Carrie Hope Fletcher - If you come out of the theatre acting like a Heather...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I agree with her 100% on that topic. The OG tweet was cruel and mean and size is NOT an indicator of health.

I just find it hilarious that she always says "according to the BMI scale I am obese" as if its fake and she's not obese ? the definition of obesity is literally that you are over a certain BMI. Now people can be healthy and beautiful and happy whilst being obese, but they still are because its only defined through BMI
To be fair, the NHS website actually says "BMI is not used to diagnose obesity because people who are very muscular can have a high BMI without much fat." It does however note that it can help you understand if you're a healthy weight, although it is your amount of body fat that actually determines obesity.

Weight discussion always feels like a low blow on threads to me - even though I do know people aren't being rude here - but I will give Carrie her dues. l but speaking as someone who's recently put on weight due to medication (not helped by gyms being closed), even though I know I don't look a whole lot bigger, I've definitely been feeling huge since I'm used to be being a certain size for years (which most of my clothes are making it very clear that I'm not anymore) so I do wonder if that's similar to how she perceives herself.
Even though everyone might not agree with her 'plus size' label, she's still done pretty well at handling her change in weight imo. It can be rough, so good on her for feeling confident enough to own it at least 🤷

Reactions: 6
In Oliver's video on on-stage kisses, Carrie mentions that Jamie took her hand to "give people something to talk about" and that it would "spread around the internet like wildfire" - but I literally don't remember anyone talking about this at all. Does she relaly think the WHOLE internet will care that much if she's cheating again?

Reactions: 6
The worst is, someone did a nice drawing of that quote, she shared it on her story and then she redid a crappy version of it herself ?

And now she's just doing a bunch of crappy looking quotes on her stories that are barely readable 😂

Watch out for the "I bought an iPad" and the 2 weeks of drawings before she forgets about it entirely

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
On the one hand, I feel women are put under ridiculous scrutiny about their bodies. Carrie has been criticized numerous times, so I do think she is genuine about criticism she receives. When she speaks about body positivity, I think it could be good for viewers who are struggling.

However, I don’t like it when she veers into skinny shaming. Women are picked apart for being too fat and too thin. It doesn’t have to be an “us vs them” situation. Body positivity should be for all bodies.

The next issue is, while I think it’s good she speaks up about body positivity, it really feels at times like she’s trying to make it her new “brand” and using it as a way to “go viral”. That quote she made with her name attached really feels like an awkward attention grab.

I feel really uncomfortable whenever people use mental health or exploit people for views. Like the lady who posed with a drill for Instagram to look like she was helping, or that guy who dumped tons of coins in a homeless man’s food to look like a “nice” guy.

Trying desperately to get attention and notoriety for body positivity feels disingenuous and like she’s just worming her way into a popular topic to get more traffic on her social media. Like when she did her underwear photos, she went on about how many new followers she had because of it and posted her life story to “introduce herself”. It just felt like the goal all along was attention for Carrie, not attention to body positivity. She also seems at times like she is trying to copy Jameela Jamil and her iweigh stuff. Reminds of times where I thought she had cool original ideas for YouTube, then I’d discovered she’d copied other people’s videos and there wasn’t much she did that was an original idea. (Letters to autumn/letters to summer, dear Tom and Carrie/ Dear John and Hank, story time vlogs like Olan Rogers, Disney vlogs like thingamavlogs etc.) things like mental health and social issues make a person look like a jerk when they’re clearly doing it as a publicity stunt.

speaking of letters to autumn, I used to love it, but after listening back to it it’s actually not as good as I thought first time around. Now I notice it’s more like letters to Carrie because she mostly bangs on about how hard she works, how creative she is and busy she is.

Reactions: 2
She skinny shames a lot and it really winds me up. I'm thin and she acts like she's superior to me because she's a bit bigger than me. I find it very hurtful.

We are all the same and no-one should be shamed regardless on their size.

She's happy call people out for picking on her weight but she does it herself. (I've never seen this, only ever positive comments?!)

She was thin once, she conveniently forgets this...

She skinny shames a lot and it really winds me up. I'm thin and she acts like she's superior to me because she's a bit bigger than me. I find it very hurtful.

We are all the same and no-one should be shamed regardless on their size.

She's happy call people out for picking on her weight but she does it herself. (I've never seen this, only ever positive comments?!)

