Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member

That appears to be what we are heading towards bit by bit. Businesses using covid as an excuse to expect you to pay by card when there is no evidence cash handling is dangerous (if you think it is I will happily take your money off you). Around eight million people in the UK dependent on paying on cash. Many more of us trying to save cash from being obsolete because it's easier to budget, easier to know how much you've spent, you know you haven't been overcharged (like looking at online banking to see your £2 drink you got charged a fiver for) and don't like paying on card for such small priced items like when in Greggs and someone buys their £1 sausage roll on card. I hate card only self checkouts putting people out of work so in a supermarket I always get served by a real person and pay cash.

Reactions: 37

Sarah777

‘Conspiracy theorists’ have been trying to warn the masses about this for years. Once we lose cash it’s too easy to be spied on and be blocked from making purchases if we fall ‘out of line’. Scary times indeed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 28

NeverEnough

VIP Member
I remember on the 1/6/2018 visa went down for a day, just 24 hours. I will never forget that day it’s etched on my memory, because I work in financial services and we just call it Hell. People phoning in tears, screaming at us, threatening us, “children can’t eat”, “my cars broke down”,”I’m stranded overseas”, Help me, help ME, HELP ME”.

24 hours. Just saying.

You want to pay by electronic means that’s cool, your choice. But surely every system needs a backup that doesn’t rely on machines?

• Wow
Reactions: 24

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member
No, no a thousand times no.
This is so wrong, we have the right to refuse to pay by card. I'd better not say anymore, or I'll go into rant mode.
Too late!
This topic infuriates me so much, I have suspected this is what has been happening since the beginning of the pandemic. Whilst the generel public were safely locked away, preperations were being made to prepare for a cashless society. And I agree that we have been sleepwalking into it.
I was on a bus a few months ago, the driver was being quite insistant that I, and other passengers pay by card. He even said that our local bus service was card only from now on. It turned out to be a lie, because none of the other bus drivers were insisting that passengers pay by card.
I feel very strongly about this (so much, that I can't be bothered to correct my spelling mistakes!)
JUST SAY NO.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23

coconochanel

VIP Member
Hell no I would hate a cashless society. For a start all this technology isn't safe or reliable just look what happens when banks get a glitch and everyone cant use they're cards until its fixed. Some shops are still refusing to do cashback since covid which is frankly bloody annoying 'you can use the ATM machine outside' well if I wanted to use the ATM machine I wouldn't be asking for cashback would I?:mad:

It would also mean the end of car boot sales, arcades etc.

Reactions: 21

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
I agree with all the serious points regarding the negative impact of a cashless society,.and agree with them.

On a less significant point, it would definitely make it harder chucking a fiver into the pot when it's someone's birthday I think.

And even less serious, if we go cashless, how are we gonna go to the amusements at the seaside and spend £1 playing the 2p coin push machines?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21

Dot_Cotton

Chatty Member
I never use cash if I can help it. I always find it a massive inconvenience if I have to get cash out for any reason.

Reactions: 18

Onecandream

A cashless society to me means the government keeping tabs on absolutely EVERYTHING about you.

Lending ppl money, doing small jobs for cash, babysitting, giving to charity, paying someone to walk your dog whilst on holiday, helping the homeless. Every single thing you buy. Every single transaction traceable.

It’s too intrusive for me

Reactions: 17

bunnyboo

VIP Member
Fuck cashless society. There's many reasons I detest the idea of cashless society.

Primarily, we cannot be fully reliant on technology, electronic cash being the only cash in the world would be a sure fire way to economic disaster. Any sort of power outage and nobody could buy or sell anything til the power comes back. And power outages will be more common as populations grow.

Additionally, this cashless society is the way that surveillance capitalism leading us. We're already tracked by our internet history, CCTV footage and other 'smart tech' (stop buying Amazon Alexa, you're literally bugging your own home). I don't want every single transaction I make to be tracked. Are we getting to a point where if one uses cash, there is a presumption that they are funding crime/terrorism/illegal activities? Fuck that.

