Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Phil I Buster

VIP Member
I find this very convenient to be honest. 😂😂😂
I don't see much difference in your feminism and Carrie's, picking only feminist concepts that are convenient to you.

If someone claims that talking to the parents is outdated and sees the woman as someone to be owned by men and is so outraged by this, an engagement ring should also be seen in the same way. As should be the father walking the bride into the church and handing her over to the husband.

Either they're all now sentimental gestures with a nice meaning behind them or they're associated with the concept of ownership of the woman.
It’s honestly not for you to determine someone’s feminism. As someone upthread said, feminism means allowing women to choose what they want to do and what they believe in. You can’t police feminism and it doesn’t have an arbitrary list of dos and donts.

• Heart
Reactions: 55
Schrodinger's Relationship: bragging that you spent so much time together a 5 months engagement makes sense whilst simultaneously whinging that you never get to see each other.

• Haha
Reactions: 53

Gisela

Two things I'd like to point out: First, Carrie always brands herself as a huge feminist, but Joel mentioned that he asked her parents for permission before proposing to her, because it was the right thing to do or something along these lines. Asking for the parent’s permission before getting engaged to your female partner is like the least feminist thing you can do in my opinion. Why would you ask her parents if you can marry their 29 year old daughter? It dates back to times when women were their father’s property and through marriage, ownership just got transferred to another man, when women were not to be trusted to make their own choices in life. That’s literally the first association I had when hearing that. So like… please explain to me, how it’s the proper thing to ask her parents first in 2022? Tell me how that whole thing is cute and not really, really sexist? She’s an adult, why would he need to ask her parents?

And I mean many couples to things that I find very problematic and toxic. As a society there are a lot of unhealthy patterns we need to unlearn. But Carrie’s brand is “feminist, strong independent woman” and this just doesn’t seem to fit into that at all. If I found out my partner asked my parents if they could marry me I would for sure not marry them. (Also my parents would probably say wtf, you need to ask her, not us, who are you really trying to get married to?) How is that cute? Please make it make sense.

Second thing is Joel posting about the Football World Cup. The World Cup is hosted by Qatar this year and a lot of people are calling for a boycott because there are so many issues with that (6,500 workers dying while building the stadiums, human rights situation in Qatar, especially regarding women and LGBTQ+ people, sooooo much corruption, watch the John Oliver video if you’re interested). It’s one thing to watch it as a fan. It’s another thing to post about it as an influencer. I mean it’s on brand with Carrie working with brands like Nestlé and Harry Potter, but Joel posting about the World Cup just rubs me the wrong way. If you watch it, you could at least be quiet about it.

• Heart
  • Wow

Sping

She gets less than 100 comments for most of her posts. Their joint account barely gets 50 comments. Maybe she only gets free stuff so that her famous friends/brother will see and end up buying some. Although I despise the term 'influencer' she is really doing a shoddy job at being one.
Oh she definitely influences me. Like, if she gets cast in something it influences me to not go see it until she's left.

• Haha

Otterley

How long until they show buttcracks again?
Not sure if I am missing the mark but this reads to me as:
- Joel is a bit more round than I am, so I automatically feel better about myself.
- Joel constantly praises me and tells me I am beautiful (somewhat nice but also a bit suffocating)
- Oliver didn’t make me feel beautiful or sexy and is a big meanie because I am a beautiful goddess who gets naked on the beach and instagram (I then read this as Oliver was slimmer than me and therefore I felt shit).

Reactions: 51

onasidequest

VIP Member
Two things I'd like to point out: First, Carrie always brands herself as a huge feminist, but Joel mentioned that he asked her parents for permission before proposing to her, because it was the right thing to do or something along these lines. Asking for the parent’s permission before getting engaged to your female partner is like the least feminist thing you can do in my opinion. Why would you ask her parents if you can marry their 29 year old daughter? It dates back to times when women were their father’s property and through marriage, ownership just got transferred to another man, when women were not to be trusted to make their own choices in life. That’s literally the first association I had when hearing that. So like… please explain to me, how it’s the proper thing to ask her parents first in 2022? Tell me how that whole thing is cute and not really, really sexist? She’s an adult, why would he need to ask her parents?

And I mean many couples to things that I find very problematic and toxic. As a society there are a lot of unhealthy patterns we need to unlearn. But Carrie’s brand is “feminist, strong independent woman” and this just doesn’t seem to fit into that at all. If I found out my partner asked my parents if they could marry me I would for sure not marry them. (Also my parents would probably say wtf, you need to ask her, not us, who are you really trying to get married to?) How is that cute? Please make it make sense.
I'd say the phrase is outdated. People these days tend to 'ask for your blessing'. To me then, you're saying 'I love your daughter, I want to be her life partner, I hope I'm good enough for her'. It's less about what you gain in terms of a wife/object and more about what you can do to serve her.

