Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s maybe easier for them with tax returns but it’s not superior. So long as they give you a receipt it should be easy for them to complete their tax return anyway.

Everyone’s different with money and I don’t begrudge anyone who prefers electronic payments but I don’t think a cashless society would work for me and many others. I only really use my card for bigger transactions where I’d feel unsafe carrying a large amount of money. I also feel like a lot of people miss out on tips when you don’t pay with cash like delivery drivers, hairdressers, restaurant staff etc. I know some industry’s have included a tip option by card but many people are probably going to be more generous if you’ve got change in your purse than rounding it off to the nearest pound or something for a card fee if that makes sense.
I think often with giving electronic tips the money just ends up going to the company, I know people who have worked in restaurants like this

Reactions: 5
Surely its easier to pop into a local shop for a paper and drink and use your card? I don't carry cash on me, car parks are card payments and cash as gifts are done as bank transfers. I'm not going to go to a cash machine, get a tenner out, just to spend £1.50. If you already have change then shops should take it, but it can't happen that often. I worked in bars and restaurants for years and rarely handled cash.
I suppose it depends on the total in each transaction. I worked in a cafe and everyone gave a £20 note for a £3 drink so we always ran out of change. The owners didn't think we'd need as much change cos they didn't in their restaurant. Cos the total due in each transaction was higher, people either paid card, or very little change was due from a note.

Reactions: 3
It’s maybe easier for them with tax returns but it’s not superior. So long as they give you a receipt it should be easy for them to complete their tax return anyway.

Everyone’s different with money and I don’t begrudge anyone who prefers electronic payments but I don’t think a cashless society would work for me and many others. I only really use my card for bigger transactions where I’d feel unsafe carrying a large amount of money. I also feel like a lot of people miss out on tips when you don’t pay with cash like delivery drivers, hairdressers, restaurant staff etc. I know some industry’s have included a tip option by card but many people are probably going to be more generous if you’ve got change in your purse than rounding it off to the nearest pound or something for a card fee if that makes sense.
That depends if you're a tipper. I tip in restaurants if the service is good but I don't tip anybody else. My hairdresser charges enough. I worked in hospitality for years and families would save for a long time to have a meal with us, I wouldn't expect anybody to leave a tip.

That depends if you're a tipper. I tip in restaurants if the service is good but I don't tip anybody else. My hairdresser charges enough. I worked in hospitality for years and families would save for a long time to have a meal with us, I wouldn't expect anybody to leave a tip.
I do like to tip, I’m privileged that I can afford to tip and wouldn’t look down on anyone for not tipping it’s not essential but I think it’s the right thing to do if you’re pleased with the service and it won’t leave you short. My hairdresser is expensive too but she’s overheads to pay too so she doesn’t exactly keep everything I pay her it’ll go on the products she uses, the rent, water and electricity to run her business and the copious amounts of PPE she goes through now, it’s not cheap being a business owner especially in a pandemic to adhere to all the guidelines when all those sectors have been closed more than they have open in the past 18 months! All those Perspex screen, gloves, face masks, extra aprons, bags to keep customers belongings in while they’re in the salon etc! Then all the hand sanitiser gels, and disinfectants not to mention they can only have a limited amount of people in the salon so losing out on lots of custom! So I like to leave her a tip to get herself a nice drink or treat on her lunch break and I know if I give her it in cash she’ll get to see it all herself

Reactions: 2
Has anyone else noticed, that some of the cash machines have been removed from outside of supermarkets, like Tesco and Sainsbury's? I have also noticed that the cash machine, has been removed from inside a local branch of Sainsbury's. The obvious reason is so that you will be forced to use cards to pay for things. Disgusting.

Has anyone else noticed, that some of the cash machines have been removed from outside of supermarkets, like Tesco and Sainsbury's? I have also noticed that the cash machine, has been removed from inside a local branch of Sainsbury's. The obvious reason is so that you will be forced to use cards to pay for things. Disgusting.
You can get cash out of the bank or a building society. They break down and somebody has to fix them.

