Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
How would Boris know somebody is overweight?
The same as he finds out anything, he would be told by people in the know. He could easily make it law that NHS staff tell him about anyone they deal with who is clinically obese. It would be easy to make it so if someone is known to have a drink issue they can legally make it so if they tried to buy booze their card would automatically decline the transaction.

• Haha
Reactions: 4

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
Wheee on

where on earth did you get the idea they’d switch your money off for buying things bad for the environment? 😂 that’s not what the press release says in any way
You seen what's happening with law abiding people being sanctioned here just for being Russian? Well do you not think if we went cashless so everyone had to buy things without cash the government wouldn't use that as a way to make the public do as they say? You've a criminal record so we are freezing your bank. You're overweight we are freezing your bank. You were at a protest against us we are freezing your bank.

You're being silly if you think not being able to use cash to buy anything ever again wouldn't be used by the government to pressure and/or punish people.

• Haha
  • Wow

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member

An all too rare pro cash media place. Now more than ever people are going to get in more debt than ever, helped on by paying contactless everywhere so easily losing track of spending because it cannot substitute for cash in your pocket.

Homebird44

VIP Member

The worry on here and peoples experiences is not that cash is disappearing but that it is becoming harder and harder to use and even access in many places. And the very real problems surrounding the alternatives. Dismissing peoples real life experiences as fearmongering is naive in the extreme.
The town my parents live in full of elderly folk has gone from 5 banks to no banks. Similar story in many rural towns. My brother was banned from 3 out of the 4 shops still open during lockdowns for wanting to use cash in one and getting upset when he couldn't. He is autistic and they used some sort of stopwatch scheme to ban him . He was isolated from family and can't shop online.True and worrying to me story.
I'm sorry to read about your brother. Banks aren't charities though. They still have to pay business rates, rent, wages and utilities bills. The footfall in our town centre is non existent, more and more is being done online. I speak to a lot of retired people for my job role and they are better online than I am. Times change and we have to keep up. I'm sure you can pay money into bank accounts via a local postoffice, our village post office offers the service.

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
Children use cash ( pocket money etc) what about them?
You have online banks like these where for pocket money, birthday money from family, cash from jobs around the house etc it gets put on a card your child can use in shops so they don't risk getting robbed if carrying cash.......

This is a scary thought......

If you're paying hundreds for an holiday use your card. If you're buying a new sofa or car etc big cash item I am all for using a card. My issue is being expected to pay for cash for transactions like don't even cost a fiver like buying a pint, newspaper, lunch at work or a few essentials like tea/coffee/milk.

Ensay

VIP Member
Absolutely, as a rule I don't frequent businesses that will only take 1 method of payment, be they cash only or card only. All businesses should take both.
Exactly. Freedom of choice is important, regardless of which choice you wanna make.

rainbowlemon

VIP Member
I'd be changing my bank account. Why give them the custom? I'm with nationwide and I've never had an issue with the app.
Thankfully I do already have more then more account elsewhere, but kept the Halifax ones open as they were my oldest accounts.
---
Prediction from an expert :

Warpaint

VIP Member
I've noticed a lot of small businesses have signs up asking to pay in cash due to the charge on small amounts with cards. Looks like it may be back.

Captainmouse

VIP Member
I use cash. Much prefer being able to feel my money as I hand it over to someone it makes me conscious of how much I’m spending where’s if I buy something on my card it feels like I haven’t spent money until I look at my bank balance!
My boys school only take cash for trips, school dinner etc, i prefer paying cash when ordering takeout so I can tip the driver, same as other services I like to tip. Anyone who refuses cash doesn’t get my service!
My card has been hacked before, I’ve also had an issue where I wanted to pay cash for shopping and the shop assistant said my payment had already gone through I looked at her like what?! And she said it was paid by visa contactless, turned out it picked it up from my handbag. Put me off it. I go to the bank once a week to lift out what I need and it helps me stay in budget with our spending.
I too have had my shopping paid for more than once via contactless, but as I don’t have one it wasn’t mine. I still don’t have one and won’t

• Haha

Lindylou

I work in a supermarket and there is definitely more people using cash.
I’m still astonished by the amount of people who don’t carry a card or some cash with them and solely rely on their phones! We can only refund to a card not straight to phone and it causes a lot of arguments!
Weve been out and about using maps Google etc and my husbands been concerned how quickly his battery depletes!
We also have a power bank and a cable in the car!

1001 others

VIP Member
If society does collapse, or there is a technology outage lasting some time, cash will be the only way to get goods and services (or barter with people).

emm

VIP Member
Funnily enough I am always panicked about having the right change because this Nottingham story has haunted me for over 10 years.
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-18345586.amp
Omg. I hadn't heard this story but I hVe heard of similar in London when I was a teenager when people didn't have money onbtheir oyster. I've been let on as an adult with no money on mine to go to work in the morning I cannot fathom why bus drivers would let a woman at night be in a dangerous situation

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I would hate a cashless society. If they did do away with cash , I think bartering would be more common.

Children use cash ( pocket money etc) what about them?

I've had it where my card has been declined because of a problem their end. If I can't pay by cash, how do I pay?
Yes, there are often technical issues. It wouldn't be efficient enough.

VomitCulture

it's easier to budget, easier to know how much you've spent, you know you haven't been overcharged (like looking at online banking to see your £2 drink you got charged a fiver for)
I'd say the opposite tbh, I find it much easier to do all these things with card. I can categorise all my spending on my card each month, I can create seperate pots for my spending each month and get instant notifications on my phone to say how much i've spent or if i'm coming close to hitting my budget

Is it so hard to leave a twenty quid note in your wallet for emergencies like this situation?
A lot of people including myself don't even carry wallets let alone cash

Homebird44

VIP Member
The same as he finds out anything, he would be told by people in the know. He could easily make it law that NHS staff tell him about anyone they deal with who is clinically obese. It would be easy to make it so if someone is known to have a drink issue they can legally make it so if they tried to buy booze their card would automatically decline the transaction.
I mean this with the upmost respect, please get help.

• Haha

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I've just had an argument with a bus driver, who insisted that I pay for my ticket using a card. He said he was from London, and eveyone there is paying by card. The argument lasted quite a few minutes, but as there was a customer behind me, I paid for my ticket and got on the bus.
Another passenger asked me what the fuss was about, I explained to her that I feel very strongly about us heading towards a cashless society. She said that is the way things are heading. I said that I may be a lone voice in this (because it feels this way), but I'm sticking to my guns. If no one is willing to stand up to what is happening, then we will be forced into a cashless society.
I ended up getting off the bus, and complaining to the bus company. Not one person backed me up on the bus.

Whilst I'm here, may I remind people to sign the petition I mentioned in my last post.
Lots of bus drivers don't seem to want to faff on with change, especially people paying with notes. I can understand them not wanting to carry cash.
But what would they for children getting the bus? Youngsters pay cash.

Homebird44

VIP Member
Let's all laugh at others who care about the future.
Didn't think it was cool to mock " the mental unwell " in 2023.
He doesn't care about anybody but himself, if there is a bandwagon he'll leap on it. The man is a moron. Cash won't be going anywhere, as a society we have found another way of paying and transferring money and it's easier. I don't remember this uproar when cheques weren't accepted anymore. I work long hours and if I can save a bit of time and not have to drive to a cash machine then I have no problem with that.