Also side note to this rant: My drug dealer is now accepting Revolut :ROFLMAO: I obviously pay in cash, but what a sign of the times. There'll come a day where I need to pay for weed with crypto, mark my words.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Taetae95

Also could put homeless people at a disadvantage if they only have cash to pay for certain things.

As convenient as cards/contactless is, I don't think going completely cashless is a good thing.

Reactions: 15

Rockin' Robin

VIP Member

This has made my day. Technology is always letting people down. When will the late comers realise cash is King? If you carry cash like you did for many years without issues perfectly fine, this issue wouldn't have been a problem.
I couldn't agree more.
---
My partner and I went into a branch of Boots chemist last week. Everything was alright, until my partner came to pay for his items, only to find there were no cashiers, just automated pay points. My partner was so incensed, that he asked to speak to the manageress. When she arrived, she was fairly polite, and they had a perfectly civilised converstion about the issue. She said that some customers had been quite abusive, towards the staff members, because of the absence of human beings serving them.
I managed to chime in with, not everyone wants a cahless society.

I will advocate using cash to the bitter end

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 13

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member

This has made my day. Technology is always letting people down. When will the late comers realise cash is King? If you carry cash like you did for many years without issues perfectly fine, this issue wouldn't have been a problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Moanyoldwoman

It actually scares me. I live in London and I regularly have to walk out of a shop who won’t accept cash. Bank branches have been closing down and I think they will get rid of cash. Maybe not coins but I reckon payments over say £10 will have to be made by card. Electric cars, payments made using electrics. What if there is a power cut? What if your battery dies on your phone? I can’t give my kid twenty quid to go out with? All good and well these Go Henry accounts but they have monthly charges - more money I have to pay out. It screams control to me. It bothered me that I couldn’t go into the bank my sister is with to put money in her account I had to go find my branch, input in my account and then transfer. The government want to see everything you are doing with your money and there’s no privacy at all. See what you spend your money on. I prefer cash. If I have a twenty quid I can budget better. so often I’ve gone out tapping here and there thinking I’ve spent £25 and I look on my statement and it’s £60 lol
---
And don’t get me started on self service tills. Do I get a reduction on my shopping by doing the job of a (now unemployed) staff member for Tesco’s? I don’t work there so why must I pay through the nose for goods providing a profit, scan it myself and pay for a bag to carry it home in? Aaaaargh the top execs must be laughing at us!

• Heart

Melian

VIP Member
I've had it where my card has been declined because of a problem their end. If I can't pay by cash, how do I pay?

Sniffing Eggs

Chatty Member
The nearest petrol station to me, is an M&S

Countless times that their card machines have gone down, with queues of people wanting to pay for their fuel, but unable to.
And this is a small South West town.

I also refuse to use any business that insists that I pay by card.
---
This is a bit off topic but Boots seem determined to push self service and there are only ever 2 or 3 that take cash. It's kind of infuriating especially as most coupons can't be used on self service. In most stores the staff are incredibly rude if you point out you need to use a manned till. I only shop there because of the advantage points now.
Boots are going the way of Woolworths imho

• Heart
Reactions: 11

losingmymindagain

Haven’t read the whole thread so apologies if it’s already been said……but doesn’t a cashless society make us incredibly vulnerable to the likes of Putin and any other nut job? Pretty easy to completely disable us all if everything is all electronic ……

• Heart

Saddlesoap

VIP Member
Interesting comments. Personally I've never really thought much about it, I rarely ever have cash on me, usually just pay with my phone.

@StephenTJackson regarding 5ers for birthday pots. My colleagues mostly all BACS each other. I have so many saved transfer details on my banking app.

@Apple In My Pie I don't believe anyone could drain your bank account if they found your phone. Unless they also found your thumb?

I sound like a complete enabler 🙈

Overall I don't think we will lose loose change, but we maybe loose the notes.

Lanie

VIP Member
I hate the cashless society. I pay on card sometimes but honestly rather pay with cash.

I shop for an elderly person who pays me cash to get her goods and honestly the looks i get for doing are awful. I honestly think choice should be kept in all shops.

• Heart
Reactions: 10