Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
That’s interesting! Out of interest what can you do with technology to collapse a digital currency that you can’t already do now? Something like 99% of transactions aren’t cash, and haven’t been for many years. So the vast majority of Sterling transaction is already digital (not a digital currency, obviously)

Reactions: 1
If society does collapse, or there is a technology outage lasting some time, cash will be the only way to get goods and services (or barter with people).
When is this internet crash supposed to happen or does no one know? I just wonder if it will be after we are on digital currencies therefore cash will be useless anyway

Today I was on a bus, when suddenly the bus driver got shirty with a passenger that had just got on board. I couldn't quite make out what all the fuss was about, then I heard the driver insist that the passenger pay by card - he would not accept cash. He was really quite rude.
I turned to the other passengers on the bus, in disbelief, but they were oblivious to the issue. If I had the courage of my convictions, I should have spoken out against the attitude of the driver.
This is very normal in some areas, in London there’s a strict no cash ruling. It’s contactless or oyster only

• Sad
Reactions: 8
This is very normal in some areas, in London there’s a strict no cash ruling. It’s contactless or oyster only
In my area we have both, one company is cash only and the other contactless only, really fucked me up
when I was going to the Doctor's one day and the bus only took cash! As it wasn't that far and I didn't
have time for the next bus I got a free ride.

Cash machines should always be made available. There is a limit on how much you can get out and some people like to check their balance if they don't use an online bank account. There is no need for huge amounts of money being passed, its a nightmare when it comes to money laundering and fraud. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I used cash, I give the kids in the family money for their birthdays and its a quick bank transfer.

I avoid using cash when possible but I don't like the idea of a totally cashless society. I feel there should always be freedom of choice, not least for elderly and other people who may struggle with technology and have nobody to help them. These people are always totally disregarded every time there is some new initiative thought up by some bright spark wanting change only for the sake of change, and it deeply offends me.

As for Britcoin, well. What a Dystopian nightmare that sounds.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
When is this internet crash supposed to happen or does no one know? I just wonder if it will be after we are on digital currencies therefore cash will be useless anyway
Websites all around the world have been targeted for the past few months ... maybe they're testing the waters first? Nobody really knows "when" unfortunately, but we all need to be prepared.

Reactions: 3
Websites all around the world have been targeted for the past few months ... maybe they're testing the waters first? Nobody really knows "when" unfortunately, but we all need to be prepared.
I made a list before. The increased frequency is what you need to be aware of.

1. Anhalt-Bitterfeld a small town that could not send out welfare payments.

2. JBS meat distributors- (the largest company)
3.Australian newspapers HQ
4.NYC trains were attempted.
5.Coop supermakets in Sweden- they had to close over 300 shops.
6.Ireland's HSE
7.American colonial oil pipelines.

• Wow
Reactions: 6

It's great the idea of keeping cash available has support across all political parties. Card technology goes down far too often and whilst I am happy paying card for high priced items like holidays, I don't want a society where you can only buy a 40 pence newspaper or can of pop on card.

Which was the issue during lockdown trying to buy a newspaper
Absolutely it was. Keeping cash alive, having something to read to pass the time, getting out of the house for a bit to go fetch it. Not all of us want to pay on card for such a small value item. It's utterly pointless when one coin can do the same thing. Luckily we have the Telegraph continuing to name and shame places who don't want our business and the majority of people still want to pay with cash.

Reactions: 5
Absolutely it was. Keeping cash alive, having something to read to pass the time, getting out of the house for a bit to go fetch it. Not all of us want to pay on card for such a small value item. It's utterly pointless when one coin can do the same thing. Luckily we have the Telegraph continuing to name and shame places who don't want our business and the majority of people still want to pay with cash.

Surely its easier to pop into a local shop for a paper and drink and use your card? I don't carry cash on me, car parks are card payments and cash as gifts are done as bank transfers. I'm not going to go to a cash machine, get a tenner out, just to spend £1.50. If you already have change then shops should take it, but it can't happen that often. I worked in bars and restaurants for years and rarely handled cash.

Surely its easier to pop into a local shop for a paper and drink and use your card? I don't carry cash on me, car parks are card payments and cash as gifts are done as bank transfers. I'm not going to go to a cash machine, get a tenner out, just to spend £1.50. If you already have change then shops should take it, but it can't happen that often. I worked in bars and restaurants for years and rarely handled cash.
I had managed to keep my card un compromised for many years, then covid hit and voila being forced to use my card for newspapers and goods less than a pound and my card was compromised! It’s Christmas, my car needs a new battery and my card has been cancelled. I’ll stick with cash thanks

Some people work cash in hand, so it’s more effort for them to go and put money in the bank.