You can get cash out of the bank or a building society. They break down and somebody has to fix them.
Many banks have closed local branches as more customers move online. My local banks an hour away now so I’m advised to use a post office! It’s becoming quite restricted for where and when you can lift cash or deposit cash. Postcode lottery.

Reactions: 7
Many banks have closed local branches as more customers move online. My local banks an hour away now so I’m advised to use a post office! It’s becoming quite restricted for where and when you can lift cash or deposit cash. Postcode lottery.
An hour away!! Where do you live?? Thats crazy.

I went to a tourist attraction recently and that was card only. Although it reduces the need for them to have an abundance of change onsite , I wonder what happens on school trips and children having spending money.

Reactions: 4
I am aware of this.
I recently bought a fleece from a high street store, I like to see items for real rather than looking at pictures of the item on a website. However after I had purchased the item, I looked up the item on the shop's website out of curiosity. It was considerably cheaper on line, than in the shop. I find this quite disgraceful, yet it will not deter me from going to real shops and paying with cash.

Reactions: 1
I'm quite uneasy about this cashless society. Me and the old dear were in Blackpool recently and they don't take money for tickets at the Tower anymore. However they're more than happy for you to pump coins into their slot machines!!!

And we're going to our local theatre next week who've announced that they're now cashless, which is fine for me but what about at Christmas when grandparents give kids money to buy sweets, flashing toys etc and they don't accept cash?

There are still loads of people who don't have access to this type of bank card so they're being excluded from society. And again, Covid is being used as an excuse. Now where is the conspiracy theory thread???

It's been proven that you spend more when you use a debit or credit card vs when you pay cash. With cards banks can charge any kind of fees they want, I watched a documentary where a couple went to two different branches of the same bank asking to open an account. First they pretended to be a poor couple with not much money, then they pretended to be a rich couple at the next branch. Guess who got the most advantageous account with little to no fees?

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I am surprised so many people still use cash. I'm 29 and have been using card since I moved out at 18. Debit at least. And got a credit card a few years ago. I moved to Canada where you a credit card is needed for many things, including a gym membership. I have a small limit on my own one ($500) but it is important here to have a good credit score. My husband and I's joint one has a much bigger limit and we use it for groceries, fuel etc to get airmile points. It is always paid off on time though.

I am surprised so many people still use cash. I'm 29 and have been using card since I moved out at 18. Debit at least. And got a credit card a few years ago. I moved to Canada where you a credit card is needed for many things, including a gym membership. I have a small limit on my own one ($500) but it is important here to have a good credit score. My husband and I's joint one has a much bigger limit and we use it for groceries, fuel etc to get airmile points. It is always paid off on time though.
I personally don't know anybody that uses cash. Our window cleaner is paid by bank transfer and team leader at work when its a colleagues birthday. I transfer money to my children if they need it. Seems an old fashioned concept.

Reactions: 2
The latest innovation in self service checkouts at our local Sainsbury's, is a till that allows you to park a small trolly where you would usually place a shopping basket. Thats nice and convenient isn't it? Of of course this facility is only available at the card only self service checkouts!

Years ago they had lower conveyors, taller trolling, the front of the trolley would flip down and the bottom of the trolley was level with the conveyor making it really to unload the trolley

Reactions: 3
I am all in for cashless at home but when I am abroad (outside Euro zone) it's a killer. All the couple cents here and there the bank charges on each transaction, on top of the low currency exchange rate... it's a killer!

I still like using cash but I go to boot fairs, arcades, etc.
My local corner shop only accepts cash for gas/electric payments.

I still like using cash but I go to boot fairs, arcades, etc.
My local corner shop only accepts cash for gas/electric payments.
same I go to lots of markets where not alll stalls accept cash, on a day to day bassis I mainly use contacless but I always have some cash with me just in case. I feel bad for homeless people especially, most people now don't carry cash so cannot give anything