Carrie Hope Fletcher #2 The Carrie Hope Fletcher Show

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
She was on the cover of that mindfulness magazine talking about her anxiety and I sent her a insta question asking if she had been diagnosed with anxiety. That was when she blocked me from her stories.

• Wow
Reactions: 8
She was on the cover of that mindfulness magazine talking about her anxiety and I sent her a insta question asking if she had been diagnosed with anxiety. That was when she blocked me from her stories.
It's as if she didn't want to be questioned!

Reactions: 2
My question for you is, would you hear the nice person if they tried to make a stand in a nice way? If a nice person ‘grows a backbone’ they start to come across as witch. Confident women are constantly called out and there is no middle ground.
I was very quiet at school and my confidence grew as I got older. A lot of people called me a witch when I was just standing up for myself- I wasn’t being mean or a bully,I was just letting my voice be heard.
Carrie goes on the offensive when people criticise her. You can understand why, but at the same time she’s had yes people around her since she was a child. Her brother was a pop star, she was in the West End as a kid and left school at 16 to write a musical with her brother in LA! Can you imagine what she would be like if she’d been through a-levels and University/drama school? Probably a completely different person. If given the same opportunities she may have dropped out of uni to do Les Mis, but it’s interesting to think about how education may have changed her.
I think my point is that I think culture will eventually find a happy medium where people can disagree without people getting overly aggressive. I do agree that simply standing up for one's self is often wrongly interpreted as being a witch, but I think that Carrie's decision to go on a blocking spree towards anyone who disagrees with her is a reflection of how personally attacked she feels when people disagree with her. I think that standing up for yourself is a very necessary thing to do, but I think that acting out in an aggressive way may have the potential to escalate situations. In more extreme cases, I can understand using violence or an aggressive voice as a last resort, but in Carrie's case, I just don't understand how she sees her aggressive nature helping anything. I think that there is a middle ground. I just don't think that we, as a culture, have found it yet.

It's possible for sure, but Tom has it and tbh you'd never know. Maybe he knows to step away from social media during an episode, or he has a better support structure I dont know.

The problem with Carrie is you wouldnt put it past her to say she has it or use it for attention and sympathy. especially as she has an insight into how people who have it behave. If she has been tested and told she doesnt have it then theres no real reason to question that. they don't treat these things lightly

I hate to say it but it wouldn't surprise me, espically with the whole hetroflexible bull

I think my point is that I think culture will eventually find a happy medium where people can disagree without people getting overly aggressive. I do agree that simply standing up for one's self is often wrongly interpreted as being a witch, but I think that Carrie's decision to go on a blocking spree towards anyone who disagrees with her is a reflection of how personally attacked she feels when people disagree with her. I think that standing up for yourself is a very necessary thing to do, but I think that acting out in an aggressive way may have the potential to escalate situations. In more extreme cases, I can understand using violence or an aggressive voice as a last resort, but in Carrie's case, I just don't understand how she sees her aggressive nature helping anything. I think that there is a middle ground. I just don't think that we, as a culture, have found it yet.
I have actually wondered if Carrie’s aggression comes from a place of insecurity.
For example her reaction to the drama student wondering why there are professional musical theatre actors who can’t read music. She took it personally because she knows she can’t read music and felt as if she was being called out. She knows if she went to university or drama school and studied musical theatre she would have been taught to read music but she chose not to. Even her brother doesn’t really read music. I saw one of Tom’s vlogs where he admits he writes music in one key (I think it was D or E major) and gets his keyboard to transpose into other keys. Then McFly did a tour where they played all their albums in order and he actually learned to play all the songs in the right key. Seeing her brother succeed as a song writer without that kind of training probably gave her a false sense of security. The thing is her behaviour on social media will be offending a lot of people and giving her a reputation she probably doesn’t want to have. If she keeps blowing up at people without thinking, before long no one will want to hire her. I feel that Ollie does wind her down a little because most of her outbursts happen when she is alone. I do think her main problem is that she doesn’t think before she tweets. We all know she doesn’t read her answers before posting them on her Insta Q&As but there’s always typos and she comes across as aggressive when someone asks her a genuine question. She definitely needs social media training. I doubt she ever will though because she always puts down the idea of personal and professional development ie, why would I get dance lessons when I’m not a dancer? Maybe to learn a new skill so you can go for more roles, expand your character type? After having friends in the industry doing everything they can to expand their skill set so that they can go on as many auditions as possible, I do wonder what on earth Carrie did to deserve it? I’ve been rewatching some of her older vlogs and she seemed so much nicer when she was doing Chitty. That was the job she met Scott and Molly on. Addams is where I can see the biggest change. It just seemed to bring out the worst in her as well as being the job where she met Oliver. I wonder if the scrutiny on her relationships caused her to lash out?

Reactions: 9
I've been watching some of her older videos and there is a huge difference in the way she was then and the way she is now.

