Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I remember on the 1/6/2018 visa went down for a day, just 24 hours. I will never forget that day it’s etched on my memory, because I work in financial services and we just call it Hell. People phoning in tears, screaming at us, threatening us, “children can’t eat”, “my cars broke down”,”I’m stranded overseas”, Help me, help ME, HELP ME”.

24 hours. Just saying.

You want to pay by electronic means that’s cool, your choice. But surely every system needs a backup that doesn’t rely on machines?
I remember this day very well too! Massively affected my job. And then I couldn't get home because I didn't have any petrol and couldn't pay for it.

Reactions: 6
My local petrol station had problems last weekend so had to go cash only. A queue probably twenty deep all leaving to go to the outside cash machine to get some cash and I got served far quicker. Fair enough you want to pay on card but why the heck wouldn't someone carry cash just in case for scenarios like this? Is it so hard to leave a twenty quid note in your wallet for emergencies like this situation?

Reactions: 5
If it’s under £100 I pay cash.
I hate tipping on card too. How do we know it goes to staff members? And not just to the big corporation bosses.
We went to Stockholm a few years back and so many places didn’t accept cash. I was baffled. Paying on card for a bottle of water etc.

Reactions: 7
I hate tipping on card too. How do we know it goes to staff members? And not just to the big corporation bosses.
We went to Stockholm a few years back and so many places didn’t accept cash. I was baffled. Paying on card for a bottle of water etc.
Yes in two years time Sweden will be the first cashless country in the world 100% digital transactions :(

• Wow
  • Sad
Yes in two years time Sweden will be the first cashless country in the world 100% digital transactions :(

Dreadful, I mean I’d never go back to Stockholm but it’s worrying that they’re doing this.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
duck cashless society. There's many reasons I detest the idea of cashless society.

Primarily, we cannot be fully reliant on technology, electronic cash being the only cash in the world would be a sure fire way to economic disaster. Any sort of power outage and nobody could buy or sell anything til the power comes back. And power outages will be more common as populations grow.

Additionally, this cashless society is the way that surveillance capitalism leading us. We're already tracked by our internet history, CCTV footage and other 'smart tech' (stop buying Amazon Alexa, you're literally bugging your own home). I don't want every single transaction I make to be tracked. Are we getting to a point where if one uses cash, there is a presumption that they are funding crime/terrorism/illegal activities? duck that.

Also side note to this rant: My drug dealer is now accepting Revolut :ROFLMAO: I obviously pay in cash, but what a sign of the times. There'll come a day where I need to pay for weed with crypto, mark my words.

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I love my daugther saving up her pound coins to buy her own treats. Cashless would be the same.

Imagine heading to the seaside and not playing the 2p.machines 😳

It doesnt. When i worked in a pub we always skipped the tip part on the card machine for the customers as it didnt get back to us

Children can get pocket money electronically but if they call in at a shop for sweets after school, they pay cash.

Having worked in retail, there were little blips with card payments most days. Sometimes it was the banks themselves but often it was our phone lines/ WiFi these days having a temporary blip.
Often customers had problems with declined cards / issues with their account they were unaware of ( that we obviously got blamed for).

In these cases , it is easier to use cash
You experienced that many problems? I don't work in retail, but take regular card payments off customers and rarely have problems.

I have to admit with Covid around I haven't used cash that much, I've used the self service tills with a £20 note to get some change a couple of times because I do like some change lurking in my pocket just in case. I always carry at least £30 in my wallet, this is just in case I have to pay for my fuel with cash. It's rare but there has been times when either my card doesn't work or the terminal is down, always good to have a backup.

Reactions: 4
You experienced that many problems? I don't work in retail, but take regular card payments off customers and rarely have problems.
Yeah, I don't think our systems at work were strong enough to support the demand. Probably due to their cost cutting, we were late in getting contactless payments.
It was surprising how often customers would try to pay with am expired card, too.

