Carrie Hope Fletcher - If you come out of the theatre acting like a Heather...

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Deliberately not replying to the e-mail is crazy, even for her. Does she not care about her connections in the industry at all? Does she think she's so special she can blatantly ignore requests like that? I mean, people will definitely notice, and it will come back to bite her later on

Reactions: 2
Everyone is going to think I'm just as rude as her but I get what she's saying. I have a really hard time calling or emailing, especially if it's to say that I'm not interested, if it's something I want to do then obviously I'm going to respond because if I don't then I can't do it, but if not then it's very difficult for me to respond. It's not that I don't want to respond, it's that I don't like saying no so I push it off and say I'll do it later but then later seems too late so I just don't do it at all. I've even done it for a job offer, at the beginning of the year I was offered a job, but I'd already accepted another, she only ever called me during times when I wasn't available and by the time that I could call back it felt too late in the day so I kept pushing it off and eventually she stopped trying to contact me and then it felt like it was too late to respond. I know it's an issue, I am in therapy but there's lots of other things I have to work on with my social anxiety.

It's obviously different for everyone but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that Carrie doesn't want to respond it's just that she can't get herself to.
I do understand. My anxiety prevents me from opening letters, taking phone calls, completing tasks etc. It must be a real pain on the neck for people who are waited for me to take action when I’m struggling to bring myself to.
But as you acknowledge yourself it is disoriented behaviour. The way Carrie addresses it it sounds like she thinks it’s perfectly acceptable.

Reactions: 6
If she finds writing rejection emails so hard then why not have a basic “thank you so much for the offer but no thanks” email written out in her notes that she can copy and paste and use as a reply? Not bothering to reply at all is so rude, she clearly thinks she’s hot tit.

Reactions: 8
Right well this afternoon Broadway has announced that all its theatres will stay closed until 2021 (January 3rd), and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see London's West End follow suit in the next day or two with similar dates, and then the remaining UK provincial venues that haven't already announced closures of similar length, do so shortly afterwards.

I'd say Miss Fletcher's dreams of being Cinderella are in real trouble now, I really really can't see anyone working on or risking investment on any brand new shows until both Broadway and the West End are fully reopened and everyone's comfortable that they're able to make money again. And even if they do get on with Cinderella, I'd expect the whole thing from top to bottom to be reevaluated which may include recasting, and don't forget virtually every West End performer has now been released from whatever show they were contracted to, so Mr Lloyd Webber and his investors are going to have a real smorgasbord of talent available to them. Anything goes now, regardless of the fact that her name was previously connected to the show.

In the meantime if she wants to stay relevant she'd better overcome that anxiety and start doing the streamed stuff such as Leave A Light On.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
I do understand. My anxiety prevents me from opening letters, taking phone calls, completing tasks etc. It must be a real pain on the neck for people who are waited for me to take action when I’m struggling to bring myself to.
But as you acknowledge yourself it is disoriented behaviour. The way Carrie addresses it it sounds like she thinks it’s perfectly acceptable.
I totally get this, and the anxiety of knowing you need to do something but are too anxious to do it is terrible but now I'm at the point where I hate the feeling that knowing I need to do something so much that I normally just reply and know that it's done and can then relax. Especially in current times when people are more flexible and understanding, Carrie only has to write the shortest, barest email saying "thank you but sorry, no".

Reactions: 5
Didn't the last time she did a live stream video we got her version of "Into the Unkown area?" Maybe that's the real reason, she knows her voice is not in the best area right now and she doesn't want people to record her terrible version of the songs.
Still, I have social anxiety and its really bad, I still find it on me (after so much back and forth) to send the emails, she has an agent she can ask to reply for her.

Has she even been part of any of the virtual content musical theaters are putting out?

Didn't the last time she did a live stream video we got her version of "Into the Unkown area?" Maybe that's the real reason, she knows her voice is not in the best area right now and she doesn't want people to record her terrible version of the songs.
Still, I have social anxiety and its really bad, I still find it on me (after so much back and forth) to send the emails, she has an agent she can ask to reply for her.

Has she even been part of any of the virtual content musical theaters are putting out?
I agree. I suffer from Generalised Anxiety Disorder so completely get it as well. I completely agree that she could ask her agent to response on her behalf if she's not comfortable.

It does seem far more likely, as you say, that the real reason is her voice.

That livestream she did of Into the Unknown was evidence that her voice is not what it was. The damage she caused it by selfishly singing through tonsillitis has caused it.

You can even hear it in the updated Crazier than You from a few days ago. It's not as good.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is reason and she's trying to deflect, as awful that sounds!

I totally get this, and the anxiety of knowing you need to do something but are too anxious to do it is terrible but now I'm at the point where I hate the feeling that knowing I need to do something so much that I normally just reply and know that it's done and can then relax. Especially in current times when people are more flexible and understanding, Carrie only has to write the shortest, barest email saying "thank you but sorry, no".
Yes! 100% this x

If she finds writing rejection emails so hard then why not have a basic “thank you so much for the offer but no thanks” email written out in her notes that she can copy and paste and use as a reply? Not bothering to reply at all is so rude, she clearly thinks she’s hot tit.
Yes this is a great tip! It's something I often say to new performers and freelancers - have a template email for rejections with just a couple of things to personalise it. It helps a lot with the anxiety of saying no to things if you haven't got an agent to do it for you.

That livestream she did of Into the Unknown was evidence that her voice is not what it was. The damage she caused it by selfishly singing through tonsillitis has caused it.