I still like her old vlogs and will watch them from to time.

The change definitely shifted around the Addams rehearsals.

I have often thought (someone said this earlier too) if the change came because she was tired of being seen as the honourary big sister. She no longer wanted to be squeaky clean. I think she made a video about it.

There is nothing wrong with growing up and changing. However, it just seems like such a major shift in a short period of time.

Reactions: 1
I’m wondering if it was a combination of her wanting to shed the big sister image and also, with her break up with Pete/hook up with Oliver she realised that she may be viewed negatively so started to build up that stand-offish barrier

I think that the roles that she has played over the years have greatly changed her. As someone who loves movies and t.v., I can testify that the movies and tv that I watch can deeply affect my attitude and behavior over time. I think a production like Chitty is a pretty family friendly show, whereas productions like The Addams Family and Heathers have a more adult, "sexy" tone. I remember in one video, Carried said that she wanted to adopt Wednesday's line of, "Get board, or simply move along." I think that she really internalized Wednesday's character during that production and I think that she has a habit of doing this with every role she plays, which is really interesting. It's almost like a spin-off of method acting haha. I also think that Heather's also encouraged that dynamic/aggressive behavior because it's not family friendly. It deals with real life emotions and situations.

That's an interesting take. She definitely did get very obsessive about wanting to be like Wednesday from my recollection. I kind of feel like she finds it hard to detach from her character and who she really is.

I think that the roles that she has played over the years have greatly changed her. As someone who loves movies and t.v., I can testify that the movies and tv that I watch can deeply affect my attitude and behavior over time. I think a production like Chitty is a pretty family friendly show, whereas productions like The Addams Family and Heathers have a more adult, "sexy" tone. I remember in one video, Carried said that she wanted to adopt Wednesday's line of, "Get board, or simply move along." I think that she really internalized Wednesday's character during that production and I think that she has a habit of doing this with every role she plays, which is really interesting. It's almost like a spin-off of method acting haha. I also think that Heather's also encouraged that dynamic/aggressive behavior because it's not family friendly. It deals with real life emotions and situations.
That's an interesting take. She definitely did get very obsessive about wanting to be like Wednesday from my recollection. I kind of feel like she finds it hard to detach from her character and who she really is.
This is really interesting.

I might be wrong but might this suggest BPD? A difficulty in maintaining a consistent sense of self?

I think Oliver is very serious about his "craft", and Carrie hasn't had to work for what she's been given, and ridden off the back of her brother, with her books, YouTube, etc. She wouldn't have got the work she has if it wasn't for Tom. He even paid for her to go to private school. She's adopted a grown up style now. She looks 60+.

I am not trying to control what is discussed, but I just want to add my two cents: I studied psychology (I am not a therapist), but even therapists cannot speculate on whether or not someone in the public eye has a diagnosis. There is such a lot that factors in, and it's not very ethical. I don't think it helps the view of mental health or the discussions on here to debate whether or not Carrie has symptoms of a diagnosis. I do agree with a previous poster that it seems that she can let things grate on her self-esteem - like the tweet about being able to read sheet music. And I agree that she takes that too far a lot/seems to assume the worst. I guess it's human to have such weaknesses, and I certainly have them too, but if I were her I'd perhaps try to think on it before posting, sometimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
That’s Carrie in a nutshell.

I am not trying to control what is discussed, but I just want to add my two cents: I studied psychology (I am not a therapist), but even therapists cannot speculate on whether or not someone in the public eye has a diagnosis. There is such a lot that factors in, and it's not very ethical. I don't think it helps the view of mental health or the discussions on here to debate whether or not Carrie has symptoms of a diagnosis. I do agree with a previous poster that it seems that she can let things grate on her self-esteem - like the tweet about being able to read sheet music. And I agree that she takes that too far a lot/seems to assume the worst. I guess it's human to have such weaknesses, and I certainly have them too, but if I were her I'd perhaps try to think on it before posting, sometimes.
Sorry that was my fault for starting that! It was only because she'd mentioned undergoing tests for it so I hadn't really counted it as speculative.

This is the article https://www.google.com/amp/s/happif...-on-rebuilding-and-believing-in-yourself/amp/

Carrie shares how recently she was due to meet her boyfriend – fellow West End actor Oliver Ormson – and his castmates for drinks after rehearsals. As she approached the bar, Carrie felt her heart begin to beat faster as anxiety, at the thought of walking into a room full of people she didn’t know, set in. The evening went absolutely fine, and afterwards Carrie was frustrated that she spent so much time worrying about it.
It also says on the cover "Les Mis star Carrie Hope Fletcher shows anxiety can affect the most unlikely people"
This is why I asked her if she had been diagnosed with anxiety because there is a difference between having anxiety and feeling anxious at times.

