Caroline Flack

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven’t caught up with the whole thread yet but have just heard from a (absolutely devastated) friend that poor Caroline was badly let down by the laws regarding mental health crises in this instance. I don’t want to say what my friends job is, but he is well positioned to know the truth about the inner workings of police work/social services etc and is not a bullshitter, so I have no reason to disbelieve this: She apparently took an overdose the night before she died and was visited by paramedics. The dose was not so toxic that she needed medical attention and she didn’t didn’t reach “threshold” for sectioning and refused to accompany medics to hospital for a psychological assessment - although her friend that was staying with her and parents wanted her sectioned so that she would have no choice but to go to hospital and get help. The next morning she seemed brighter and her friend that was staying over to look after her went out to the shop. They came back 15 minutes later and she had dead-bolted the door and hanged herself. Took them more than an hour once emergency services were called to get inside the flat.

My friend said that as soon as the call came in saying a woman in the area Caroline lived had been found hanged he knew immediately who it was. He also said that the paramedics who couldn’t section her but couldn’t persuade her to come to hospital on Friday night are absolutely flattened with shock and regret- although of course it is not their fault. My friend thinks there’s a strong argument for the threshold to be sectioned to be lowered as a result of this; he said that she was very clearly a danger to herself and needed the assessment of a doctor. To think that someone who has purposefully taken even a small overdose doesn’t count as being ill enough to reach the lower limited necessary to be helped against their own will is terrifying.

Poor, dear girl and her poor family and friends and those poor emergency workers who couldn’t do more for her. I hope that she has now found peace
God this rings so true to me, it actually sent a shiver down my spine.

I had a suicide attempt almost two years ago and exactly the same thing happened - wasn’t a toxic dose, a crisis team visited me the same night and that was it.

I don’t blame the MH staff at all - but it really isn’t good enough. There is never enough psychiatric beds for the need at any one time.

I’m absolutely horrified by this story. RIP Caroline.

• Sad
Reactions: 16
To lay this tragedy at the hands of the media is really reductive. Caroline had been dealing with the press most of her adult life. It’s doubtful that negative press was the instigator, probably a symptom yes, but not what pushed her over the edge. The trouble is no one ever knows the thought process behind a suicide. Everything is speculation as there is no source. She should be left to RIP
It seems that it was the thought of her ‘dirty laundry’ being aired in court and then splashed across the papers had a big part to play in it from what I’ve read.
as above, if she had plead guilty that would have all been avoided though wouldn’t it? She seems to have gotten bad advice.

Reactions: 10
It seems that it was the thought of her ‘dirty laundry’ being aired in court and then splashed across the papers had a big part to play in it from what I’ve read.
as above, if she had plead guilty that would have all been avoided though wouldn’t it? She seems to have gotten bad advice.
If she pleased guilty she would have no doubt lost all her TV work pleading guilty to domestic violence? I think she was probably advised to plead not guilty and then they tried to stop the trial by saying she was ill and suffering with mental health problems but that failed and she was told it was still going ahead and advised she may face a custodial trial therefore, again her career would be over.

Reactions: 3
If she pleased guilty she would have no doubt lost all her TV work pleading guilty to domestic violence? I think she was probably advised to plead not guilty and then they tried to stop the trial by saying she was ill and suffering with mental health problems but that failed and she was told it was still going ahead and advised she may face a custodial trial therefore, again her career would be over.
Her career wasn’t worth her life though. It’s just so sad regardless that she felt there was no other way out :(

Reactions: 8
How can she when she publicly posted a video of a message she was leaving for her mum as she was about to kill herself? I think her Mum and Auntie have always looked after him from when he was born. She's not stable enough really. Although she sorted herself for a while but was then working on Hollyoaks so would have needed someone to have him then as well.

Sorry, we are derailing the thread. Maybe someone can open a thread on Stephanie?
She has a thread.

This is what I’ve been thinking since I first heard. The fact that her friend just ‘popped to the shops’ means she must have done something very quickly. I’m not pretending to know lots about the ins and outs of it all, how she was feeling or her situation, but My immediate thought when it happened was that she had taken a load of tablets/drugs etc and sometimes I know this can be a cry for help which sometimes does or doesn’t work. She must have done something very quickly and with great intent and this really upsets me. I have no experience with mh but can’t stop feeling so sad for her. The fact that the emergency services checked her over the day before must mean that she was at risk. Was her friend staying over with her? She must have thought that if the professionals are happy then it’s ok for me to nip to the shops. So very sad!
If she took tablets ,and her friend just pop
God this rings so true to me, it actually sent a shiver down my spine.

I had a suicide attempt almost two years ago and exactly the same thing happened - wasn’t a toxic dose, a crisis team visited me the same night and that was it.

I don’t blame the MH staff at all - but it really isn’t good enough. There is never enough psychiatric beds for the need at any one time.

