Carrie Hope Fletcher - If you come out of the theatre acting like a Heather...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry if the convo has moved on a bit but I’m a few pages behind and just to add on the privilege/Disney subject, wasn’t there references made as to how the Sherman Brothers were or became ‘family friends’ to her and her family, you know the same Sherman Brothers who wrote most of the Disney songs back catalog. I honestly can’t see how she can try and spin that as relatable in any way at all
I think that was mainly because she played Jane in Mary Poppins when she was a kid- I believe that was where she met them. Still incredibly privileged to perform in the West End as a child. My sister is a dance teacher and quite a few of her kids have been scouted for West End shows and wether or not they go depends on the availability of their parents or someone close to send them to London. I live in West Yorkshire so it’s a very big deal when these kids are scouted in the North for London shows!

Reactions: 5
Sooo... I think she definitely reads here. Check out the post she just made on IG... Seems like a response to the recent criticisms about her voice being tit and the fact that she might not practice.
43A55A9D-09E9-4B32-A9B4-B0F5C9D90FF9.jpeg

Reactions: 4
I have a feeling that when this cinderella show goes ahead it'll flop. The audience will mainly be her deluded school girl fans.

Reactions: 1
I definitely get the vibe she is reading here after watching her latest good evening, world video. She was actually listening to what Oliver was saying for a change and didn’t dismiss/cut him off nearly as much. Generally though she tends to come across more obnoxiously in the good morning, world videos but it could very well be that she’s just not a morning person.

Oliver really has grown on me a lot after watching these videos the past few months. I hadn’t really formed much of an opinion of him before but he comes across as considerate, funny and a very glass half full kind of person. Especially seeing as if the west end really does close until next year it would be him in the more precarious situation financially. Yet Carrie would probably be okay but seems much more stressy. Cynical part of me wonders if Oliver feels like he has to be especially sweet to her in order to ‘earn his keep’ so to speak and that’s why he’s so nice and patient in the vids? Or again could just be his natural disposition haha. Either way he’s really pleasant to watch.

I like Oliver and really want to like Carrie but I can’t. She’s rude and whingy and I can’t be arsed with it.

She just comes across as super aggressive. No one is allowed to have an opinion or disagree with her or you are blocked. I disagree wholeheartedly with her support for certain organisations and her Wokeness and Virtue signalling on Current issues is something Tracy Ullman couldn’t have written any better for a sketch taking the piss out of misguided idiots who spout stuff they no nowt about.
I think she has a very high opinion of herself as she comes across as an entitled little madam

Reactions: 2
I definitely believe that Carrie earned her place as Eponine in Les Mis. I’ve seen a couple of clips on YouTube of Carrie as Eponine and her voice there was beautiful. But she was definitely stunt cast as Veronica. Maybe it was a smart casting because she was known for YouTube and had musical theatre experience. They put her name on the poster in the West End (starring Carrie Hope Fletcher) and attempted to put her name on the cast recording. It was only after the backlash on GG that she told them not to put her name on the soundtrack. What I loved about their conversation about stunt casting was Ollie acknowledging that Carrie was stunt cast by calling her the golden goose. Hilarious when you realise that Carrie really didn’t get what he was saying! Carrie saying that Boe & Ball weren’t stunt cast because they started in musical theatre was hilarious too, the concert was advertised as an all star cast! If an audience member wasn’t there for Ball or Boe, they were there for her or Matt Lucas or one of the other amazing theatre stars in the show. It was stunt casting done at its finest! All the household names you could get that were also associated with the show! They were the reason they could sell tickets for £300! (At least that was how much they were when I looked and realised I couldn’t justify the price in my head- it was the same when Ball & Boe brought their Christmas show to Leeds Arena, I’m sure it was amazing, I just couldn’t bring myself to pay that much for a ticket!) I remember when Addams came to Leeds and her name was on the poster though I didn’t really know who she was at the time, I think I found her channel just after she was in Addams. If your name is on the poster, they think you are big enough to bring in an audience! That’s how stunt casting works!

