Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
When the system went down before loads of people I know (I live in London) ended up not able to use their contactless card as payment to get home and had to walk hours, luckily at the time I was using an oyster card so I was okay
So even then, they didn’t revert to the readily available safety net of paying by cash? If they don’t use it when technology did down then there’s your answer!

So even then, they didn’t revert to the readily available safety net of paying by cash? If they don’t use it when technology did down then there’s your answer!
true, but you can't pay by cash on TFL most of the time anymore can you? I know you can;t for buses or at the tube nearest me. I thought you had to buy an oyster and top it up, which not everyone has the money on them to do

Reactions: 1
When the system went down before loads of people I know (I live in London) ended up not able to use their contactless card as payment to get home and had to walk hours, luckily at the time I was using an oyster card so I was okay
Why would they walk hours rather than get a cab, bike or Uber?

Why would they walk hours rather than get a cab, bike or Uber?
the issue was with the card, so surely uber would be not an option? i don;t take uber because of their tax (or lack of) stance but i have no idea, cab is expensive and cycling an hour is not possible if you are as unfit as I am (also bike now is the ones you need your card to rent anyway?)This is how I would have seen it. none of these resolve the no cash issue , even lots of cabs don't accept cash

A cashless society to me means the government keeping tabs on absolutely EVERYTHING about you.

Lending ppl money, doing small jobs for cash, babysitting, giving to charity, paying someone to walk your dog whilst on holiday, helping the homeless. Every single thing you buy. Every single transaction traceable.

It’s too intrusive for me

Reactions: 17
A cashless society to me means the government keeping tabs on absolutely EVERYTHING about you.

Lending ppl money, doing small jobs for cash, babysitting, giving to charity, paying someone to walk your dog whilst on holiday, helping the homeless. Every single thing you buy. Every single transaction traceable.

I agree, one of my good friends is german (grew up in east germany) and apparently in germany generally becuase of this they really dislike card payments and prefer cash

Reactions: 6

Well, not really. Your bank can keep tabs on you. The government can keep tabs MORE maybe because taxable earnings will be reported from multiple sources making tax easier to trace. But the government can’t access bank data

I agree, one of my good friends is german (grew up in east germany) and apparently in germany generally becuase of this they really dislike card payments and prefer cash
Out of Interest what has being German got to do with it?

Well, not really. Your bank can keep tabs on you. The government can keep tabs MORE maybe because taxable earnings will be reported from multiple sources making tax easier to trace. But the government can’t access bank data

Out of Interest what has being German got to do with it?
so my friend who grew up in east germany he (and everyone he knows) has a phobia of being followed by the government bascially so they would rather just pay cash (this is growing up/living east german rather than west german of course)

Reactions: 5
They would’ve used cash in east Germany though? I don’t think a cashless society equates to a dictatorship!
no that is what I mean, my friends who lived in east germany prefer cash as they are scared of using cards because it is more monitered , no tmy idea but this is what my friends have said!

Reactions: 2
no that is what I mean, my friends who lived in east germany prefer cash as they are scared of using cards because it is more monitered , no tmy idea but this is what my friends have said!
I’m sure your friends are lovely but they don’t sound like they know anything more about a cashless society than the rest of us. Maybe they’re just traumatised from growing up in such a horrible situation. Not comparable
To U.K. in 2021

I’m sure your friends are lovely but they don’t sound like they know anything more about a cashless society than the rest of us. Maybe they’re just traumatised from growing up in such a horrible situation. Not comparable
To U.K. in 2021
these are people who still live in Germany but it is their attiutude when they visit the UK

I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw a bank note. I paid my builder by bank transfer, same for the window cleaner etc. I can't imagine we'll every become cashless, but its an old fashioned concept.

Reactions: 2
From my experience (before covid, not sure about now obvi) there‘s more places in „west“ Germany where you can pay with card (small restaurants, kiosks, chippy etc.) then in „east“ Germany. But sadly that can be said for many more modern things ...

I rarely use cash but I also don‘t do stuff I want to hide from my bank/the government or care all that much. It‘s not like they are going to look at all my transfers and go „wow this fatty had McD for the 3rd time this week“ 🤭

• Haha
Reactions: 9
From my experience (before covid, not sure about now obvi) there‘s more places in „west“ Germany where you can pay with card (small restaurants, kiosks, chippy etc.) then in „east“ Germany. But sadly that can be said for many more modern things ...

I rarely use cash but I also don‘t do stuff I want to hide from my bank/the government or care all that much. It‘s not like they are going to look at all my transfers and go „wow this fatty had McD for the 3rd time this week“ 🤭

Pmsl. 97% of Great Britains have a bank account. We have 1000s of cctv and APNR cameras. Our lives are monitored and thats before you pick up your phone. Some people have over active imaginations.

Keep meaning to draw some cash out but haven't for nearly 2 weeks. It's all just too easy on card

These days I always ask in most shops, if they accept cash payments. If they don't, I do not buy anything from them. The exception being, if it is an expensive item.
A useful mantra to adopt is -
If you won't accept my cash, you won't receive my custom.

Reactions: 6
the issue was with the card, so surely uber would be not an option? i don;t take uber because of their tax (or lack of) stance but i have no idea, cab is expensive and cycling an hour is not possible if you are as unfit as I am (also bike now is the ones you need your card to rent anyway?)This is how I would have seen it. none of these resolve the no cash issue , even lots of cabs don't accept cash
Depends if the issue was with using contactless or with using their card at all. Uber and I think the bikes too use an app on your phone not contactless so would still work. Uber also works with PayPal too and the trip still goes through even if your cards not working/there’s not enough money on your card.

I don't care really. We pay for most things on card, whether debit or credit.
I never carry money on me. It's easy to keep track of what you're spending with the app.
I recall when I moved to Canada I was shocked at the fact a credit card was actually required to pay for some things - rental car, hotel, gym membership... Some of them would just not accept debit. I have one with a very small limit on it.
Also if you're worried being tracked then I hope you are not on Facebook, Instagram etc.

Reactions: 4