• Heart
Reactions: 50

JustaLurker102

Just got back from seeing the panto in Canterbury - was amazing as always!
However fletcher ruins it imo. Over acting and you can just tell she believes she is the star of the show. First out the stage door greeting 'fans' when no one was actually wanting to see her.
I felt as though the music was too loud for her voice, you couldn't actually hear her until the end of the line when her voice rose.
I wondered if I was just being a bitch seen as she isn't my favourite person but she did a duet with the another actress and there was just no comparison. Fletcher was just noise.
Aside from the over the top acting, she really needs to learn when she comes on stage and the audience boo her (she is the baddy) she needs to wait until the noise dies down before she starts her lines, half her lines go unheard!

• Wow

snowfairy17

VIP Member
I’m watching the live and I’m at the bit where they start talking about the engagement and my word it’s uncomfortable

I can’t upload the screen recording I took but surely when your partner is talking about proposing to you you’d look happier than this?

Attachments

• Wow
  • Haha

jolene4745

VIP Member
I’m staying with my boyfriend for a few days and he just said to me “ Hey how’s that weird guy that looks like a thumb, any updates? Have they broken up yet?” I am finished 💀💀😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 49

PixieLOL

I skipped ahead to get the Cinderella gossip - basically Carrie's character (Carrieboss) has two velociraptor ugly step sisters called "Lloyd" and "Webber" and a phantom of the opera chord plays when they are mentioned, which happens a lot.

One of Carrie's entrances includes the line "Did somebody say my name?" (the first line she has in ALW Cinderella)

At the end of the show, Carrie's evil plan is foiled and the panto dame says that as punishment "We'll make her star in a ALW musical" and Carrie responds "Anything but that!"

Also MickeyJo notes that Carrie probably didn't write these jokes but "the person who wrote the panto, it's just their sense of humor" or something along those lines. Maybe, as a professional theatre reviewer, he should know who wrote the panto? That's pretty accessible info! It's Paul Hendry, who also directed it.

He did like her performance and noted that he wanted her to belt at some point, but it's not her fault she couldn't, and also he wanted her to do more panto/ audience interaction and it's not her fault she didn't do that but that the long-time panto performers, He basically wanted her to be the main character, I think, but actually, it sounds like the panto overall is very ensemble-y and lots of fun!
my jaw has hit the floor with this info. I know Panto’s are cheeky and have little in-jokes about the actors etc but her performing so many jokes/digs towards ALW is surely career suicide!? If she hadn’t already burnt a bridge then this definitely does it. So many digs that come across so bitter and such direct attacks o m g

ALW is awful, his behaviour and personality but surely she knows she’s not a big enough name to drag him so much like this? Especially as they were so fond of each other in the beginning. Like, What does she gain? The jokes aren’t even funny, they’re just bitter and I’m only laughing because the situation is so wild to me, I love the drama of it all but ooooof.

Maybe I’m being dramatic but that feels like such a bad move. Curious to see how she moves forward in the next few years. He’s a twat but he’s a lot more connected (& has a lot more influence) than her and I feel like this will be a moment she thinks back on with cringe and dread. Maybe. I’m already cringing anyway.

Reactions: 48

Letmeinnn

Joel's doing a live. Apparently he's mates with Scarlett Moffat?

He says he's most like the genie from aladdin as 'he's fun'
Someone asked him what he named the seahorse and he had no idea what they were on about. Can't have liked the gift that much lol

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 48

Must42

Olivia Moore has just shared a “first Christmas engaged” tree decoration on her story… what would Carrie and Joel have? “First Christmas engaged” or “First Christmas ever”?!

• Haha
Reactions: 47

Chicarica

Who called it!?

She already complaining of a cold. Queue the missing performances because she's just so ill guys

• Haha
Reactions: 46
Going back to understudies in Panto - I’ve worked a couple of Panto seasons and although there might not be official understudies who are on standby there will always be a chorus member who will study the role of the *star* just incase anyone is sick or gets stuck on a train coming back after a day off (COUGH - Nigel Havers….) but they don’t get a a lot of rehearsal time, so chances are they might not be on top form when just thrown on… however chorus members are some of the hardest working people on stage, learning their own roles as well as others.

As for Carrie having a ‘Carrie-Splain’ moment with just how hard her job is… imagine how much harder everyone has it working backstage - our call time is usually hours before the cast, and we don’t leave until a good hour or so after the show some nights. Remember Carrie you also get to stand on stage getting clapped and called the best thing in the world… backstage people don’t get anywhere near enough recognition for the work they put in… so maybe shut up? 🤷‍♀️

• Heart

MortalFool9

At the end of the day, feminism is about choice, is it not? As long as no one's being forced into anything and the practice of asking the parents blessing remains simply a tradition, the feminist choice is whatever the woman chooses to do. I consider myself no less feminist for asking my husband to talk to my parents and having my dad walk me down the ailse, because I made that decision for myself. But then again, I'm from the UK so it's more common here!

• Heart