Reactions: 8
So funny, in Oliver’s new blog (#106) he reads out a question from a fan and says “what do you - (OLIVER) - miss most about the North” 😂 he was not going to let her butt in on that question, good for him 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I definitely believe that Carrie earned her place as Eponine in Les Mis. I’ve seen a couple of clips on YouTube of Carrie as Eponine and her voice there was beautiful. But she was definitely stunt cast as Veronica. Maybe it was a smart casting because she was known for YouTube and had musical theatre experience. They put her name on the poster in the West End (starring Carrie Hope Fletcher) and attempted to put her name on the cast recording. It was only after the backlash on GG that she told them not to put her name on the soundtrack. What I loved about their conversation about stunt casting was Ollie acknowledging that Carrie was stunt cast by calling her the golden goose. Hilarious when you realise that Carrie really didn’t get what he was saying! Carrie saying that Boe & Ball weren’t stunt cast because they started in musical theatre was hilarious too, the concert was advertised as an all star cast! If an audience member wasn’t there for Ball or Boe, they were there for her or Matt Lucas or one of the other amazing theatre stars in the show. It was stunt casting done at its finest! All the household names you could get that were also associated with the show! They were the reason they could sell tickets for £300! (At least that was how much they were when I looked and realised I couldn’t justify the price in my head- it was the same when Ball & Boe brought their Christmas show to Leeds Arena, I’m sure it was amazing, I just couldn’t bring myself to pay that much for a ticket!) I remember when Addams came to Leeds and her name was on the poster though I didn’t really know who she was at the time, I think I found her channel just after she was in Addams. If your name is on the poster, they think you are big enough to bring in an audience! That’s how stunt casting works!
10000% agree with you. I absolutely loved her voice back then and her version of On my Own (back then) still gives me chills.

I'm assuming she wasn't stunt casted for Chitty though?

I said it before but the personality change definitely occured for me at the end of Chitty beginning of the Addams rehearsals.

Maybe it was before then but that's when she became really unbearable for me.

Reactions: 3
In an Insta story she linked to a podcast episode she did. Quite enjoyed it. She seemed sweet and lovely and more reflective than she can sometimes seem. She told a story of how someone sent lots of people she knows really awful letters pretending to be from her, and that that situation was the lead up to her starting counselling. I can understand that. Also made me feel a bit bad about writing about her on here, but I try to be constructive and not write attacks on her.

In an Insta story she linked to a podcast episode she did. Quite enjoyed it. She seemed sweet and lovely and more reflective than she can sometimes seem. She told a story of how someone sent lots of people she knows really awful letters pretending to be from her, and that that situation was the lead up to her starting counselling. I can understand that. Also made me feel a bit bad about writing about her on here, but I try to be constructive and not write attacks on her.
I agree. I do feel awful as I adored her and really looked up to her at one point. She was sweet and very likeable.

However, I just don't think she'll go back to the girl she was. She even said it herself in a video a year or so ago, that she was fed up of people moaning that she'd changed.

I just think it's her ego that has changed her. I think if she wasn't stunt casted she would be quite humbled still. A real shame.

10000% agree with you. I absolutely loved her voice back then and her version of On my Own (back then) still gives me chills.

I said it before but the personality change definitely occured for me at the end of Chitty beginning of the Addams rehearsals.

