Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

emm

VIP Member
Why would they walk hours rather than get a cab, bike or Uber?
the issue was with the card, so surely uber would be not an option? i don;t take uber because of their tax (or lack of) stance but i have no idea, cab is expensive and cycling an hour is not possible if you are as unfit as I am (also bike now is the ones you need your card to rent anyway?)This is how I would have seen it. none of these resolve the no cash issue , even lots of cabs don't accept cash

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Children can get pocket money electronically but if they call in at a shop for sweets after school, they pay cash.

Having worked in retail, there were little blips with card payments most days. Sometimes it was the banks themselves but often it was our phone lines/ WiFi these days having a temporary blip.
Often customers had problems with declined cards / issues with their account they were unaware of ( that we obviously got blamed for).

In these cases , it is easier to use cash
You experienced that many problems? I don't work in retail, but take regular card payments off customers and rarely have problems.

emm

VIP Member
It’s a bit of a nothing story isn’t it? It’s only saying they’ve set up a working group to look at the advantages and report back at the end of the year. I seriously doubt the U.K. will be the first major economy to go digital

it doesn’t have anything to do with a universal basic income though?
isn't sweden aiming to get rid of cash by next year? I think with all the mistakes the uk govt make with technological things i wouldn't hold my breath tbh

But when it comes down to it it’s the shops/restaurant/ businesses problem if the technology goes down. I wouldn’t spend my life worrying I might have a meal but then the machines broken. It’s no big deal, go back rhe next day or bank transfer or whatever. It’s so rare you hardly need to consider it.

Btw I think minimum fees for cash machines should and will be abolished (in fact I thought this had already happened, and naughty shops kept minimum spends to get more money out of you)

Homebird44

VIP Member
I'm always astounded by the cash is dead attitude of some people. All the card payment machines went down in South London and there was absolute chaos, shopping trolleys abandoned everywhere. The poor staff were running around trying to get all the perishables back on the shelves.
Maybe we need a pay by cash day to fuck over all the places that are trying to prevent us using it.
Day to day I don't use cash. I had to get some money out the other day to pay the carpet fitters. First time I'd used a cash machine in years. I can't see cash going anywhere but the majority aren't using it. Self service tills are meant to be quicker, only a few tills accept cash and the majority will pay by card or use their phone.

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I've done train journeys without paying because it's two barrierless stations and it was before ticket machines were available at the starting platform so you had to buy on board, but nobody came to check, so saved money.
If there were ticket purchasing facilities at the end of your journey, you would have been expected to buy a ticket there for the journey you had made.

LouSV

Chatty Member
I bought something in Currys a few months ago and paid the £35 with 2 twenty pound notes the youngster behind the till looked horrified and I had to say to him you need to give me £5 change either a note or 5 £1 coins. I suppose cards means they don't have to use their brains any more.
Yes the shop assistants often look like this nowadays , many clearly don't have one iota how to count change correctly !

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
Has anyone else noticed, that some of the cash machines have been removed from outside of supermarkets, like Tesco and Sainsbury's? I have also noticed that the cash machine, has been removed from inside a local branch of Sainsbury's. The obvious reason is so that you will be forced to use cards to pay for things. Disgusting.

Warpaint

VIP Member
With it becoming a cashless society is it a lot harder for criminals to launder money now or have they already starting going the cryptocoin darkweb way?