Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
same I go to lots of markets where not alll stalls accept cash, on a day to day bassis I mainly use contacless but I always have some cash with me just in case. I feel bad for homeless people especially, most people now don't carry cash so cannot give anything
Load up some gift cards, Starbucks, McDonald's, Pret, Burger King, Tesco or whatever, keep some in your bag and you can give those to homeless people. 😊

Reactions: 1
Load up some gift cards, Starbucks, McDonald's, Pret, Burger King, Tesco or whatever, keep some in your bag and you can give those to homeless people. 😊
I really like that idea but I really worry about homeless people being turned away from those places for being homeless. The homeless people were I used to live were not welcomed into places

My kids school dinners is cash only. And I’m really annoyed as I gave him a ten pound note this week and it got stolen.
The head of year is fuming and it’s fairly obvious which class the culprit came from so fingers crossed.

I always used to get pound coins to give a set amount daily but my local branch has closed and even the post office won’t give me change. Wtf do they think I’m doing with it, money laundering? So frustrating when in this case cash is the only option.

My kids school dinners is cash only. And I’m really annoyed as I gave him a ten pound note this week and it got stolen.
The head of year is fuming and it’s fairly obvious which class the culprit came from so fingers crossed.

I always used to get pound coins to give a set amount daily but my local branch has closed and even the post office won’t give me change. Wtf do they think I’m doing with it, money laundering? So frustrating when in this case cash is the only option.
Sorry your money got stolen that’s awful!! Why will the post office not give you change that’s bizarre?! You could ask a shop to give you change too I’ve done that lots of times.

I've asked my local Tesco to change a tenner into coins before. Might be worth asking.

Boris is being open about it now. Get shut of cash so everything you ever buy is on a card. But if you do things bad for the environment like buy too much meat, buy too many plane tickets, buy too much petrol for your car in a short space of time etc it would be red flagged at their end and your card with access to your own money will be able to be switched off.

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Boris is being open about it now. Get shut of cash so everything you ever buy is on a card. But if you do things bad for the environment like buy too much meat, buy too many plane tickets, buy too much petrol for your car in a short space of time etc it would be red flagged at their end and your card with access to your own money will be able to be switched off.

Theyd be breaking their own GDPR laws. Nobody can access your bank account apart from you. A retailer can instruct your bank to stop a payment but you're still notified.

How are these people who come up to you in the Street and ask for 'a spare £1.32' to contribute towards their drink or drug habits, going to cope in a cashless society?

• Haha
I have noticed in my local Tesco store, that all of the cash only self sevice points, are "out of order." Roughly translated, it means that the card only points, will be the only ones in use from now on.
Incidently, have you heard any of the cashiers in your local supermarket, ask if you would like any cash back lately? I didn't think so!
I know there are so many other important problems to deal with at the moment, but I urge those of you that don't want a casless society to fight this. We don't have to accept this.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I have noticed in my local Tesco store, that all of the cash only self sevice points, are "out of order." Roughly translated, it means that the card only points, will be the only ones in use from now on.
Incidently, have you heard any of the cashiers in your local supermarket, ask if you would like any cash back lately? I didn't think so!
I know there are so many other important problems to deal with at the moment, but I urge those of you that don't want a casless society to fight this. We don't have to accept this.
I was refused cashback in a store. They said it's because they have cashpoint outside.

An all too rare pro cash media place. Now more than ever people are going to get in more debt than ever, helped on by paying contactless everywhere so easily losing track of spending because it cannot substitute for cash in your pocket.

Reactions: 4
I carry a bit of cash in my wallet, but I can't remember the last time I used it!

I think it's a generational thing. My mum pays using cash for most things - I think she only uses her card in the supermarket or for more expensive shop purchases.

I can see cash being around for quite some time to come yet. They tried to get rid of cheques ages ago and, while shops don't accept them, they're still used quite widely between people and smaller businesses. I can pay cheques in on my banking app and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have spent the money to develop that feature if the volumes didn't warrant it.

I was refused cashback in a store. They said it's because they have cashpoint outside.
When the pandemic first hit, a lot of supermarkets encouraged no cash spending and stopped offering cashback.
Its never been reintroduced in @sda and I don’t think there are plans to. We stopped automatically asking people if they want cshback well before the pandemic, it slows the checkout process down.

When the pandemic first hit, a lot of supermarkets encouraged no cash spending and stopped offering cashback.
Its never been reintroduced in @sda and I don’t think there are plans to. We stopped automatically asking people if they want cshback well before the pandemic, it slows the checkout process down.
But I thought they offered it as it saved them time and money?

Fewer and fewer people pay cash, had it happen occasionally, especially on a weekend when so many asked for cash back we would have to stop offering it because no money would be left in the till otherwise!

Yep even though you can now pay with cash they dont offer cashback. 🤪

With it becoming a cashless society is it a lot harder for criminals to launder money now or have they already starting going the cryptocoin darkweb way?

Find everyone opinions in this thread really interesting! I haven’t carried cash in nearly 10 years; my uni days were the last time I would carry change, and that was purely for the vending machines outside the lecture theatre. As soon as contactless and Apple Pay appeared on phones, that was it for me. My husband on the other hand still has carries change and notes which I find so weird; in theory he has no need to do so, but states it’s for little things like milk from the shop, canteen at work.

the only thing I’ve found the need for cash is LittleRen’s school when they do non uniform days or bake sales. I’ll get a £5 in change and keep it in a draw and usually then it’s my husbands money, haha! Everything else like school trips, dinners and after school club is via parentpay. He’s only 5, and when he plays shops, he will bleep his make believe card or phone. Oops.

I carry cash but that's because I like to nip into charity shops etc but I'm definitely using cards more then I used to .

Reactions: 3