When you take into consideration the fact that she was asked to film backstage at Les Mis when they realised her YouTube channel could bring in a younger audience and that she has said that her vlogging has been written into contracts before (I can’t remember where but it was brought up a few times on the gg board) it’s quite possible she was! And tbh I can’t imagine her as Truly. I know she did play the part, but when I think of Truly’s songs, I don’t think of Carrie to sing them. I imagine a more Julie Andrews type voice and Carrie admittedly is a belter. Her voice sounded nice in her new Waitress cover but I can’t believe it’s taken her this long to attempt to strengthen her head voice. She’s been doing theatre since she was a kid and has been performing as an adult since she was 18/19! Most actors and performers are constantly having singing lessons and improving their craft because singing correctly is a skill that can always be improved upon. I have a friend who was originally trained in opera and classical musical theatre and she is now taking singing lessons to improve her belt and it’s amazing the difference in her voice in just 6 months! Sometimes it seems that because she didn’t go to drama school, she doesn’t have to have any training. You can’t get by on just raw talent. Even Rachel Zegler, talented as she is, had to have singing lessons because she started imitating her favourite singers and needed to find her own voice (can’t wait for West Side Story btw). Just because you can hit the right notes and sound pretty doesn’t mean you are breathing properly or singing in a healthy way. We can all hear it when Carrie tries to belt high notes now, her high belt and mix sound horrible and like she is straining because she sang her way through tonsillitis and ruined her voice! She doesn’t need a vocal coach, she needs a proper singing teacher. A vocal coach teaches you how to act through song, a singing teacher focuses on teaching you how to sing in a healthy way, I don’t think Carrie realises that!

• Heart
I have a feeling that when this cinderella show goes ahead it'll flop. The audience will mainly be her deluded school girl fans.
You give her too much credit! I’ve got tickets for the show and I’m not a “deluded school girl fan” I am however an ALW fan so a chance to see a brand new musical of his is an opportunity not to be missed!

I have to say I do mostly like Carrie and I’ve enjoyed watching her and Oliver’s lockdown videos BUT....and it might not seem like much to some but I hate how neurotic she is about that poor cat!! He used to be a stray so he is used to being outside and roaming about the neighbourhood but because she can’t bear the thought he might not come back she’s talking about putting wire across the top of the fence to keep him in the garden!! To me that’s cruel it’s been proven that cats have a big territory when allowed to roam!! If your going to allow him back out don’t restrict him! Then in this mornings video he starts meowing and despite Oliver telling her the cat was fine she had to stop filming to go and check on the cat that was perfectly fine!! Every video since they got Edgar has she been calling him or petting him or doing something for the cat! I feel like screaming LEAVE HIM IN PEACE FOR 1 BLOODY SECOND WOMAN!!!! I feel sorry for when ever she has kids I feel like she will be one of those helicopter parents!
Sorry for the rant!

I've re-watched some of the old Chitty vlogs which were mainly just her in hotel rooms and backstage before rehearsals/shows. She was definitely was bearable and relatable at the time. The change came with Addams (for me at least, that's when I noticed it).

She really is going to be stunt-cast only material from now on, the Les Mis concert run confirmed that. I had a decent seat for £12.50 - she was good, but not any better or more impressive than the hundreds of other musical theatre actresses in her age group. Indeed, I liked the last few West End casts for Les Mis more than the 'concert' - at least they were actually there on talent alone rather than name (PS: would love a West End/Broadway gossip thread!!). I'd certainly be annoyed if I kept missing out on great roles because of her.

Last edited:
and it might not seem like much to some but I hate how neurotic she is about that poor cat!! He used to be a stray so he is used to being outside and roaming about the neighbourhood but because she can’t bear the thought he might not come back she’s talking about putting wire across the top of the fence to keep him in the garden!! To me that’s cruel it’s been proven that cats have a big territory when allowed to roam!!
Cats should be kept inside or let outside on a cat patio. It is unsafe for them to be outside and it is unsafe for local birds and small wildlife.

• Haha
I saw her and Lee Mead in the Chitty tour and she was super mediocre. Watching them felt like the Lee - and - Carrie Show. Lee was good but I mean it in the sense of watching it was like “here’s two names in a panto”. She also felt too young for the role, I always imagined Truly to be in her 30s - though I don’t know how old the original actress was in the movie.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.