She was thin once, she conveniently forgets this...
I’m so sorry you feel hurt by her comments. Internalised misogyny is a very real thing and I think that’s what’s at play when women come for other women in this way.
The environment she works in prizes smaller women. I don’t think it’s too dox-ing to say my daughter is an musical theatre student (that’s the main reason I’m interested in Carries career and also why I get a bit edgy about the fact she’s under the illusion she’s not had special treatment!). Anyway, my daughter is very teeny and very fit and works hard to sustain that for her career, thankfully in a healthy way. She knows so many girls and a fair few boys with eds due to the pressure. Given the echo chamber Carrie has grown up in I kind of see how she has come to believe she’s a plus size champion. But sniping at girls who she thinks are Less Special (insert worthy/talented/smart)than her because of their size is not on at all.
Ditto the rest of her issue with girls who aren’t conventionally ‘alternative’- you can still be talented, creative, funny and your own person if you don’t wear black nail polish and docs 24/7.

Last edited:
I found her reply of “I did 4 years ago😂” to the guy wanting her to do a cover of She Used To Be Mine kind of off putting. She could’ve had linked the cover and said something like “I already did, here you go😄” but no. I don’t know, the laughing face just seemed kind of rude to me...

Reactions: 8
I think so. There’s no part in it for her so she’s not that interested.
As well Six is a very active musical, and has a lot of dancing and stuff, if they were going to hire someone for the roles as one of the Queens, they would want someone with with dance background/training/skills as well. Which Carrie has said she doesn't. I'm also pretty sure she tweeted saying that it wasn't a proper musical? Which I will kinda agree with, because I've seen it and it's defo more a concert, but that doesn't make it bad, just different.

And with her whole body positive stuff, I just see it as her yelling into the abyss like "BODY POSITIVE MATTERS" "ACCEPT EVERYONE"

I agree and believe that we shouldn't fat/skinny/body shame anyone, after all we are all human. But if someone you love/care about or care for is putting them self at risk, wouldn't you talk to them?
Being obese is unhealthy. It doesn't make you less than me. But I do feel that the body positive community needs to realise that you can love yourself, your body and be positive about it, while also understanding and being realistic about how healthy you or others are.

I found her reply of “I did 4 years ago😂” to the guy wanting her to do a cover of She Used To Be Mine kind of off putting. She could’ve had linked the cover and said something like “I already did, here you go😄” but no. I don’t know, the laughing face just seemed kind of rude to me...
it’s so weird how she used to give such warm, positive vibes. I used to feel cheered up and motivated after her videos and QAs. Now if I get too much content from her I start feeling anxious and unhappy. I may need to unfollow her for a bit because she’s giving off a lot of negative energy at the moment.

Reactions: 10
Also I really would like to know her opinion of theatres filming plays/musicals and putting them online for the people unable to attend to watch. Because I love that idea and I would have totally watched Heathers.

Did she delete the comment of the person who first put up the “Kiss my wobbly bits” pic, only to copy it and post it like it was her idea? 🤦‍♀️

Reactions: 1
I saw her at stage door when she was at Les mis, she was about my size at a 14 max tbh so I don’t know why she champions herself for a body positive role model when it’s really aimed at women who are actually plus sized at size 20+ 🤷🏻‍♀️ Seems a bit of an insult. “Oh I’m so plus sized!!” You’re the national average luv and probably making actual plus sized girls feel even bigger next to you and a bit tit about it

Reactions: 3
I think it's kind of disgusting that she's been touting boardline HAES (healthy at any size) content. Yes being judged by your size is horrible and you are beautiful no matter your size but my god being obese is not good for you. Just because you feel ok now it increases your risk to a plethora of illnesses. BMI is just an indicator, if you're having knee and foot problems when running whilst obese.... It might be someplace to start. This is speaking from experience, going from boardline obese to 'normal weight' my "chronic" hip problem has practically gone away. Saying weight/fat has no bearing on health is so dangerous, especially when you have a platform.

What confuses me about her wanting to be a musical theatre star is that... dancing is part of the job. Yes there are less active roles but she can't be in every static show going?

I agree that relating hatred to body size is unfair but also it seems denial is a thing. You can be a beautiful, larger person with lovely personality, soul, actions etc. But if you are clinically obese, you should be doing something about it or seeking help, for your own sake. Big can be beautiful but being very unhealthy is not good. Take Grace Victory for example, pushing for body positivity when she looks like she struggles to breathe easily on stories. It's sad to see, not because of her size but it is clear she is struggling.

I get Carrie is trying to say you shouldn't tie self worth to your size for aesthetic reasons, but people should absolutely do something about being actually obese.

It's hard because it is such a struggle to go through.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.