuse. Now where is the conspiracy theory thread???

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
My local petrol station had problems last weekend so had to go cash only. A queue probably twenty deep all leaving to go to the outside cash machine to get some cash and I got served far quicker. Fair enough you want to pay on card but why the heck wouldn't someone carry cash just in case for scenarios like this? Is it so hard to leave a twenty quid note in your wallet for emergencies like this situation?

Ensay

VIP Member
I don't think cash is going anywhere. We've been able to pay by card for decades, yet cash hasn't vanished. More people pay by card/phone as it's more convenient (especially with contactless), but there's still a demand for even cheques.

Whenever I go to a local town that has a daily market, I noticed pretty much everyone pays by cash. There are always queues at the cash machines!

I rarely pay by cash, but I always have some in my wallet just in case. I don't miss faffing around with (and being weighed down by) coins to be honest.

emm

VIP Member
Well, not really. Your bank can keep tabs on you. The government can keep tabs MORE maybe because taxable earnings will be reported from multiple sources making tax easier to trace. But the government can’t access bank data

Out of Interest what has being German got to do with it?
so my friend who grew up in east germany he (and everyone he knows) has a phobia of being followed by the government bascially so they would rather just pay cash (this is growing up/living east german rather than west german of course)

Captainmouse

VIP Member
100% every time I've been in the bank there has been loads of customers in it.
I went to bank the other day, there was a big queue at the front. the payment machine wasn’t working so I joined the queue for a till. Eventually got there only to be told they can’t make payments, and to join the queue at the front, which now goes out the door.

I eventually get served only for **** to take me to the machine, I explain it’s not working, but the patronising ***** insists I use the machine, twice 🙄. He eventually made my payment, I was in there over an hour. And the reason I was in there in the first place? I couldn’t get thru on the phone

emm

VIP Member
This is a bit off topic but Boots seem determined to push self service and there are only ever 2 or 3 that take cash. It's kind of infuriating especially as most coupons can't be used on self service. In most stores the staff are incredibly rude if you point out you need to use a manned till. I only shop there because of the advantage points now.
And the tills are so glitchy! I have never been there and not had to get an assistant for help

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
I use cash. Much prefer being able to feel my money as I hand it over to someone it makes me conscious of how much I’m spending where’s if I buy something on my card it feels like I haven’t spent money until I look at my bank balance!
My boys school only take cash for trips, school dinner etc, i prefer paying cash when ordering takeout so I can tip the driver, same as other services I like to tip. Anyone who refuses cash doesn’t get my service!
My card has been hacked before, I’ve also had an issue where I wanted to pay cash for shopping and the shop assistant said my payment had already gone through I looked at her like what?! And she said it was paid by visa contactless, turned out it picked it up from my handbag. Put me off it. I go to the bank once a week to lift out what I need and it helps me stay in budget with our spending.

• Heart

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
Which was the issue during lockdown trying to buy a newspaper
Absolutely it was. Keeping cash alive, having something to read to pass the time, getting out of the house for a bit to go fetch it. Not all of us want to pay on card for such a small value item. It's utterly pointless when one coin can do the same thing. Luckily we have the Telegraph continuing to name and shame places who don't want our business and the majority of people still want to pay with cash.