Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Poddular

VIP Member
So what are we in the UK waiting for?
Time for some action, before its too late.
Unfortunately as my dad always says the only thing that would get the uk population into mass action would be the removal of Coronation Street.🙃

We queued up for petrol yesterday only for her to announce over the tannoy that they were shutting the forecourt as the card machines weren't working and they were overwhelmed with people in the shop not being able to pay! Doesn't sound like progress to me.

• Wow
Reactions: 8

Poddular

VIP Member

The worry on here and peoples experiences is not that cash is disappearing but that it is becoming harder and harder to use and even access in many places. And the very real problems surrounding the alternatives. Dismissing peoples real life experiences as fearmongering is naive in the extreme.
The town my parents live in full of elderly folk has gone from 5 banks to no banks. Similar story in many rural towns. My brother was banned from 3 out of the 4 shops still open during lockdowns for wanting to use cash in one and getting upset when he couldn't. He is autistic and they used some sort of stopwatch scheme to ban him . He was isolated from family and can't shop online.True and worrying to me story.

• Heart
  • Sad

Apple In My Pie

VIP Member
I discussed this at university a few months ago - a store that was designed to be cashless, you didn’t even pay with your card - you waved your hand at a scanner and that was what ‘paid‘ for your shopping (although did need your card to set it up/link your card w/ your hand initially).

I like the ease of using my card but I find it worrying esp if a cashless society is the ‘end goal’, it’s a restrictive decision which excludes people e.g. the older generation may be more used to handling cash than card/technology (sorry massive generalisation there 🙈), it means you have more to lose (I’d rather lose the £20 I keep in my purse than the few thousand in my bank). Even stuff likes phones now - I was in Tesco the other week and realised that while there was a contactless card spend limit of £45, there was no limit for Apple Pay or the like... so if I lost my phone there and then my entire bank could be drained. And stores like the above, while they aren’t commonplace ATM, I find confusing as surely the AI, which detects your palm movements, could be mistaken and under/overcharge you?!

• Heart

Dragon100

Chatty Member
I remember once at a petrol station I filled my car on a Sunday with petrol but Barclays systems had just gone down so my debit and credit card would not work nor could I use the cashpoint, I had to call my mum to drive to the petrol station with cash, as once you've put petrol in your car you can't take it out again it's not like leaving your shopping at the checkout. On the Monday I took £200 out of my current account and put it in my building society account that I could have used the card in the cash machine if there had been enough money in the account. This was about 15 years ago.

On holiday in Cornwall, about 10 years ago, several of the major banks had a problem with their systems and no card payments or cash withdrawals could me made for about 4 days, luckily we weren't affected, but people were packing up and leaving half way through holidays they had paid for as they had run out of cash and couldn't use their cards to purchase food or get cash out to purchase food so were returning home as they had food in their cupboards and freezers!

More recently we went back to the same site (as we do every year) it was 2021, the shop was taking both cash and card payments but the onsite food and bar were not, generally not a problem, but their card machine was down, the car was packed, we were there with my Dad on father's Day so we booked for a Sunday lunch before leaving. We go to pay and they are like can you come back and pay tomorrow as the card machine is down and we are not taking cash at the card machine will not be replaced untill tomorrow come back and pay tomorrow, it took,a long conversation to get them to understand we would be 190 miles away and back at work tomorrow so could not be back, begrudgingly they eventually took cash.

2022 we were at the same site and had a problem with the car, as we are in the shadow of a hill, mobile and internet is patchy, you can usually get mobile reception on the beach at low tide, but we needed the rac and it was high tide. Reception let us use one of their land lines to call but we needed to pay for new spark plugs and had to pay cash as the rac man did not have any reception for card payments. I always take £200 in cash plus £20 in parking change on holiday just in case. Many do not -we are often 15 miles plus to the nearest cash point!

One of the branches I cover occasionally is covered by a parking app or coin payments but I get no internet reception so have to pay cash, I won't pay in advance as the carpark,is cheap and popular if I get stuck in traffic and am late I won't get a space and will pay twice as much in the multistorey just as far away in the other direction.

I don't usually use cash but always carry it just in case .. If we ever go completely cashless we need to vastly improve the infrastructure to make it work and reliable.

• Heart

Yel

Chatty Member
I think it's inevitable at this point. Running a business that takes cash has fees and hassle associated that at best are similar to card fees. Eventually I think many places will just give up accepting cash. Much like they did with stopping cheque payments.