Today I was on a bus, when suddenly the bus driver got shirty with a passenger that had just got on board. I couldn't quite make out what all the fuss was about, then I heard the driver insist that the passenger pay by card - he would not accept cash. He was really quite rude.
I turned to the other passengers on the bus, in disbelief, but they were oblivious to the issue. If I had the courage of my convictions, I should have spoken out against the attitude of the driver.

• Heart
it's easier to budget, easier to know how much you've spent, you know you haven't been overcharged (like looking at online banking to see your £2 drink you got charged a fiver for)
I'd say the opposite tbh, I find it much easier to do all these things with card. I can categorise all my spending on my card each month, I can create seperate pots for my spending each month and get instant notifications on my phone to say how much i've spent or if i'm coming close to hitting my budget

Is it so hard to leave a twenty quid note in your wallet for emergencies like this situation?
A lot of people including myself don't even carry wallets let alone cash

Reactions: 4
Also could put homeless people at a disadvantage if they only have cash to pay for certain things.

As convenient as cards/contactless is, I don't think going completely cashless is a good thing.
I think this generally when I see homeless people, I would usually give a bit of money but rarely have change with me anymore.
Personally, I noticed that once I got a contactless card (which I didn't want but there was no other option) my spending went up just because of small things like a coffee here, a chocolate bar there because you almost don't notice you're paying. I was much better at budgeting when I paid cash for most things. That said, there are still a few food shops near me that don't take cards, only cash

Reactions: 5
I really don’t mind this. Of course the major elephant in the room is crime- how does one pay for their drugs without cash? (Bitcoin?) if there is no cash there’s no cash- homeless people won’t have it, no (buskers in London already accept contactless!) because there won’t be any to give them.
Pocket money is easily replaced by go Henry etc cards. There isn’t really a valid reason I can see. Elderly people might like cash but presumably they’ve withdrawn it from the bank anyway, they don’t have a cash tree. Instead of withdrawing it they use their debit card.

eta- maybe with the homeless problem it’s time to look realistically at what street sleepers need. Cash just gets you stuff. It’s the stuff you want, not the cash

I really don’t mind this. Of course the major elephant in the room is crime- how does one pay for their drugs without cash? (Bitcoin?) if there is no cash there’s no cash- homeless people won’t have it, no (buskers in London already accept contactless!) because there won’t be any to give them.
Pocket money is easily replaced by go Henry etc cards. There isn’t really a valid reason I can see. Elderly people might like cash but presumably they’ve withdrawn it from the bank anyway, they don’t have a cash tree. Instead of withdrawing it they use their debit card.

eta- maybe with the homeless problem it’s time to look realistically at what street sleepers need. Cash just gets you stuff. It’s the stuff you want, not the cash
Granted its rare, but what happens when a shops payment system goes down? I've had this and had to pay by cash.

yeah big issue sellers really need to be issued with the contactless thing buskers have. The homeless problem in London (and I presume elsewhere) really needs to be dealt with somehow, we managed to get people in accomodation for the first lockdown and when it is extremely cold, why can this not be done on a more permanent basis? no one can get work without an address and it is just a vicious cycle you cannot really escape from.
The main issue I see is the technological aspect, as people have said if the system goes down and no one has cash it is really a disaster. Also there is a reason a lot of small shops still have minimum spend for card payments, they have to pay fees to the company (I assume this is still the case, a lot of corner shops near me have a minimum card spend)

But when it comes down to it it’s the shops/restaurant/ businesses problem if the technology goes down. I wouldn’t spend my life worrying I might have a meal but then the machines broken. It’s no big deal, go back rhe next day or bank transfer or whatever. It’s so rare you hardly need to consider it.

Btw I think minimum fees for cash machines should and will be abolished (in fact I thought this had already happened, and naughty shops kept minimum spends to get more money out of you)

But when it comes down to it it’s the shops/restaurant/ businesses problem if the technology goes down. I wouldn’t spend my life worrying I might have a meal but then the machines broken. It’s no big deal, go back rhe next day or bank transfer or whatever. It’s so rare you hardly need to consider it.
When the system went down before loads of people I know (I live in London) ended up not able to use their contactless card as payment to get home and had to walk hours, luckily at the time I was using an oyster card so I was okay

Reactions: 1