I’m absolutely horrified by this story. RIP Caroline.
There has been something on tv recently called Losing my Mind, the last episode was following a crisis team around, these poor desperate souls were BEGGING to be sectioned as they felt they were either a danger to themselves or others, they just didn't have the beds to admit them, it was very sad. The staff felt like they had let down the patient, so can only imagine how bereaved the team that visited Caroline on Friday now feel 😪

Reactions: 6
How can she when she publicly posted a video of a message she was leaving for her mum as she was about to kill herself? I think her Mum and Auntie have always looked after him from when he was born. She's not stable enough really. Although she sorted herself for a while but was then working on Hollyoaks so would have needed someone to have him then as well.

Sorry, we are derailing the thread. Maybe someone can open a thread on Stephanie?

Reactions: 2
For clarity, people who request a hospital admission will not be sectioned, they would be admitted to hospital voluntarily/informally. Sectioning someone is the power to detain someone in hospital for assessment and treatment against their will.

Reactions: 7
For clarity, people who request a hospital admission will not be sectioned, they would be admitted to hospital voluntarily/informally. Sectioning someone is the power to detain someone in hospital for assessment and treatment against their will.
True. My MiL was sectioned by her Dr who was concerned for her welfare (she had previous nervous breakdowns). My MiL was going around acting bizarrely but she thought there was nothing wrong with her it was everyone around her that was concerned.

Reactions: 2
Actually yeah it does. It’s common assault at least, more of it caused an Injury.
would it be ok if my partner threw items at me because I ‘piss him off’ - no of course not. it’s not ok to throw tit at anyone.
It’s fair to say that the scene, injuries and evidence has built up a fair picture of what occurred. It’s not like she just tickled him is it and that caused the need for hospital Treatment, blood everywhere and smashed glass and lampshade.
I thought it had been reported that actually the blood was hers

Even if she'd pled guilty, the facts of the case would still be outlined when sentencing her although not in as much detail (I think - that's certainly what happens when a defendant pleads guilty in a murder trial)

Not sure if the bodycam footage, crime scene photographs and 999 call would have been made public if she had.

It would have saved the media onslaught of a two day trial though.

Reactions: 4
I can’t imagine how awful the paramedics feel and her friend for popping to the shop. How awful Caroline felt she had to do that while she had the chance when alone. It’s so upsetting to even think about..

My sister is a drug addict and recently took an overdose as a cry for help, she was taken into hospital and put on a ward with a 24 hour nurse by her bedside. After 36 hours they let her go home. She’s admitted to drug taking, social services are threatening to take her children and my sister has now been diagnosed with bipolar but they let her go home. My mum has to watch her and the mental health team come out daily to see her. My sister goes out often to see friends who do drugs and my mum says at 29 how can she physically stop her, she’s convincing my mum she’s not doing drugs anymore and stupidly my mum believes her and doesn’t try to stop her going. Anyone who makes a suicide attempt should be in hospital until they’re helped and in a better place. More money needs to go into mental health treatment within the NHS.

Last edited:
  • Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
When her boyfriend posted that he will be her voice and will promise to ask all the questions she wanted and he will get all the answers. I wonder what questions he's referring to?

Reactions: 8
This is horrific. How desperate she must have felt.😥. I can’t understand why it took so long to get in I was under the impression her friend called Caroline’s dad who had a spare key
Presumably the friend went out without a key and expected Caroline to let her in when she got back?

Even if she'd pled guilty, the facts of the case would still be outlined when sentencing her although not in as much detail (I think - that's certainly what happens when a defendant pleads guilty in a murder trial)

Not sure if the bodycam footage, crime scene photographs and 999 call would have been made public if she had.

It would have saved the media onslaught of a two day trial though.
Yes but stuff like the body cam footage wouldn’t have been out there which I’ve seen mentioned a few times as it obviously showed her in a state. Guess it doesn’t matter now. As I said before it’s just sad she couldn’t see any other way out

Reactions: 1
You know there’s a presumption of innocence in this country. I’m really shocked reading what some people are writing in here with minimal actual facts.

Just a couple of things.

No one under the age of 18 charged with assault by beating is granted anonymity.

She would have had a fair trial. There is no jury involved at a magistrate's court, only three magistrates who preside. And they most probably would never even have heard of Caroline Flack (I can say this pretty confidently as my partner is a magistrate, chair in training, and he is one of the youngest in his area at the age of 48) although obviously they would be aware of the press attention. They can only find on the evidence presented in court and they also have a qualified legal adviser there (who basically runs the court) to ensure they are doing everything by the book as far as sentencing. I have been to observe!

My partner absolutely thinks she should have pled guilty at the first opportunity.
Hang on. I thought your partner (a magistrate) is meant not to have heard of Caroline Flack. You are also saying that magistrates only make a decision based on “evidence presented in court”. Interesting. So has your partner seen all the evidence then to say so categorically that Caroline should have “pled guilty at the first opportunity”. Or has he just relied on the tabloid press? I thought that magistrates didn’t read that stuff you said? I thought you said she’d have a “fair trial”.

Seriously. We know barely anything about the facts involved in all this.Maybe Caroline pled not guilty because she didn’t do it. What happened to the ‘presumption of innocence’ that magistrates are meant to uphold.

One final question about Caroline’s ex (Andrew Brady) who has accused her of being abusive in the past: did he ever go to the police with his allegations or did he just sell them to the tabloid press? (Genuine question, I know nothing about him)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.