I get anxious in certain situations like this, I hate asking for help in a shop, making phone calls, I've even lost friends but I feel like messaging them is bothering them so we end up just not talking anymore. I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety, I've never had a panic attack, and I wouldn't say I have anxiety. I think I'm just shy and socially awkward.
People use the word anxiety so freely online now you don't know if they have an anxiety disorder or are just feeling anxious...

Her anxiety has never been mentioned again as far as I am aware, since I'm blocked from her stories! If she had been diagnosed surely it's something she would take about more and use her platform to spread awareness.

Reactions: 13
I have actually wondered if Carrie’s aggression comes from a place of insecurity.
For example her reaction to the drama student wondering why there are professional musical theatre actors who can’t read music. She took it personally because she knows she can’t read music and felt as if she was being called out. She knows if she went to university or drama school and studied musical theatre she would have been taught to read music but she chose not to. Even her brother doesn’t really read music. I saw one of Tom’s vlogs where he admits he writes music in one key (I think it was D or E major) and gets his keyboard to transpose into other keys. Then McFly did a tour where they played all their albums in order and he actually learned to play all the songs in the right key. Seeing her brother succeed as a song writer without that kind of training probably gave her a false sense of security. The thing is her behaviour on social media will be offending a lot of people and giving her a reputation she probably doesn’t want to have. If she keeps blowing up at people without thinking, before long no one will want to hire her. I feel that Ollie does wind her down a little because most of her outbursts happen when she is alone. I do think her main problem is that she doesn’t think before she tweets. We all know she doesn’t read her answers before posting them on her Insta Q&As but there’s always typos and she comes across as aggressive when someone asks her a genuine question. She definitely needs social media training. I doubt she ever will though because she always puts down the idea of personal and professional development ie, why would I get dance lessons when I’m not a dancer? Maybe to learn a new skill so you can go for more roles, expand your character type? After having friends in the industry doing everything they can to expand their skill set so that they can go on as many auditions as possible, I do wonder what on earth Carrie did to deserve it? I’ve been rewatching some of her older vlogs and she seemed so much nicer when she was doing Chitty. That was the job she met Scott and Molly on. Addams is where I can see the biggest change. It just seemed to bring out the worst in her as well as being the job where she met Oliver. I wonder if the scrutiny on her relationships caused her to lash out?
Exactly. I am from a working class background with a comprehensive school that never actually showed us music scores on paper... Everything was auditory based and they stopped the lessons after year 9. I couldn't afford piano lessons as a kid, but during lockdown I got myself a piano and have been teaching myself to read music through beginners piano books and videos. Now Carrie has been in the business what like 6 years or so? So why couldn't she have spent say an hour a week teaching herself to read music? It is so accessible these days if you have internet access. So many music theory youtubers, so many tutorials... She could remedy her insecurity about being unable to read music fairly quickly without having to go to stage school. But I think you are right, she's touchy about not having been to stage school.

Reactions: 3
Sorry that was my fault for starting that! It was only because she'd mentioned undergoing tests for it so I hadn't really counted it as speculative.
I thought your post was fine - I also remember her mentioning that. It was more the speculations from others about symptoms etc that I was thinking of.

This is the article https://www.google.com/amp/s/happif...-on-rebuilding-and-believing-in-yourself/amp/

This is why I asked her if she had been diagnosed with anxiety because there is a difference between having anxiety and feeling anxious at times.

I get anxious in certain situations like this, I hate asking for help in a shop, making phone calls, I've even lost friends but I feel like messaging them is bothering them so we end up just not talking anymore. I haven't been diagnosed with anxiety, I've never had a panic attack, and I wouldn't say I have anxiety. I think I'm just shy and socially awkward.
People use the word anxiety so freely online now you don't know if they have an anxiety disorder or are just feeling anxious...

Her anxiety has never been mentioned again as far as I am aware, since I'm blocked from her stories! If she had been diagnosed surely it's something she would take about more and use her platform to spread awareness.
In a blog post of hers about 2 months after that article came out titled "Enough is Enough" she did mention "I've been in counselling and have been diagnosed with anxiety triggered by work related stress."

Panic attacks are not a requirement for an anxiety diagnosis. I get anxious in all of the same situations as you do as well as a few others and I have been diagnosed with social anxiety (I do very occasionally have panic attacks, but I was diagnosed before those started). It comes down to how distressing those situations are for you and how big the impact is on your life, obviously I can't tell you if you can or can't be diagnosed. But if it causes you distress, if you feel like the fear is excessive, or you go out of your way to avoid those situations then, if you have the ability to, there's no shame in going to a professional.

Reactions: 3
Ah, she had such a glow about her back then, didn’t she? Her hair was a beautiful iconic lion mane and she actually smiled from time to time. Comparison time - Now she‘s just an angry, mousey brown shut-in. Barely recognisable from those days 🙃
This makes me so sad 😢

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.