You can even hear it in the updated Crazier than You from a few days ago. It's not as good.

I wouldn't be surprised if that is reason and she's trying to deflect, as awful that sounds!
She's hinted in several videos that there was a lot of pressure from those in charge at Heaters that she should not be off when she was sick - seemed she felt a lot of pressure about that at the time, so I wouldn't say it was selfishness. It's a shame if it has damaged her voice, and I'm surprised that she doesn't seem to take care of her voice that much... like going to a singing teacher to regularly get reminded about how to sing in a healthy way that preserves the voice. And I think she mentioned at some point that she never used to warm up during her first run as Eponine - she just walked on and her voice did its thing (I guess she would warm up with the company, but maybe she meant she didn't used to warm up again for specific solo songs/big numbers?). I think it's a bit strange that she was in professional musical theatre, but didn't realise that there's a reason to warm up, to make sure your body is ready for it and to protect your voice in the short and long run.

Reactions: 6
She's hinted in several videos that there was a lot of pressure from those in charge at Heaters that she should not be off when she was sick - seemed she felt a lot of pressure about that at the time, so I wouldn't say it was selfishness. It's a shame if it has damaged her voice, and I'm surprised that she doesn't seem to take care of her voice that much... like going to a singing teacher to regularly get reminded about how to sing in a healthy way that preserves the voice. And I think she mentioned at some point that she never used to warm up during her first run as Eponine - she just walked on and her voice did its thing (I guess she would warm up with the company, but maybe she meant she didn't used to warm up again for specific solo songs/big numbers?). I think it's a bit strange that she was in professional musical theatre, but didn't realise that there's a reason to warm up, to make sure your body is ready for it and to protect your voice in the short and long run.
Okay, poor choice of words on my behalf so I apologise! 😅

I mainly said it because I know she's encouraged fans in the past not to see her understudies and always comes across hostile to them. As she's never publicly acknowledged hers despite being so active on social media. I'm aware she's not obligated to do so, but would be a nice thing to do.

I'm also surprised as well especially considering she started so young, you'd think it would be built in her from a young age about the importance of protecting your voice.

Reactions: 1
The managers at Heathers demanding she perform even when she's sick just goes further to prove she was a stunt casting - they built their marketing campaign around her and knew that if she had time off it would massively impact their sales.

Reactions: 9
How long until Carrie realized we moved here from GG and starts posting here to defend herself? She stopped posting selfies with eyes closed 👀

Reactions: 3
I know and am aware that I’m doing it but I genuinely hope she isn’t reading here!
It’s gossip. She is in the public eye and people gossip
Carrie as a general announcement if you are reading here please don’t hear these comments like gg and hear it out. I for one would be interested to hear from you

Only Six so far have come up with a game plan of doing Drive In shows across the country (announced today on Twitter). I haven't heard of any other shows doing anything yet. Cinderella is looking unlikely to me :unsure:

Six would work as a drive in because it's practically a pop concert in terms of delivery, from what I have seen of past promo

Six stage is simple, I don’t think it would work with other musical productions that have complicated stages and I don’t think it would be the best idea to premier Cinderella with

Sorry if the convo has moved on a bit but I’m a few pages behind and just to add on the privilege/Disney subject, wasn’t there references made as to how the Sherman Brothers were or became ‘family friends’ to her and her family, you know the same Sherman Brothers who wrote most of the Disney songs back catalog. I honestly can’t see how she can try and spin that as relatable in any way at all

• Wow
Reactions: 9
I suspect she is reading here due the sudden burst of eyes-open pictures but is probably in a reasonably good frame of mind - what with the new cat, plus Oliver there 24/7. Watch for the meltdowns once she has to spend time alone and Cinderella falls through.

Only Six so far have come up with a game plan of doing Drive In shows across the country (announced today on Twitter). I haven't heard of any other shows doing anything yet. Cinderella is looking unlikely to me :unsure:

Six would work as a drive in because it's practically a pop concert in terms of delivery, from what I have seen of past promo
Yes SIX started as an Edinburgh show so is naturally very simple to deliver, there is no set to speak of, not many props to manage and I don't remember any costume changes so very little backstage crew needed once it is underway. Just the six ladies that come on and off stage as their songs require, and three (I think) musicians that play from a raised bit behind the queens. A lot of clever and well programmed concert-style lighting behind them and that's it. A very simple (but very good) show that will adapt quite well to this drive-in thing they're planning, although one of the good things about it was the way the audience were packed right up to the performers concert-style (indeed they would always make a point of interacting with some of the front couple of row audience and their cameraphones during the megasix bit at the end) so I'm not sure if it's going to be quite as good when the audience is as spaced out and distant as they will be at a drive-in.

Some other shows lend themselves to being put on in a more basic concert style performance, for instance the BBC has done a few Proms performances of stuff like Kiss Me Kate like that, and of course Carrie's own Les Mis exists in a stripped back concert version (as she was in for a few months last year) but they tend to be very well known shows (so they can get away with skipping or shortening any talky scenes) and in general they still have costumes and props because audiences expect them (which means backstage crew which means can't really be done for now). If I'm not mistaken she did already take part in some super basic "sing through" or "try out" one-off performances of the Cinderella songs at the Other Palace theatre some time ago but I can't see ALW putting more of those on, they are just used in the development of new shows and would be impossible to get audiences to pay much to see, beyond a couple of performances.

No I think Cinderella will now stagnate for at least a year if not more, may never be put on properly. It might become ALW's latest By Jeeves or Beautiful Game and like those shows barely see the inside of a theatre at all.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.