I’m quite traditional in that I lift out my money once a month that I believe I’ll need and then pay for everything cash. i split it all up into envelopes for each type of spending eg food shopping, things the kids need that arise, fuel, gas, electric etc I find it helps me keep to my budgets if I’m handling actual cash whereas when I use my card I feel like I forgot I spent the money because it’s just typing in a pin and then I’m horrified when I check my balance and realise.

I don’t trust wireless because my card paid for someone else’s shopping in Tesco one day and the card was in my bag at the time! So I got the wireless function removed from my card as it scared me how sensitive it was.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Some people work cash in hand, so it’s more effort for them to go and put money in the bank.

I’m quite traditional in that I lift out my money once a month that I believe I’ll need and then pay for everything cash. i split it all up into envelopes for each type of spending eg food shopping, things the kids need that arise, fuel, gas, electric etc I find it helps me keep to my budgets if I’m handling actual cash whereas when I use my card I feel like I forgot I spent the money because it’s just typing in a pin and then I’m horrified when I check my balance and realise.

I don’t trust wireless because my card paid for someone else’s shopping in Tesco one day and the card was in my bag at the time! So I got the wireless function removed from my card as it scared me how sensitive it was.
oh I didn't know you could get rid of contactless! what did you have to do to get that done? I am going to start doing this with cash too, I used to do this years ago and was much better at not overspending, small things on contactless really add up

oh I didn't know you could get rid of contactless! what did you have to do to get that done? I am going to start doing this with cash too, I used to do this years ago and was much better at not overspending, small things on contactless really add up
I just phoned my bank and told them I didn’t want it anymore and they sent me out a new card and it just doesn’t have the wireless bit on it! Was a bit of a faff waiting on the card I think it took 4 days to come but because I’d already lifted out my money for that month it didn’t impact me personally but I could see how it would if someone heavily relied on their card! I agree it really does add up whereas if you have cash sitting you can visibly see how much you’ve left to play with for things that are nice to have rather than you need them like hot drinks & bars of chocolate 🤣🤣

I just phoned my bank and told them I didn’t want it anymore and they sent me out a new card and it just doesn’t have the wireless bit on it! Was a bit of a faff waiting on the card I think it took 4 days to come but because I’d already lifted out my money for that month it didn’t impact me personally but I could see how it would if someone heavily relied on their card! I agree it really does add up whereas if you have cash sitting you can visibly see how much you’ve left to play with for things that are nice to have rather than you need them like hot drinks & bars of chocolate 🤣🤣
ooh I will do this tomorrow, thanks!

I can understand not wanting to go over to contact less, its normally only £30, now £45 and doesn't work if you've used it in a few shops. I sometimes still put my card in and use my pin. My window cleaner, dog walker, mechanic and plumber all get paid via bank transfer, its better for them for the tax man and it saves me getting out cash. Id happily go cashless but they wouldn't work for everybody. My mum cleans houses and gets back via bank transfer as her clients have to declare every penny with the tax man

I too have a non contactless card having had my shopping paid for on more than one occasion

Reactions: 4
I can understand not wanting to go over to contact less, its normally only £30, now £45 and doesn't work if you've used it in a few shops. I sometimes still put my card in and use my pin. My window cleaner, dog walker, mechanic and plumber all get paid via bank transfer, its better for them for the tax man and it saves me getting out cash. Id happily go cashless but they wouldn't work for everybody. My mum cleans houses and gets back via bank transfer as her clients have to declare every penny with the tax man
It’s maybe easier for them with tax returns but it’s not superior. So long as they give you a receipt it should be easy for them to complete their tax return anyway.

Everyone’s different with money and I don’t begrudge anyone who prefers electronic payments but I don’t think a cashless society would work for me and many others. I only really use my card for bigger transactions where I’d feel unsafe carrying a large amount of money. I also feel like a lot of people miss out on tips when you don’t pay with cash like delivery drivers, hairdressers, restaurant staff etc. I know some industry’s have included a tip option by card but many people are probably going to be more generous if you’ve got change in your purse than rounding it off to the nearest pound or something for a card fee if that makes sense.