Cashless Society

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm using Cash tomorrow, it's the only way I can pay my mechanic, he shut down his shop a few years ago but still carries out
work on my motorcycles, he didn't hang me to dry. It's really the only time I use cash now.

Reactions: 1
The people who use cash so people don't know what they have been buying are probably more likely to be hiding purchases from their oh/ family rather than anyone else.

Drugs / gambling? Pay cash and use it. Anything consumable is hidden. The only thing you couldn’t hide is something huge like a sofa 😂

• Haha
I hate the cashless society. I pay on card sometimes but honestly rather pay with cash.

I shop for an elderly person who pays me cash to get her goods and honestly the looks i get for doing are awful. I honestly think choice should be kept in all shops.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I hate the cashless society. I pay on card sometimes but honestly rather pay with cash.

I shop for an elderly person who pays me cash to get her goods and honestly the looks i get for doing are awful. I honestly think choice should be kept in all shops.
I think we should have the choice to pay by cash or card, everywhere.

Reactions: 7
I do think some people are a bit hyperbolic about the problems banks sometimes have. It's very rare and then you'd just need a credit card or 2nd free bank account.

Does anyone else remember just how many fake £1 there was before the new one? It was something like 1/30 iirc.

There's payment cards for children that lots get their pocket money added to, go Henry and all that.
Seen it happen, Southeast London a couple of years ago, caused chaos, also working at the station seen quite a few people that have lost their cards and can't pay for tickets to get to work. I've always got a hundred quid in a drawer.

Reactions: 2
Seen it happen, Southeast London a couple of years ago, caused chaos, also working at the station seen quite a few people that have lost their cards and can't pay for tickets to get to work. I've always got a hundred quid in a drawer.
yes i remember this! I think this is why being cashless is so risky

thoughts on this?
It’s a bit of a nothing story isn’t it? It’s only saying they’ve set up a working group to look at the advantages and report back at the end of the year. I seriously doubt the U.K. will be the first major economy to go digital

it doesn’t have anything to do with a universal basic income though?

Reactions: 2
It’s a bit of a nothing story isn’t it? It’s only saying they’ve set up a working group to look at the advantages and report back at the end of the year. I seriously doubt the U.K. will be the first major economy to go digital

it doesn’t have anything to do with a universal basic income though?
isn't sweden aiming to get rid of cash by next year? I think with all the mistakes the uk govt make with technological things i wouldn't hold my breath tbh

They’re not just talking of getting rid of cash there- they’re talking of making the pound a digital currency. I suspect most countries are looking at that but don’t think anyone is doing it

If society does collapse, or there is a technology outage lasting some time, cash will be the only way to get goods and services (or barter with people).

Reactions: 4
They’re not just talking of getting rid of cash there- they’re talking of making the pound a digital currency. I suspect most countries are looking at that but don’t think anyone is doing it
China is already ahead of us:

America also launched pilot schemes.

I personally don't think it's a good idea going 100% digital given the number of recent cyber attacks that have occurred recently in this year alone.

Last edited:

That appears to be what we are heading towards bit by bit. Businesses using covid as an excuse to expect you to pay by card when there is no evidence cash handling is dangerous (if you think it is I will happily take your money off you). Around eight million people in the UK dependent on paying on cash. Many more of us trying to save cash from being obsolete because it's easier to budget, easier to know how much you've spent, you know you haven't been overcharged (like looking at online banking to see your £2 drink you got charged a fiver for) and don't like paying on card for such small priced items like when in Greggs and someone buys their £1 sausage roll on card. I hate card only self checkouts putting people out of work so in a supermarket I always get served by a real person and pay cash.
Hi. Personally i like self service as when i do my shopping it is literally a 5 minute job (i am a long time widower...) but for older folks they have to use cash and also that 'human' interaction is 1 of the few they get each week.

One can understand the 'economics' of 'card only'/self service but also balance that with the needs of elders. One day you will be older also and cant fiddle about with silly smartphones and this and that (i also cannot do that scan and go thing with cellphones i have only recently learned how to do 'self service' :) ).

Reactions: 3
China is already ahead of us:

America also launched pilot schemes.

I personally don't think it's a good idea going 100% digital given the number of recent cyber attacks that have occurred.
exactly, in the wake of all this hacking from russia etc this just seems like a ridiculous idea. I think a 100% reliance on technology is just a bad idea

• Heart