Most people don't care over the lack of control and love booping their contactless card.

Although I'd love some kind of decentralised crypto to be used as a payment and storage that's beyond the control of central banks to print theive from people. But that's another conversation

Polythene Pam

Chatty Member
This is a bit off topic but Boots seem determined to push self service and there are only ever 2 or 3 that take cash. It's kind of infuriating especially as most coupons can't be used on self service. In most stores the staff are incredibly rude if you point out you need to use a manned till. I only shop there because of the advantage points now.

• Sad
Reactions: 7

Notgonnalie

VIP Member
You can get cash out of the bank or a building society. They break down and somebody has to fix them.
Many banks have closed local branches as more customers move online. My local banks an hour away now so I’m advised to use a post office! It’s becoming quite restricted for where and when you can lift cash or deposit cash. Postcode lottery.

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
I hate the cashless society. I pay on card sometimes but honestly rather pay with cash.

I shop for an elderly person who pays me cash to get her goods and honestly the looks i get for doing are awful. I honestly think choice should be kept in all shops.
I think we should have the choice to pay by cash or card, everywhere.

You seen what's happening with law abiding people being sanctioned here just for being Russian? Well do you not think if we went cashless so everyone had to buy things without cash the government wouldn't use that as a way to make the public do as they say? You've a criminal record so we are freezing your bank. You're overweight we are freezing your bank. You were at a protest against us we are freezing your bank.

You're being silly if you think not being able to use cash to buy anything ever again wouldn't be used by the government to pressure and/or punish people.
I’m being silly? 😂
Because yes sanctioning Russians is exactly like freezing an overweight persons bank account for buying sweets at Tesco 😭

• Haha

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I paid with cash for everything today. Some people looked surprised but I had a purse full of change so I could give the right money .

• Heart

Gloria Rostron

VIP Member
I am a proud cash user. I won't give cashless businesses my custom. I never use my bank card to pay. If you can't train your staff to count coins, what other training are you skipping?

• Heart

TJ90

VIP Member
If it’s under £100 I pay cash.
I hate tipping on card too. How do we know it goes to staff members? And not just to the big corporation bosses.
We went to Stockholm a few years back and so many places didn’t accept cash. I was baffled. Paying on card for a bottle of water etc.

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I think I'm more spendy when I'm putting little bits on my card, few quid here, £10 of shopping there, cheeky Greggs now and then. On card it's like I'm not spending, even though I am.

Poddular

VIP Member
I was going to mention about the closure of many post offices aswell leaving many without any services except for a weekly van.
Like most things it all boils down to some people care about how things affect other people and some don't as long as they aren't affected /they are happy with the changes.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Notworthy

VIP Member
I went into my bank today to pay a bill. The first thing I noticed was half the row of cashiers tills, had be partitioned off, and will not be used anymore. I also noticed that one of the cash machines had disappeared.
As soon as I got the opportunity, I asked a member of staff, when the branch was closing. She tried to reaasure me that the branch would not be closing, but I wasn't convinced. She said that demand for a full compliment of staff wasn't there anymore. The same can be applied, to the cash machine that was removed. I said to her, that not everyone wants to use credit cards, some of us would still like the choice.
The branch that I used today, is the only remaining brach in the locality all the others have now closed. This is the future if we don't start speaking up, and fighting for our right to choose, our choice will be taken away for good. It is time to stop sleepwalking into a cashless society.
Banks are lying when they tell you that people aren't using them. My local branch closed, now they are closing the 2 in the next towns, one of which frequently has queues out the door. If one bank in my area committed to staying open for atleast the next decade, they would be inundated with customers switching to them

• Heart

Notworthy

VIP Member
@Dragon100 Great that you recognise the risks inherent in going fully cashless but if you don't use cash regularly then that time will come far quicker so I would say to everyone just make the odd purchase in cash on a regular basis. I probably use cash 2 or 3 times a week, it might be a coffee in Costa or a top up shop in M&S (because that is my treat spend so it keeps a lid on what I spend in there) but I do make sure I spend atleast £100 a month cash.

ETA
I will not use businesses that only take 1 form of payment be it cash only or card only. Taking 1 form of payment is designed to convenience the owner of the business not me so fuck them, I'm the customer.

Ensay

VIP Member
I mostly use cards or my phone, but I always have cash in my wallet in case I need some.

I don't see why some people are pro one and anti the other. They both have their uses.